PDA

View Full Version : Its the Mk6, not the Mk5.5

djradium
13-05-2009, 11:30 AM
So this is my first VW car and ever since ive started reading these and other VW forums people keep saying mk5.5.

Now when you line pictures of all the golfs next to each other they ALL do not look that remarkably different through the ages. Infact the mk1 looks like the mk2, the mk3 looks like the mk4 and the mk5 looks like the mk6 somewhat. I praise VW for their subtle evolution of their brands.

After all this is not a renault megane ;)

Hex69
13-05-2009, 11:45 AM
So this is my first VW car and ever since ive started reading these and other VW forums people keep saying mk5.5.

Now when you line pictures of all the golfs next to each other they ALL do not look that remarkably different through the ages. Infact the mk1 looks like the mk2, the mk3 looks like the mk4 and the mk5 looks like the mk6 somewhat. I praise VW for their subtle evolution of their brands.

After all this is not a renault megane ;)

The reason people are calling it the 5.5 is that it's using just an updated Mk5 platform, instead of of a completely new platform as from Mk4 to Mk5.

HTH. :D

maisbitt
13-05-2009, 12:08 PM
The MK6 Golf is not very different from the MK5, slight improvements in the overall finish, especially the interior trim and front nose, and mechanically, VW have cut production costs with a simplified multilink rear suspension. In corporate terms this would have cost very little to implement than say going from the MK4 to MK5.

My favourite old golf has to be the MK2 - I still love seeing rust-free examples of this car. The MK3 was junk - there are more MK2s on the road in the UK than the MK3 because the MK3 was such a rust-prone car.

maisbitt
13-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Djradium: Nothing to worry about - MK5 is a great car, and the MK6 will be as good. Slightly more kit for the same money, but otherwise intrinsically the same car.

My only criticism is that the MK5 GT/GT Sport and GTIs stood out against the rest as looking sporty, you could tell a GT Sport or a GT a mile off compared to the S and SE standard cars of the MK5.

All MK6's look similar at a casual glance apart from the forthcoming GTI/GTD.
The differences between the MK6 GT and standard trims are too subtle.

djradium
13-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Djradium: Nothing to worry about - MK5 is a great car, and the MK6 will be as good. Slightly more kit for the same money, but otherwise intrinsically the same car.

My only criticism is that the MK5 GT/GT Sport and GTIs stood out against the rest as looking sporty, you could tell a GT Sport or a GT a mile off compared to the S and SE standard cars of the MK5.

All MK6's look similar at a casual glance apart from the forthcoming GTI/GTD.
The differences between the MK6 GT and standard trims are too subtle.

Thats because the GT is not really a GT, its just a model for the UK. Infact it says "highline" on the code specs of the car in the manual ;)

In a side note, i saw the new GTI yesterday at the dealers and that didn't look that much different from the GT either (from the rear/side)

maisbitt
13-05-2009, 01:24 PM
You'll probably also find "highline" on the build sticker that's probably under the boot's carpet with lots of little codes.

This is the German model for the well equipped models below the high end sporty models like the GTI.

The best thing about owning a German car at the moment is that we get them cheaper than the Germans since the pound weakened.

I was most disappointed 3 years ago when I went to VAG's Berlin multi marque dealership that's about the size of a very large department store to see a Golf GTI at 21000 Euros, when it was £20500 here in the UK (Euro was 1.40 to the pound). I really felt the UK was getting ripped off at that point. Then I walked into the Bugatti department and looked at a Veyron up close, no more bitterness about the VW prices.

The Germans still get their dealer accessories for next to nothing though.

WeegieBob
13-05-2009, 08:05 PM
You'll probably also find "highline" on the build sticker that's probably under the boot's carpet with lots of little codes.

You're quite right maisbitt - in my service book there's a sticker placed onto the front page with all the details of the model / build spec of my GT 140 TDI and on the top it has ........... GOLF 2.0 HIGHL 103 KW.

WeegieBob. ;)