PDA

View Full Version : Please Help A3 8L 1.8T 1998 Have my local garage damaged my car?

t85c
10-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Having phoned around VAG approved garaged and being quoted more than expected for a cambelt and water pump I decided my local garage were more than qualified to carry out this labour intensive yet basic job.

Only had car 3 weeks before this however since going in the computer warning screen comes up showing either coolant too low or overheat! (neither of which is the case) - No VAG-com code comes up for this but I am sure they have caused this having obviously changed coolant. I will definately be having them fix this.

However, the second and more concerning problem is my ABS light comes on and off intermittently. There is a crunching noise coming from the engine which appears to be linked to the abs failing AND/OR cutting back in i.e. the light going off. VAG-COM suggests problem with front right speed sensor however also suggests something else wrong. I do not understand why it would be making this noise and more to the point could the garage have caused this as they would have had the wheels off. It is a horrible noise and sounds expensive. Whilst this is an irratic fault given I had the car 3 weeks covering over 400 miles without problem either they have caused it or its an unlucky coincidence.

Please advise on problems and their likely cause.

As I am new to this forum having only recently come over from BMW's I would be greatful if anyone let me know if this is the correct place to post this or if there is somewhere else where it will get more attention.

Thanks

Crasher
10-05-2009, 02:07 PM
The noise may be the ABS triggering; does the pedal vibrate and kick back at you at the same time? These sensors do go low sensitivity and are magnetic, removing a wheel can cause particles to fall onto the sensor and make it play up.

t85c
10-05-2009, 02:32 PM
The noise may be the ABS triggering; does the pedal vibrate and kick back at you at the same time? These sensors do go low sensitivity and are magnetic, removing a wheel can cause particles to fall onto the sensor and make it play up.

I wish lol! Experienced a similar problem minus the noise with VW Sharon 1997 which was an abs sensor. When light is on ABS does not work and when light off it does. The noise sounds more like crunching gears and nothing like abs kicking in!!! Thanks for the quick response!

SEMKY
10-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Mine did exactly the same and made the exact same noise to which you are referring....I too thought it must be something terminal...and expensive!! :eek: It was indeed the front offside wheel speed sensor failing causing the ABS to cut in, as Crasher says. I replaced it for 35 quid and never had the problem since!

Didn't realise that after having replaced it, the abs light stayed on till I went over 20? mph, and then reset.

t85c
10-05-2009, 06:18 PM
sounds promising! I assume for £35 you fixed it yourself? Is it an easy job? I mean it does not sound to hard but as I have never tried it I don't have a clue!

SEMKY
10-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Its not a difficult job...wheel off, connector off, one hex bolt and a bit of fiddling to get the old one out of the slot....took me about 1 hour I think but the old one really didn't want to move!! :beerchug:

Just don't be disheartened when you turn on the ignition after doing the job and the light stays on....go for a drive and it should reset above a certain speed...assuming it was the wheel speed sensor in the first place!

t85c
14-05-2009, 06:03 PM
the garage that I am taking it back to, to sort out coolant said £20 ish plus VAT for part plus half an hours labor - ill take that should be £60 all in XD

SEMKY
16-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Fingers crossed it will sort your ABS issue out anyway....did you establish what the coolant problem was?

t85c
26-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Well coolant was just level. It is now well over the Maximum in the reservoir but did the trick.

Took it back they said prob just needed to clean the sensor and that a replacement would be approx £50 just for the part. They cleaned it, test drove it, said it worked and charged me £23 inc VAT. They did not fix it, they covered the inside of my door in mud and dropped my MPG (presumably ragging it on test drive). I posted on here got a price fro a supplier they use and told them to order the part. Needless to say I am not happy because it is still not fixed and I have wasted more time than doing it myself. Don't think will be using that garage much anymore.

SEMKY
27-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Doesnt sound too good mate. Where in the country are you? So they just cleaned the sensor? I know when mine failed initially it was an intermittent fault, that would come and go, but eventually stayed.
I ordered my sensors from eurocarparts, arrived the very next day, fitted in 1 hour, job done.

Hope you get it sorted mate!

t85c
27-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Devon. To add insult to injury they received the part yesterday and did not phone me. They were trying to book me in next Wed. Needless to say that was not going to happen but still had to settle for Monday. Will let you know if fixes things