PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec

Pimped-Passat
29-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Sorry for using the "F" word on a VAG forum, but just wondered what peoples views were on the Ford Focus.

I have the opportunity to buy one that is in very good nick and is from a good home with all the usual signs of being a good buy.

It will be a second car for the wife to taxi the kids...(basically to save my Passat from being destroyed!)

Anyone got one, had one, advice, tips, tricks, what to look out for...etc

Cheers
P-P

PS - And yes I know... I would be better off with the Golf. I've had 2 and know all about them, but there is a lack of decent examples for sale "up my way", and the ones I have looked at (advertised as excellent condition) were utter garbage...!

MalcQV
29-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Not sure what year you are after. I have driven both Focus's (old shape and new) models and though they both drive well, I much prefer the the interior finish on the later models.

Day to day I am sure they are great cars. I only ever had them as hire cars but enjoyed driving them.

I have never had any major issues with Ford's and you would not believe the amount of years my pa ran a mkIII tina.

guyg
30-03-2007, 12:47 AM
I've only driven them as hire cars, in my opinion, the old ones handle better but the new ones are quieter. The pertol ones really drink fuel though; the last one I hired was a 1.8 and I got around 28mpg [and that was a 700 mile trip].

Just a thought; how about an Octavia, Toledo, Leon, Fabia etc.?

Cheers,

Guy

RickT
30-03-2007, 01:35 AM
The 2001 1.8 have come down in price...

In my opinion "I" would not get one... BUT... thats only my opinion....

HOWEVER - the 2001 model where a good car, simple inside.. a few good models out there with air con, CD dash player, electric front windows.. (some with rears) - 16inch Alloy wheels, front fogs,

- In the respect of a good/safe runabout for the family its not a bad car.. The parts are cheap now if any are required, servicing costs reflected in this, solid'ish built, your not going to get the best return on fuel, 26-30mpg max around town.

Keep away from the BURGUNDY, GREEN or YELLOW/GOLD colours for sell on purposes... look at for a Ghina model.

The 1.8 TDI is a bit tracotr sounding but returns a decent MPG..

in regards to the one you have been offered, What is the milage and how much is it for sale for..

I would say at a guess... you would be looking at just under £3K for a 2001 zetec with about 50k on the clock... You can pick them up from around £1500 with high miles on a 99 plate...

HOWEVER.. if you are looking at 3k to spend... you can pick a 1999 Golf 1.6 up for that moneny...

Cheers

RicKT

VWSmudge
30-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Sorry for using the "F" word on a VAG forum, but just wondered what peoples views were on the Ford Focus.

I have the opportunity to buy one that is in very good nick and is from a good home with all the usual signs of being a good buy.

It will be a second car for the wife to taxi the kids...(basically to save my Passat from being destroyed!)

Anyone got one, had one, advice, tips, tricks, what to look out for...etc

Cheers
P-P

PS - And yes I know... I would be better off with the Golf. I've had 2 and know all about them, but there is a lack of decent examples for sale "up my way", and the ones I have looked at (advertised as excellent condition) were utter garbage...!

I've only driven a Focus as a hire car (so, for no more than a week in one go) although I've got say it was a decent motor - very responsive, good handling. It was the 1.8 Zetec too.

My mate's got one as a company car (his is 2.0 litre though) and he's thrashed it about for a couple of years now and not one thing has gone wrong. He has it serviced bang on time, every 12 months/10k though.

I'm a VW convert, but taking into account what you say the car will be used for, I think you could do a lot worse than a Focus.

I know that's not a particularly technical response to your question, but I hope it helps a bit!

:beerchug:

ghee60
31-03-2007, 12:41 PM
the 1.8 zetec is not a bad engine, and the focus doesnt suffer from any real problems, they are prone to the coilpack going wrong, but its only around £50 from ford as its a ford part not a bosch etc

Niall76
31-03-2007, 07:43 PM
A mate had one for a while, it wasn't a bad car. Only thing I noticed was that once over about 40ish wind noise is very noticeable. To talk to each other it was like we were almost shouting at each other.

Niall76
31-03-2007, 07:44 PM
"ALRIGHT KENNY, GOOD DAY AT WORK?"

"AYE - NO BAD. WORK SUCKS, SAT ON SKY SPORTS ALL DAY. HOW'S YOU?"

etc....