PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Central locking fault on '02 TDI 130 Sport

adamsandr
10-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Hello all,

I'm looking for some help if anyone can please......

I've got a 2002 Passat 1.9 TDi Sport 130 BHP.

I have started having trouble opening the doors using the key fob, which seems inoperable. I thought it may be key fob battery, so replaced that. This had no effect. I am currently having to use the key to manually lock/unlock the car, but now when I open with key alarm goes off until I start engine.

I have had a professional auto locksmith out to see if the key fob needed reprogramming or re-sync. After looking at all possibilities he told me there was nothing wrong with the key.

I then took the car to my local VW dealer who said it needed a new barrel lock in the drivers door. They replaced this, but still no change. They asked me to bring the car back for 2 more hours of diagnostics. At £86 + vat per hour, this is something i cannot afford at the moment.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :1zhelp:

kenney
10-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Hi See if the interior light comes on and off, when you open and close each of the doors

paul b
10-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Does the central locking still work via key-in-door? Or is it the remote that has failed?

Do you have a spare remote key? If so, have you tried that?

adamsandr
10-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Kenny - Just tried all the doors and the interior light comes on fine when opening each door.

Paul B - The central locking works fine with the key in the door....apart from if i dont turn the ignition on quick enough after opening the car through this way, the alarm will activate.

Unfortunately when i bought the car it came with only 1 key

paul b
10-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Kenny - Just tried all the doors and the interior light comes on fine when opening each door.

Paul B - The central locking works fine with the key in the door....apart from if i dont turn the ignition on quick enough after opening the car through this way, the alarm will activate.

Unfortunately when i bought the car it came with only 1 key
So the key has either lost the code, or failed, or you have the plenum chamber fault. Lets try things you can do without spending money first. ;)

Are you aware of the plenum chamber fault? Underneath the battery cover is a drain hole which can clog up and cause your passenger footwell to flood. To check, you need to pull the carpets up. Then, remove the black box (CCU) and check for corrosion. I've been through this on my van, nightmare.

If you take the battery out you'll lose the radio code. So it would be handy to have a look for that first as I don't want to be held responsible for you losing it!

adamsandr
10-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Cheers Paul, I'll take a look at this now, but i have never had any dampness/leaks in the passenger or drivers foot wells

kenney
10-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Pull down the back of the rear seat,and get someone to open and close the tailgate,and check the light in the luggage compartment,see if it fungtions correctly

adamsandr
10-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Kenny, the light in the luggage compartment has never worked since i have had the car. Always one of those jobs i'll do tomorrow, but never happens!

martin1810
10-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Sorry to but in.... Adam.... Have a look at the bonnet switch. Connect a wire across it so in effect it isn't open even though it is. (If you see what I mean). Then try your central locking. If the bonnet switch fails you can lose central locking and keep setting off the alarm.

kenney
10-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Kenny, the light in the luggage compartment has never worked since i have had the car. Always one of those jobs i'll do tomorrow, but never happens!Then i would say that is a starter,you need to find out why it is not working,the micro switches on the tailgate can,be the reason,which in turn can disturb the alarm.Another question when you lock the car does the red control light on the drivers door flash?It might be a good idea to have a fault code read, it might throw some light on what is wrong.

adamsandr
10-05-2009, 06:50 PM
cheers for all the advice.

I'll have a good go at it tomorrow and see what turns up.