PDA

View Full Version : noob looking for inspiration

leeroywarner
13-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi all

new to the forum so please be gentle!

Am picking up a 2005 a6 at the weekend

I'm looking for some cheap and easy upgrades (the sort of little touches that make a difference)

Also some longer term ones like sat nav upgrade etc etc that may need a little more money sunk into them? have colour mmi but no tv/dvd/nav

any suggestions welcome????

nobbyuk
13-05-2009, 09:12 PM
not too many upgrades for the C6 A6 that don't cost mega money.

You could replace the interior lights with coloured LEDs. Also, change the indicator bulbs to Silver vision or diadem bulbs to get rid of the orange corners. Diadems will reflect blue, but flash orange. Silvervision bulbs are coloured silver so you won't see anything when they're off.

That's a couple of cheap things you can do. I'm sure others will be along with more suggestions.

Cheers

leeroywarner
13-05-2009, 09:24 PM
nice one thanks, keep them coming please

A6quattro3.0
14-05-2009, 04:54 PM
not too many upgrades for the C6 A6 that don't cost mega money.

You could replace the interior lights with coloured LEDs. Also, change the indicator bulbs to Silver vision or diadem bulbs to get rid of the orange corners. Diadems will reflect blue, but flash orange. Silvervision bulbs are coloured silver so you won't see anything when they're off.

That's a couple of cheap things you can do. I'm sure others will be along with more suggestions.

Cheers

Hi, I saw on your signature that you have your belt chime off. I have had my 55 plate A6 3.0 tdi Q for a month now and that chime drives me round the bend when I just want to use the car for say 30 seconds. Any hints on how to disable it please??
Cheers, Andy

nobbyuk
14-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Hi, I saw on your signature that you have your belt chime off. I have had my 55 plate A6 3.0 tdi Q for a month now and that chime drives me round the bend when I just want to use the car for say 30 seconds. Any hints on how to disable it please??
Cheers, Andy

Yeah, tell me about it :)

You need VCDS(VAG COM) to do it.

Do you have the cable? Or know anyone with one?

A6quattro3.0
14-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Yeah, tell me about it :)

You need VCDS(VAG COM) to do it.

Do you have the cable? Or know anyone with one?
Nope, I don't have a cable or know anyone who's got one. The servicing garage should have VCDS I guess - maybe I'll ask them to do it??

nobbyuk
14-05-2009, 09:59 PM
possibly.

Although the 91 second chime is for Euro NCAP compliance, so they may be reluctant to switch it off.

If you find yourself west of London during the week, give me a shout. I work in Hemel. It's a ten second job.

paul b
14-05-2009, 11:46 PM
If the OP is any good with paintwork, you could add a rear boot lip spoiler (if it's a saloon!).

Oh would you look at that, I found one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A6-RS6-Boot-Trunk-Lip-Spoiler-S6-4F-C6-NEW_W0QQitemZ130304613489QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item130304613489&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A50). :D

If doing it, you'll need to get a paint and lacquer aerosol set from your dealer (less than £20) and a special undercoat for use when making paint stick to plastic, and it also hardens the surface so it isn't soft like plastic. A good paint shop will know exactly what you mean.

Its important to use the special undercoat, because without it, the spoiler could deform at speed due to being plastic... then you have wrinkly paint! :biglaugh:

I'll post a couple of pics of my C5 A6 with the spoiler tomorrow if I remember.

A6quattro3.0
15-05-2009, 08:59 AM
possibly.

Although the 91 second chime is for Euro NCAP compliance, so they may be reluctant to switch it off.

If you find yourself west of London during the week, give me a shout. I work in Hemel. It's a ten second job.

Well I did not know it was for NCAP, that explains it. Thanks very much for the offer, I may just take you up on that next week
Cheers, Andy :beerchug:

leeroywarner
15-05-2009, 10:43 AM
So far we have

Change interior bulbs
boot lip spoiler
turn off seat belt chime

had a few thoughts of my own

de badge

anyone played with led light strips in headlights or down by fog lights to get an r8/newer audi look? (does this end up looking tacky or cool?)

s6 gear knob

and longer term I think change rear clusters to newer led ones and a set of nice 18" rims to replace the 16" ones

Keep the ideas coming

nobbyuk
15-05-2009, 11:54 AM
As you mention a boot lip spoiler that suggests you have a saloon?

The '09 LED rear cluster will not fit without a new boot lid and possibly a new rear bumper. The shape of the cluster is different to ours.
You can however, fit the highline version of our cluster. That one has LED brake lights, but normal taillights. It was standard fit if you had the optional Xenon headlights fitted. It'll be plug and play along with code change via VCDS or a dealer.

The '09 Xenon headlghts with the LED strip in them DO fit. If you're considering a Xenon conversion at any point, this might be the best option as it will give you Xenons and LED DRLs. Not quite plug and play though. The Xenons will work with a code change. But you'll need to connect the Bi-xenon switch to the comfort module. That will give you high beams. Plus you need to connect the LEDs to something to give you Daylight Running Lghts. Haven't worked out where yet, probably the same comfort module as for the high beams.

If you just want LED lights, then the S6 bumper mounted ones are best. Pretty much anything else looks "chavy", in my opinion. The Audi is not the right car for such things. They can be made to fit a standard A6 bumper, but the foglights need to be removed. Or better yet, fit an S6 bumper.

Other things to consider:
Tints
auto dimming rear view mirror
auto dimming wing mirrors
audi parking system plus (if you already have front/rear parking sensors) or
rear camera (requires tv install, which in turns requires a new MMI module if TV not factory fit)
MMI software upgrade (CDs from the dealer around a fiver)

These are not strictly mods, more retro fit standard A6 options, apart from the tints, obviously

Cheers
Dave

Niall76
18-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Just don't fit any of those horrible chrome add on trims to the grill or anywhere else.

They are tacky as hell and look crapper then a crappy crap...

Tanuki
04-09-2009, 11:52 AM
I've seen later model A6's with the factory fitted LED day running light option. I've got an 05 model A6, so I suspect I could replace the current headlight units with new ones incorporating the LEDS, but not sure if the harness connections would support it