PDA

View Full Version : FSI engines - Chain or Belt ?

doobs
13-05-2009, 08:12 PM
I am a newbie to this forum and are looking to get either a 2004 or 2005 1.4FSI or 1.6FSI

I have looked at two 2004 models - one 1.4FSI & one 1.6FSI - when I checked with local dealers they said both had chains (although I found that initially they seemed to automatically say/assume they were belt driven but when they bothered to check exact engine/vehicle reg plate found they were chain driven) - however it seems there is a mixed bag of answers - perhaps some later model years were belt driven? - Does anyone have a definitive list of which engines (and model year) where belt and which were chain drive?

I am also horrified by the number of emission warning light issues , Nox sensor, temp sensor, egrv etc etc - Is it safe to buy one of this age? (or have the poor souls who owned them from new sorted these issues by now so that us later owners can benefit??

Crasher
13-05-2009, 08:40 PM
They are chain drive.

knt
13-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Might be a stupid question, but does the chain need changing at specific intervals like the belt (as it is suppose to be maintenance free)?

As my friend had a Seat car and the chained broke @ ~70K, resulting in a costly repair to the engine.

Crasher
13-05-2009, 11:08 PM
The latest cars with chains are becoming an issue, certainly I think they should all be done at 100K at the most, some struggle to make 35K though.

doobs
24-05-2009, 12:00 AM
They are chain drive.

Is that all 1.4 & 1.6 FSI model years/engines or just 2004 models as elsewhere on this site appears others still think some (?later) models are not chain driven. I might just get a 2005 model and hope that would be chain driven as well

P.s how come so many golfs have a reg prefix of A* (East Anglia-my neck of the woods) and yet there are so few used ones locally about!

Crasher
24-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Some are belt such as BAD code A2 and Golf 4 and some are chain.

doobs
24-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Some are belt such as BAD code A2 and Golf 4 and some are chain.

Thanks - as I a newbie I don't understand BAD Code A2 ?
Golf 4? Do you mean Mk4 ? - I don't understand that either - sorry!

Crasher
24-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Yes I mean Golf Mk4 when I say Golf 4, it is only us that tend to call it a Mk 4, the Americans say A4 for Golf 4 which would really confuse you and in Germany they say Golf 4.

Golf 1 = A1 = Mk1
Golf 2 = A2 = Mk2
Golf 3 = A3 = Mk3
Golf 4 = A4 = Mk4
Golf 5 = A5 = Mk5
Golf 6 = A6 = Mk6

All engines have code designation to identify them, a typical engine type code that is and FSI with belt drive cams is BAD, one that is chain drive and from a Golf 5 is BAG but not all engines codes are words, usually they are meaningless like BLP which is another chain drive FSI.