PDA

View Full Version : 12V Socket Fuse Blown...Again!

Sheroo
12-05-2009, 04:48 PM
I tend the charge the Blackberry whilst on the move but this is the second time the socket inside the glovebox has stopped working. I am assuming it's the fuse but rather than take it in to the dealers, how easy is it to access the fuse and replace?

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Sheroo
13-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Anyone...?

Sheroo
31-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Greetings, does anyone know where the fuse for the 12V socket is, it's not in the glovebox, it's the one in the armrest.

Got the car serviced today but forgot to mention the blown fuse so back to square one. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Geordie Amanda
01-04-2010, 03:09 AM
I am currently reading the owners guide and I noticed it says the 12v supply is rated at 100W for the cig lighter and 150W for centre arm rest box and rear 12V point. That’s an awful lot of amps for a mobile phone I would have thought. I am not an electronics engineer, but I work with a lot of technical equipment and I am surprised you blew a fuse. Perhaps you have a secondary fault such a broken charger. I had one that a bit of metal fell of the plug and shorted the power point out, blowing a fuse every time the ignition was turned on. I realise this doesn’t help you with your immediate quest, but it might be food for thought.

Good luck.

Sheroo
08-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks for responding, it turns out a coin got stuck between said socket and charger hence blew the fuse. I located the blown fuse in the boot on the left, I've got to read the manual more often :blindfold

amz
07-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Hi Sheroo - where was the fuse for this? My lighter socket has blown, as a screw fell into it and it sparked up badly, and now doesn't work at all.

Is it simply a case of changing the fuse? I own a VW Golf Mk 4.

Zenerdiode
07-01-2011, 11:55 PM
...where was the fuse for this?

Is it simply a case of changing the fuse? I own a VW Golf Mk 4.

The fuse location will obviously be different from an A4 B8 to a Golf IV 1J...
I think it is Fuse 41 - 15A. It may be as simple as changing the fuse. Won't harm to check if it is blown.

Zenerdiode
08-01-2011, 02:12 AM
I must just add that in my old A4, I mistakingly dropped some silver foil from some fruit pastilles down into the cigar lighter socket. Trying to fish it out, it kept sparking and getting hot.

With a shaky hand I got some metal tweezers to finally get it. Reminded me of that 'MB Games' board game... :approve:

amz
08-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Thanks for your quick response Zenerdiode. I can relate to your second post, as I dropped a screw in the lighter socket and it kept sparking up. I switched the engine off hoping the power would die out, but it kept sparking every time I attemped to pull it out. I pulled up and managed to take it out with paper rolled up - was difficult!

Now it doesn't work at all. I've checked the 15A fuse last night, which seemed fine. I still changed it, but no luck. Going to have another look at it later, but any idea on what else it could be?

varaderoxlv1000
26-01-2014, 10:51 AM
So as to help others my experience, I have a late 2009 VW Passat RHD 2.0l TDI 170PS on which I thought I'd blown the fuse for the 12V socket in the boot of car. Locating the correct fuse was difficult as the diagram in the owners handbook doesn't list the 12V socket. After searching tinternet, I established that fuse for the socket is located at the right hand of the dashboard behind the panel which easily pops out and not as some suggest one of 2 fuses located in the footwell behind the footbrake. The Haynes manual has the correct fuse socket identified but has the view of the box the wrong way round. Anyway it is SC42 and is a 15A fuse. Anyway, after all that, it wasn't this fuse that had blown, but one in a fused cigarette ligher adapter that I had in the 12V socket in the boot. The fuse in this was rated at 6 amps and I found that the equipment I was using draws 11.5 amps maximum, so a no brainer there then! I hope this info helps someone . :o