PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a light board on A4 Avant with no towbar

andyw82
11-05-2009, 05:02 PM
I've just invested in a Thule bike rack for fitting on the rear door of my late 05 A4 Avant. The supplier assured me the lightboard would be easy to fit but having spoken to my local Audi dealer they tell me I need a towbar in order to be able to connect the 7 pin plug that comes with the lightboard.

The bike rack supplier has offered to take it back if I can't make it work but I'd like to make it work, and was just wondering if anyone has any experience of adding an external lightboard to a similar car, with no towbar installed.

Thanks

martin1810
12-05-2009, 05:23 PM
You don't have to have a towbar but you do have to have a 12N socket which normally mounts on the towbar. Without the towbar, where do you put the socket ? You would also have to wire up the socket via a bypass relay which is not a DIY job unless you feel confident with car electrics.

andyw82
14-05-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks - sounds doable then but not trivial...and I guess I need to find someone other than the Audi garage to do it.

Not normally taken in by things but really got the impression from the bike rack vendor that this wouldn't be so hard. I might be reconsidering my purchase!