PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Mk 4 Golf - Black Upholstery - Stain Problem

tates1979
14-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi all,

1st time post so forgive any mistakes!
Recently bought a Mk4 Golf for my sister, black interior. Generally, the car is in great nick apart from the fact the seats are a bit grubby.

I tried to clean em but the stains, which are slightly lighter than the upholstery, refuse to come out. Im at the point where i think there has been something that has sort of 'bleached' these stains in permanently!

I suppose what im asking - is there any form of conditioning product that will darken these patches back to something like which they once were?

Or is this scientifically impossible??

Cheers for any help you can offer! :1zhelp:

spartacus 68
14-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Depends what you've done to try and clean the seats properly first-time around. I've got a light grey fabric interior - and I'm plagued with water stains, especially in bad weather opening and shutting doors.

I don't know enough about dyes - so can't comment.

My advice would be to use a decent fabric and carpet cleaner such as Meguiar’s Carpet & Interior Cleaner. Once sprayed on, work into the fabric and sponge off the excess. This is the key bit - try and lay your hands on a Polti steam cleaner. Using the terry towelling cover on the small brush attachment, do each seat in turn, taking care not to over-wet an area. Leave windows open. Ideally - you want to do this on a warm day with plenty sunshine.

Once the seats are fully dry, protect them with 3M Scotchgard.

paul b
14-05-2009, 11:57 PM
What I've done in the past is take the seats out, spray with a generous amount of Vanish upholstery cleaner and jet wash them. Worked a treat.

Don't do the above if you don't have a genuine VAG-COM system otherwise you won't be able to turn the airbag warning light off when you're done. :Blush2:

spartacus 68
16-05-2009, 11:17 AM
What I've done in the past is take the seats out, spray with a generous amount of Vanish upholstery cleaner and jet wash them. Worked a treat.

Don't do the above if you don't have a genuine VAG-COM system otherwise you won't be able to turn the airbag warning light off when you're done. :Blush2:

Speechless.

paul b
16-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Speechless.
That would be why?

Obviously you don't do that with leather seats, but we're talking about cloth seats.

spartacus 68
17-05-2009, 11:52 AM
That would be why?

Obviously you don't do that with leather seats, but we're talking about cloth seats.

Jet-washing seats is extreme to say the least. He's not washing down the interior of a transit van!

Most fabrics will be prone to shrinkage, especially if they are soaked. Then there's the possibility of fading - given it sounds like he practicaly 'dunked' the seat in upholstery cleaner.

If the stain is lighter than the surrounding fabric material - I doubt there is a fix for it, other than staining it - which I have no experience off. That's my tuppence worth.:D

spartacus 68
17-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Forgot to mention - seats (with side-airbags) can be removed, however care should be taken when cleaning them. If removing from the car after disconnecting the electrical wiring plug - don't turn on the ignition until they're reconnected. There shouldn't be a problem with VAG.com errors this way.

paul b
17-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Jet-washing seats is extreme to say the least. He's not washing down the interior of a transit van!
You softie! :p

Really though, someone jet washed my van before I got it and have caused an absolute nightmare in doing so, I believe they jet washed into the van with the seats still in place, hence a faulty CCM and what seems to be a number of corroded wires.

No such problem when the seats are removed and left to dry.

tates1979
18-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Cheers for the help folks - much appreciated! I do think im a softie, hadn't entertained the idea of powerwashing the seats!!

Ill go down the added elbow grease route methinks!!

elitedetailer
20-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Hi all,

1st time post so forgive any mistakes!
Recently bought a Mk4 Golf for my sister, black interior. Generally, the car is in great nick apart from the fact the seats are a bit grubby.

I tried to clean em but the stains, which are slightly lighter than the upholstery, refuse to come out. Im at the point where i think there has been something that has sort of 'bleached' these stains in permanently!

I suppose what im asking - is there any form of conditioning product that will darken these patches back to something like which they once were?

Or is this scientifically impossible??

Cheers for any help you can offer! :1zhelp:

Hi Tates,

for interior cleaning this stuff is awesome: 303 Aerospace Cleaner (Larger 32oz bottle) (http://www.elitedetailer.com/cgi-bin/hcat_catalogue.cgi?fa=display&id=79&crid=&cmrid=1&cmpid=2)

It wont leave an odour either.

I hope you get it sorted.

Regards
EliteDetailer

STONEWALL
07-08-2009, 03:59 PM
My advice, is get rid of the car, you will be chasing stained seats around forever. As per my post some months ago about my A4. I love the car, but after the recent rain, again I have to wash the seats due to staining.
I have now noticed that some of the interior plastics are showing signs of wear, in that whatever colour coded spray paint they used on these areas, during maufacture. It is now wearing off, in particular the drivers door grab handle and the area surround the hand brake. This is NOT what I expect from a quality German built car.
I think that it is time to say bye, bye to my beloved A4, because I get no pleasure looking at a `Crabby` interior.:aargh4:

tates1979
07-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Okaaaayyyyyy......

Seats have come up nicely with some of
the stuff previous poster suggested, cheers btw!

As for getting rid of it, I think that's a bit harsh!!

asonofadad
02-10-2009, 11:57 AM
I can vouch for the steam cleaner method, had a mk 2 gti which had been thru the hands of quite a few previous owners and was right grubby, it came up so much brighter and crisper looking than before. Well worth a go so long as you can leave it with windows a bit open and air con/heaters on for a while after.

STONEWALL
02-10-2009, 02:21 PM
I can vouch for the steam cleaner method, had a mk 2 gti which had been thru the hands of quite a few previous owners and was right grubby, it came up so much brighter and crisper looking than before. Well worth a go so long as you can leave it with windows a bit open and air con/heaters on for a while after.
Thanks for that, needless to say, I have still got the car and the stains are still driving me mad.
I will try the steam clean method, can you give me an idea of the make etc of the steam cleaner you speak of. I tried using the kettle, but the water kept on spilling out:biglaugh:

asonofadad
02-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Alas I'm not sure of the brand, it was big and blue! Think it was from argos, I borrowed it off a mate. Ask around, someone'll have one. It was made for carpets and furniture but did fine for the car too

STONEWALL
31-10-2009, 12:34 AM
I have sorted my stain problem.
I have had the seats, headrests armrests and doorcards recovered in leather. This for a lot less than swopping my car would have cost. It is like a new car inside and thankfully it has got rid of that `Crabby` fabric. Never again will I purchase an Audi with fabric seats. A lesson learnt. Everything else about the car is spot on