PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk4 gt tdi intermitent motor fault

kicky1
09-05-2009, 07:34 PM
I have a 99 gt tdi 110bhp golf that has just recently began suffering an intermitent issue.
If i accelerate at 100% throttle on 2 seperate occeasions now the car shuts down at 4krpm and smoke billows from the exhaust just like it's overfueling.
the engine will then continue to idle/run very irraticaly with continuous smoke.
If the bonnet is lifted it is possible to view a significant ammount of air in the fuel system which then clears in about 60 seconds to leave the car running normaly with no smoke.

the car has covered 70k miles and is regularly maintained by myself Ex Vw Audi technician.
the car was serviced approx 1800miles ago but has been running normaly since then.

No Codes are logged by the ecu starting to think Turbo/wastgate sticking open as it dumps the boost but then fails to shut properly causing car to overfuel e.t.c .

planning to run off some live data in the next few days but it is not possible to force the fault it really is going to be a pain unless anyone else has experienced similar.

any ideas

regards

Dave

imortalmonkey
10-05-2009, 09:29 PM
If your suspecting turbo maybe put a gauge on so you can watch the turbo boost and drop boost,Could be a diesel pump issue? Maybe the fuel cut solenoid on the back of the pump?

kicky1
11-05-2009, 08:41 PM
If your suspecting turbo maybe put a gauge on so you can watch the turbo boost and drop boost,Could be a diesel pump issue? Maybe the fuel cut solenoid on the back of the pump?

hi thanks for the suggestion,I am planning to log fuel injection quantities,boost pressure and injection timing and one or two others to see if i can pin things down but it really is immpossible at present to make the fault occur.

so far it has only happenend in first gear when accelerating hard from a standstill but the rough running lasts for around 60 seconds with constant visible smoke even on idle with very irratic idle speed.

once again thanks for the suggestion.

anyone know what boost pressures are common on the stock 110 tdi motors??

regards

Dave