PDA

View Full Version : vacuum leak

gaz238
29-03-2007, 01:37 PM
i am getting 2 fault codes on vag com - 17887 brake booster vacuum intermittent signal and 17445 - running rich at idle. could both these faults be connected to a vaccum leak somewhere in the system ? I have examined all the hoses as best i can and all seem ok and i can`t hear any hissing. the brakes work ok but occasionaly when i brake hard to a stop the pedal goes hard. the strange thing is the electric vacuum pump was making a noise when depressing the brake pedal but i fixed this by replacing the main air intake hose which comes from the air mass meter. it had a split in it where it comes across and into the bleeder valve over the engine. the one on the other side (breather tube)also had a split in it which i have repaired. is there any way of locating the source of the fault ? could it be the servo itself ? is there a way of testing the servo ? much do you think think audi would charge to fix this ? the car is a 2002 2.o petrol a6 avant cvt any advice would be appreciated

s0niX
29-03-2007, 02:09 PM
i have the same problem with my car, when im braking normally they seem fine, but when i brake harse the pedal just goes hard and it seems like i aint pressing hard. Ive had it a few times where i have gone over the junction line when coming to a stop.

I have taken my car to VW and they say nothing is wrong. My mate had a polo tdi too and when i drove his car his brakes was super keen. So why are myn like this?

The car has 2 months warranty left, do you think VW could be waiting untill my Warranty runs out then give me the bad news?

gaz238
29-03-2007, 02:17 PM
have vw ran it through a diagnostic ?you need to find out if a fault is registered on the ecu. either find someone with vag com or download the free shareware version yourself from ross tech and buy a lead (i got mine for £13 off ebay). the fault with mine registers without triggering the engine management light.