PDA

View Full Version : Is this my numberplate or not?

crichten
13-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Hey Guys,

This is a nice generic question so I figure it fits here well.
I have just brought an Audi A4.... and on the car and V5 that was signed by both of us was a private number plate.
The relevant docs has been signed over to me with the private plate on it.

Does this mean that the numberplate is mine?

Thanks

Chris

NickPicks
14-05-2009, 08:53 AM
If the previous owner has signed it over to you, then it's with the car.

I guess that there's been some misunderstanding and the seller doesn't think this is the case. Did the seller state in the advert or verbally that they'd be keeping the numberplate?

I think if they wanted to keep it, they should have put it on a retention certificate before signing it over to you.

The simplest thing to do is probably tp ask DVLA

Ben
14-05-2009, 06:34 PM
if you and he are understanding chaps, then they will be open about not mentioning it. did he or did he not clearly mention to you before the deal was done and v5's swapped, that he wanted to keep it.

Posession is 9/10's of the law.

you have several options open to you.

1. tell him - Tough.
2. offer to get it put on retention for him - you will need his address for this - and then advise him of the costs to you for reimbursement.
3. sell it back to him.
4. get it valued 1st.

hongkongstuey
14-05-2009, 06:46 PM
first of all, get it valued, then go from there, if its his initials its worth bugger all to you, if he wants it back, look at your options, you could get a cheap private plate from 140 quid and he'll pay transfer if you get it on retention quick enough, you say you have a reg and he will prob do it to get plate back, saving you about 80 quid, if its related to the car, make him pay!! thats what i'd do.

RickT
14-05-2009, 07:55 PM
As said above, if the car is sold with the plate on it and the V5 states that plate.. the plate is yours.

He should of put it on retention, got a new V5 before selling the car if he wanted it...

In your post you have not mentioned if the seller whats it back?? Does he?

if not.... you got your self a freebie... if its worth any cash, if i was you and not bothered for it, i would sell it and the orignal prefix plate will get re-asigned to the car.

Rick

crichten
15-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Well thats the thing,
He has given it to me on the V5, but I brought the car for £4500...
Got the plate valued and its worth £2000 alone... kinda just seems too good to be true?

onzarob
15-05-2009, 11:50 AM
the rule are that you have to own the car to have use of the plate, unless you put it on retention, I you have all the documents and the number plate is the same then the car and plates are yours.

It takes 2 minutes at the DVLA office to take the private plate off, and should of been done before selling the car.

I would also beware of the valuations, selling a £2000 plate can take years.

I have a plate worth a £1000 and had it for 4 year with no interest ;)

Ben
15-05-2009, 02:36 PM
£2000. one has to ask, what is the Reg?

sooty
26-05-2009, 05:32 AM
Everytime I have changed my car DVLA advised me to remove the reg from my car so that the V5 of my old car shows the original reg.

If the car was sold to you with the private plate on the V5 then is it yours. Once the cherished plate is assigned to a car it stays on the V5 unless it is retained or transfered.

Legally speaking it is yours however its if you can morally keep hold of it (or sell it on eBay! lol)

Paul Wood
26-05-2009, 10:49 AM
It's all very well believing the plate is worth £2k, but unless somebody wants to buy it off you, its actually worth b*gger all.

If it suits, leave it on the car, or else sell it back to the previous owner for £1-1.5k - you still get the best deal!:Blush:

sooty
26-05-2009, 04:53 PM
sell it back to the previous owner for £1-1.5k - you still get the best deal!:Blush:

:argue: lol