PDA

View Full Version : Servicing and warranty

alanstead
10-05-2009, 05:42 PM
In this day and age its natural for people to shop around, I think, however my local VW dealer obviously doesnt and I feel is trying to hold me to ransom. When I spoke to them regarding selling me a brand new factory order Scirocco GT I was told if I went else where they would not be prepared to carry out any warranty or servicing work. I live way up in the North of Scotland and my local dealer is 85 miles away and the next closest is 250 miles away. I am absolutley shocked by this attitude and have owned numerous Audi's and never had this problem with the the local Audi dealership which is owned by the same person. I am now seriously considering forgetting about VW. Has anyone else had an experience like this??

Alan

maisbitt
11-05-2009, 08:28 AM
They are having a laugh! The warranty work and servicing is independant of the car sale. They're trying to strongarm you into buying your car there.

Regardless of where you buy your car, they'll be grateful of the warranty work which VW pay the dealership for, or when you pay for a service yourself.

If they're really isolated, and the only dealership for miles around, then maybe they could get more service work and warranty work than they need. If that was the case then they'd do service work over warranty work. You pay upwards of £70 an hour for work you're paying for (service, crash repairs etc), and they're contracted to do VW warranty work for less than £40 an hour (when VW are picking up the tab).

If you get your car elsewhere (as you should if they're not the best deal you can get) and they won't honour their obligation to do warranty work on it, i'd be straight onto VW UK's customer service centre.

Sounds like you spoke to a right rarfy there! Let me guess, they're trying to sell you Scirocco at no discount, and are holding the warranty/service work over you as a reason to buy from them (at full RRP)?

This garage, if they kept their word, would not touch a VW from someone that had just moved to the area and committed the heinous crime of buying their VW car sometime before they'd moved up? It's a pity about the distance needed to cover for an alternative VW dealership, if there was another one handy, i'd give them no business at all.

Get your Scirocco elsewhere and when a service (or warranty work) are due i'm sure they'll be glad of the money you'll be bringing in. Any VW dealer can perform warranty or service work on any domestic VW (might not have the facilities to deal with some obscure variants from another geographical area).