PDA

View Full Version : Swap my Vancouver 18s for your 17s or 16s ?

nebw
14-05-2009, 01:01 PM
My ex-demo Mk6 has Vancouver 18s on it. They look fantastic and at the moment they're unmarked, but "someone who will drive the car quite a lot and who isn't me" will kerb them given half a chance. I can live with the loss of looks (I'm heading for 40 anyway). Would anyone like to swap for their factory 16s or 17s, plus some cash where appropriate ?

I'm in Devon, but travel up to the Lakes and to the East Midlands occasionally.

Apologies if there is a separate forum for this sort of stuff, but I thought it would be of most interest to Mk6 owners.

But then again, are Mk5 wheels interchangeable ?

onzarob
14-05-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm interested, I have a MK5 with Imola 16's on good tyres too ;)

Thats not an actual pic, but its the style,

PS I did type Mk 6 I meant Mk 5

nebw
15-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks Rob - I'm checking out all the styles of 16s that are around before doing anything else.

I quite like the standard 16s on the Mk6 SE - "Atlanta" - if anyone with those wants to upgrade.

Griff449
15-05-2009, 07:33 PM
I am collecting my Golf GT on 20th June and the 17" wheels are coming straight off as I have already bought a set of aftermarket wheels to go on. If youre interested then you can buy them from me.

I also have a set of new 15" alloy wheels that came off a 09 Ford fiesta if youre after smaller alloys............. let me know anyway as they are both available.

nebw
15-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi Griff,

I may take you up on the 17s if I haven't sorted something else by 20th June. Any idea how much you want for them ? There's not really much Mk6 stuff on ebay (or even new-ish Mk5 OEM stuff), to compare.

Griff449
15-05-2009, 08:31 PM
No probs mate, I was planning on advertising them on EBAY for £650 on the 20th June but open to offers mate. Whereabouts are you as you will need to collect them unless a courior is arranged. :) Prob with the wheels on EBAY is that the chances of getting your hands on a GENUINE VW set is next to nil and as you say nothing at the mo for the MK 6............... Means you can keep the 18" then for putting back on when you sell it in the future.......... Let me know anyway as will be advertising them locally as well. They will be in Aldershot.................
griff@moveronthemove.freeserve.co.uk

They will have had only 80 miles pout on them before I take them off :)

Regards

Griff

Ben
15-05-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm interested in a swap too

these are mine

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/26112006036.jpg

They are 17" 2 part alloys genuine VW i think they are called 'Grand Prix'

Asha
16-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Got me SE coming mid june coming with 16'' atlanta's mate which im taking right off was going to go to an alloy dealer to get some 18's wouldnt mind trading for vancouver's though.

dstill
17-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Got me SE coming mid june coming with 16'' atlanta's mate which im taking right off was going to go to an alloy dealer to get some 18's wouldnt mind trading for vancouver's though.

Me too, i've just ordered the same and want to upgade the alloys as i dont like the Atlanta's or the Vancouvers.

Can anyone give me some advice, i fancy 18 inch alloys but unsure which to go for. I would prefer to stick with VW alloys but cant seem to find any information on VW 18 inch alloys for the MK 6, dont want to put any of the old style alloys on which were available for the MK 5.:beerchug:

Thanks in advance.

Griff449
22-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Mk I know but why not the new R32 style wheels,............................... :)

nebw
22-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Ok - have decided I need to keep the 18s for when I sell the car again, as I've realised most people will not be happy getting a GT on 16s i.e. lower than standard factory spec. So I'm just looking to buy a set of 16s, preferably with delivery milage, for as little cash as possible.

Please can anyone who's interested PM me with an idea of how much they want. At the moment it looks like I can get a set of used but good nick Atlanta 16s for about £250-275 off ebay, to give an idea of what's out there.

