PDA

View Full Version : New Condenser not covered under warranty

robhinesjetta
13-05-2009, 12:49 PM
I have a 58 plate Jetta 1.9 TD! se purchased it new for VW, it's now done about 18k miles, Quite a few I know!!!! I was driving home from work and I heard a hissing noise, I turned down the radio and turned off the air con but could still hear the noise. As I wasn't going slow over the QE2 brifdge I put it down to the lorry alongside me.

To cut a long story short I noticed the air con wasn't working. I booked it in with the dealership expecting a warranty repair but I was surprised when I got a call from VW informing me that a stone had gone through the vent in the bumper and pierced the condenser. They said it was a fluke for it to happen but as it was damaged by impact it was not a covered under warranty.

I did argue with them that this could indeed happen again, so sure it's a fault with the design of the car, but they said that it hadn't happened often enough. Although they had the condenser in stock. They did say I could get some chicken wire put behind the grill to prevent it?..........

Has this happened to anyone else as 570 every time this happens is going to be fairly expensive and a good case could stop this happening to others.:zx11:

colinoz
23-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Bad luck. Have you thought of claiming it on your car insurance, if applicable? Afterall it is collision damage.

I found VW very good with warranty repairs. My mk5 Golf was 6 months out of warranty when the aircon compressor died. They replaced it without charge but my mileage was quite low.

towcestervag
23-07-2009, 11:39 PM
firstly the reason it got damaged by stone is because the size of the front grilles are big enough to let a jumbo jet through them
just done a touran for the same fault 320 fitted and made up small mesh grille to go behind bumper to stop stones