PDA

View Full Version : Question Release the handbrake.

ratty369
08-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Hi All,

Is there a way to release the hand brake with out the engine running?

I had a bluetooth car kit fitted today, and the engineer had the ignition on most of the afternoon which drained the battery!! Neither of us had any jump leads so thought we`d just push start it.......but could not find in manual how to release the hand brake, even though it does say that the car can be towed. Im sure it must be easy and im just being dumb!!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Mike

ratty369
09-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Any ideas guys??

ScottyUK
09-05-2009, 08:01 PM
I drove home today and didn't put the handbrake on so the car sat there able to be pushed around if required.

You may have to start the engine, disengage the handbrake and then turn the engine off again.....but surely you've tried that?

ratty369
09-05-2009, 08:23 PM
The problem was.....i could`nt start the car in the 1st place, the battery had gone flat due to the guy installing a phone kit and having the ignition on and me washing it before hand with the stereo on for a couple of hours!!!

According to the handbook, it is possible to tow start the car, but i could not find out how to release the handbrake with out the engine running.

Im sure it must be easy!!!

ScottyUK
09-05-2009, 11:28 PM
ooops :o

Good point...however I'm stumped also :confused:

2.7 S-line
10-05-2009, 09:29 AM
does it not release like normal (with the ignition on but engine not running ) if you press the button down for a couple of seconds while pushing the brake peddle down ?

ratty369
10-05-2009, 08:06 PM
does it not release like normal (with the ignition on but engine not running ) if you press the button down for a couple of seconds while pushing the brake peddle down ?

You`d think so......but no it doesn`t!!

Its going into Audi on Tuesday, so i will ask them how to do it.

2.7 S-line
10-05-2009, 11:04 PM
wow that does sound pretty stupid :confused:

could add a whole new layer of annoyance to a breakdown - not being able to release the handbrake to get pulled up onto a transporter etc , glad i found out here and not by the side of the road in the rain !

Could you post how to get the handbrake off without the engine running if you ever get an answer please - hopefully its information i'll never need , but who knows !

Plife
11-05-2009, 07:59 AM
Surely there must be a way. I did try yesterday but couldn't work out how! Interested to know what Audi say!

2.7 S-line
11-05-2009, 04:36 PM
i just tried in my car - ignition on but engine not running and as long as you have your foot on the brake the handbrake comes off just like normal with a push and hold on the handbrake switch- not sure why your car should be different ?

Soot1e
11-05-2009, 05:38 PM
i just tried in my car - ignition on but engine not running and as long as you have your foot on the brake the handbrake comes off just like normal with a push and hold on the handbrake switch- not sure why your car should be different ?

Ratty's car isn't different, he has a FLAT battery.:aargh4:

2.7 S-line
11-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Ratty's car isn't different, he has a FLAT battery.:aargh4:
He just said could you release the handbrake without the engine running - i assumed he just didn't have enough juice to turn the engine over not that he'd run his battery completely flat (i have had a few instances in older cars when i've not had enough juice to crank the engine - but i've never been able to drain a battery to the point of no power !)

Foringo
11-05-2009, 08:43 PM
I wondered about this myself as my Citroen C4 Grand Picasso came with a small cranked handle for disengaging the electronic parking brake (via small aperture provided on the floor) in an emergency. I couldn't find anything similar provided in my A4 2.7 toolkit or anywhere to put it! It will be interesting to find out what Audi's fix is and why it's not covered in the owners manual.

bodger1961
11-05-2009, 08:59 PM

never mind the hand break the battery going flat with the radio on for 2 hours and the ignition, that should of lasted have you seen the size of it. on the 3.0tdi i think it came out of a submarine:o

ratty369
11-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Hi Guys,

The battery was flat but only to the point of not being able to turn the engine over!!! The lights, stereo, ignition etc still worked.

I just went outside to try again with just the ignition on, foot on the brake and held the handbrake switch down for 10 seconds + but the handbrake still would not come off!!

Ill ask Audi tomorrow and let you know what they say.

Hopefully it something that none of us really have to worry about......but you never no!!

Cheers.

Hillbeley
12-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Ratty's problem was he had a flat battery - no volts, no electric for the ELECTRONIC handbrake!
I had a 3.2 DSG Passat SLE Estate with the electronic handbrake and auto hold (std). Superb when it worked especially when towing - a nightmare when it broke. Both my wife and I got stuck at traffic lights with 4 wheels locked- not even all 250HP could move it - believe me. (the dealer changed the switch and it never recurred).
I now have a 2.0TDi passat, this will drag it's **** like a dog when the brake is on and you gun it.

Hillbeley
12-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Have you tried putting the seat belt on?