Thanks

Griff449
22-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Well as I said my 17" will be available after 20th June with delivery mileage only on them once I collect my car but they wont be as cheap as that! Doubt you would find a set for that price either bud but hope you get sorted anyways ................. :)

nebw
22-05-2009, 11:21 PM
I'm sure you'll get a lot more for 17s or 18s. I guess there aren't many people doing what I'm doing i.e. "downgrading" to 16s.

UltraViolet
29-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Actually, not a 'downgrade' really ....... okay, bigger wheels cost more, but they (combined with the tyres) usually weigh more too.

I did a test with datalogger etc with one of my cars when I upgraded by changing from some 17" wheels to some 15" Enkei rally wheels. The difference in the in-gear acceleration was not insignificant!! Plus although you obviously get more mechanical grip from a bigger tyre footprint - the handling with a slightly larger sidewall can be improved, as well as the unsprung weight obviously helping both handling and mechanical wear on steering components etc.

Having said that, when we choose the 17" or 18" on our Golfs, we are doing so for fashion/looks. I do like the look of the Vancouvers, and given the type of use these cars generally fulfil, a bit of a deterioration in performance isn't usually a concern for most owners.

Griff449
30-05-2009, 09:32 AM
I totally agree with you mate I especially choose looks over performance when it comes to wheels but still want the power lol. Its all about personal preference at the end of the day............. :)

nebw
30-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Sshhhhh ! Don't give away all these secrets about the performance benefits of smaller wheels until I've flogged my 18s !

On my Ford S-Max I got rid of the snowflake 18s in favour of some boring looking 16s and saved 5kg per wheel, which must be worth something like 40kg total when you take rotational momentum into account. Even on a lardy beast like the S-Max it's noticeable.

james_tiger_woo
30-05-2009, 02:09 PM
I must confess that I like the 18s because of how they look - vain, I know, but that's the truth...

UltraViolet
30-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Sshhhhh ! Don't give away all these secrets about the performance benefits of smaller wheels until I've flogged my 18s !

On my Ford S-Max I got rid of the snowflake 18s in favour of some boring looking 16s and saved 5kg per wheel, which must be worth something like 40kg total when you take rotational momentum into account. Even on a lardy beast like the S-Max it's noticeable.

And add the extra weight of the tyres .... rubber is heavy!

I swapped for the smaller wheels and the car felt like it had lost 100kgs - it hadn't, just the weight that was lost was in the most critical area and also of course the benefits to the suspension and steering just made the car feel so much more nimble.

The change was far from subtle.

Changed a few other things too including gear ratios and shorter final drive, and then a little head work ....... now I want to take it for a drive as I've not taken it out for a few weeks and remembering how much fun it is...... shame I've had a couple of beers. And tomorrow I'm off to test drive the Leon so need to take the Passat as that will be the car I'm selling.

kn0bby
15-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Hello

I am just about to get my brand new GTD delivered, I want a set of Vancouvers, mine has the standard 17's on it, would you be interested in a trade?

Thanks

Dave

kn0bby
15-07-2011, 11:15 PM
ha ha.. just seen the date.. oops

Keithuk
16-07-2011, 01:15 AM
I am just about to get my brand new GTD delivered, I want a set of Vancouvers, mine has the standard 17's on it, would you be interested in a trade?

I thought I wouldn't like the Seattle Shadows on mine but they aren't that bad after a while. I asked if I could have the GTI Monza wheels but they said no you can only have what is specifed for they model.

kn0bby
16-07-2011, 05:10 AM
I thought I wouldn't like the Seattle Shadows on mine but they aren't that bad after a while. I asked if I could have the GTI Monza wheels but they said no you can only have what is specifed for they model.

Do you have a GTD? My initial thoughts on the standard 17's is they just look like a cheap after Market wheel from some angles. I just want a candy White with the older style vancouver alloys, gonna push for them to find some else it's going to cost a bomb after from parts.

Keithuk
16-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Do you have a GTD?
Read my sig and under my name?

Its the Shadow version of the wheels that makes them better they are painted black and not grey. If your having a new GTD then you only have the option of Seattle Shadows or Charleston Shadows for another £425.