PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Replacing/Removing Golf Mk5 Handbrake Lever Cover & DSG Gear Lever/Surround ?

shaft-50
14-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Hello again folks,

Well I have managed to get my hands on the Golf Edition 30 DSG gear lever/gaitor and handbrake cover which have the red stitching on them (missed out on the matching steering wheel).

I will be swapping them with my black standard leather ones in my Golf MK5 GTI DSG.

I want to know, how easy is it to remove the handbrake lever leather cover and also the DSG lever/surround ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Ben
14-05-2009, 05:25 PM
you need to get one of these (http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=42357&langId=-1) ;)

shaft-50
15-05-2009, 02:09 AM
Thanks, will invest in one :D

shaft-50
15-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Well I managed to suss out the handbrake lever cover by sheer accident/luck. Its a simple case of pulling the leather part and part plastic trim section (the entire length of the brake lever) towards the gear lever and hey presto, it just slides off as a complete unit !! :D

Think the gear lever/surriund is a case of just unclip, lift up and unclip the connections underneath. Will let you know once my Ed30 replacements land and I swap them over.

Common sense prevails (who needs haynes) lol :approve:

shaft-50
16-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Well to answer the question I set out at the begining..

The DSG gear lever/surround comes out as follows.

First you get hold of the leather gaitor and pull it upwards at a slant which then uclips it from the base (ashtray surround area). Then you lift the gaitor upwards pulling it over the gear knob (gaitor is now inside out). Unclip the connector cable and then there is a black plastic base at the bottom of the gear rod, this is pushed upwards (gently) and once free all you do and is it as simple as this, you pull the lever upwards, holding a solid part. This will then pull the complete unit off the metal gear rod freeing it from the car.

Replacing as opposite but you need to unclip the 'DSG' trim on the gear knob and when refitting using a small screw driver pushing the metal rod within the gear knob head away allowing the metal rod to come in and then hey presto its done.

I will add it to the how to with pics shortly.

Thanks again.