PDA

View Full Version : MK4 Problems.. Plz help!

mkpp786
30-03-2007, 12:33 AM
Hey everyone how u doing I have a few problems with my golf, and im sure someone like eshrules or the other knowledgeable people on this forum could help (you know who u r!)

Ok here goes:

1. Rear wash/wiper... travelling back on motorway, try to use it about 50 times...nothing! got home.. realised all water was leaked into my boot door :zx11: not happy at all.. what can it be? how can i fix this myself rather than going to a garage and getting ripped off?!??!

2. When i sometimes flash my beams (like when u do to give someone way) all my dash lights come on and it makes a "buzzzzzz" sound... what on earth is this?!?

3. i dont know if im the only one.. but how on earth do u change a mk4 head light bulb? unless u have very flexible and long fingers...i dont see how this can be done? do i need to take the lot out? Need this done asap, as 2 of the smaller lights have gone.

please please please help me.. reason being, im thinking to sell up very soon, so i need these jobs done asap.

I appreciate u guys helping out!

THANK YOU!!

rickgti
30-03-2007, 12:10 PM
i've not had my mk4 that long and must admit i looked at changing the bulb and thought bloody ell....lol

sorry don't know about the other probs

mkpp786
30-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Tell me bout it... bloody difficuly.. took me an hour to fit a bulb few months ago, then i gave up.

There must be an easier way....

Col
30-03-2007, 01:42 PM
The buzz; probably a bad earth connection, look at the base of the A pillar and around the buzzbar.

Headlight bulb; painful but true - it is accepted practice that unless you have hands the size of a six year old or are double jointed that the bumper needs to come off and headlight out! I always took the bumper off mine, after the first couple of times, it takes about 20mins to take it off, replace bulb and put it all back and is much easier.

[edit]

Rear washer; common fault, split hose usually. Fix it now though as the water will corrode the electronics in the lock and will cause alarm and locking problems.

s0niX
30-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Yes know a freind who owns a Polo 03 plate!! ya 03!!! and that leaked. how annoying.. it kept triggering his alarm off.

Eshrules
30-03-2007, 03:00 PM
ok.... in regards to the rear washer/alarm fault... do a search on 'rear wash fault' youll find endless info.. when i find the walkthrough i posted up from a site, ill post it here for you... basically, the pipe becomes detached from the pump and the water leaks, causing the boot sensor to malfunction, which casues the alarm to think the boot is open, when it is in fact, closed or vice versa.

in regards to the bulbs, you may find it easier if you take your battery out.... it gives you more room on the driver's side, passenger side is a lot easier, although still a b**l ache :( :beerchug:

s0niX
30-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Does anyone know if the rear wash spray is under warranty with VW if anything goes wrong?

Eshrules
30-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Does anyone know if the rear wash spray is under warranty with VW if anything goes wrong?

being a relatively minor fault, i doubt so... its not had to have a recall and is one of those things i suspect....

is a fairly easy fix if sorted quickly :beerchug:

mkpp786
30-03-2007, 05:50 PM
thnx for the advice esh n bigcol,

any advice on how much the wash wiper thing would cost? + any manuals on how to take the bumper etc off... and how easy i sit.. even for some1 whos never carried out work before?