PDA

View Full Version : loss of power

sacko17
29-03-2007, 09:25 PM
if i drive my sharon hard a sort of govenor kicks in at about 2500 revs and it wont go above this no matter how much pedal i give it.but if i drive it steady it does not hapen and it will climb up to 4000 and above. any ideas what the prblem is.also where can i get a maintenance manual.
would much appreciate any help

Dizzydave
31-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Hi, Haynes dont do one for the Sharan, but they do publish one for the Ford Galaxy, which is the same in most respects.
Hope this helps
Dave

julian2002
02-04-2007, 08:06 AM
sounds like 'limp mode' this is when the ecu decides that something is wrong and reduces boost pressure to 'save' the engine. the conditions you describe sound like you are getting an 'overboost' - get the engine codes read by someone with vag com or a ******** to confirm or it may just be a faulty MAF. if you have a 110 bhp or more engine then you have a vnt turbo (variable geometry), worst case scenario is a new turbo as these types can get sooted up and sieze meaning that they under / over deliver boost causing 'limp mode'. they can be cleaned but only if you are a competent spanner monkey.
best thing is to take it to a trusted mechanic to find out what the problem is.

sacko17
02-04-2007, 06:57 PM
thank you both for your help will try out both suggestions

sharan2002
09-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Hi Sacko17

I had the same symptoms. It's what julian2002 said, most probably. The turbo soots, and will lock up, giving too much or too little boost - causing the ECU to run it's emergency mode - giving output that feels like 20 bhp. The turbo needs to come off and be cleaned.

To confirm this, check the logs with a vag-com.

I had this exact fault, and from what I've read it's quite common.

sacko17
17-04-2007, 09:08 PM
just like to thank everybody who came to my aid.it was my maf meter had a new one fitted every thing ok up to yet

mia
13-11-2007, 01:54 PM
if i drive my sharon hard a sort of govenor kicks in at about 2500 revs and it wont go above this no matter how much pedal i give it.but if i drive it steady it does not hapen and it will climb up to 4000 and above. any ideas what the prblem is.also where can i get a maintenance manual.
would much appreciate any help

I had a similar problem with a petrol polo 1.4 - I had the distributor fixed and it seems to have resolved the problem. Good luck