PDA

View Full Version : Drivers window wont open or close

mickymunn
09-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Hi all.

About a week ago my drivers window started making abit of a screeching, grinding kinda noise when opening and closing it. Also it seemed to jam abit aswell.

Had it in VW a few days ago and they told me it needed a new "window lifter" (part code 1K4837462A). Cost of part £75.00

Total cost fitted £240 !!!!

Seeing as i had to have a new window motor fitted in Nov i thought id be ok under warranty but they said its a different part so i have to pay.

I said i wasnt paying that ammount and they came back to me with a new price of £159.00

Anyway today i drove into a carpark and to get ticket i had to open the window, which went down although grinding and screeching but when i went to close the window the noise was there but it wouldnt close.

Ended up having to hold either side of te glass with my hands and push it up myself then noticed it had pulled a metal cable up from inside the door aswell ( looks like a brake cable on a pushbike)

Just wanted to know if anyone has had this problem, is it commom? and if it is an easy job to do myself if i just buy the part?

Its an 04 5door gttdi

Many thanks

VAGMAN54
10-05-2009, 06:10 PM
dont know what your ability is,but to change the regulator there is quite a bit of work involvedis there no independant garages near you than can do it for you but 159 isnt a badprice

cavalier740
11-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Your cable is twisted or broken. You can buy a kit with it and upgraded clips for around £50. I'd get genuine kit as I bought one off Ebay and the cable was an inch too short. It'll take you between 2-3 hours but its not that difficult if you get the correct part to begin with. You'll need T-30 Torx drive, 10mm socket, Phillips screwdriver and flat end screwdriver. Check this link for repair guide.
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/VW-Teesside/Window-Regulator-Repair-Guide.html_