PDA

View Full Version : a4 98 knocking from n/s/f wheel

savage46
08-05-2009, 05:12 PM
all,

hope you are all well,

got a very annoying knocking noise from the n/s/f wheel,

happens mainly in general driving worsens over pothole/speed bump sounds like something knocking at the front wheel area ,

sounds like could be a suspension bush or tie rod or something of the like,

have looked on the internet and have found that there a lot of people with this issue,

should i be looking at the multi link suspension or at the anti roll bar bushes or both ( hope not ),

thank you very much for reading this topic,

youre help would much appreciated,

cheers

tony.

spartacus 68
08-05-2009, 09:29 PM
There are numerous suspension links on the A4, and any of them ould be worn.

Jack up the wheel and hold at a 10-to-2 position and rock back and forth towards you. Pay close attention to the tie-rod. If there's any flexing, and a distinct knock, then that's the culprit. Take a note of the position of the locking nut (measure distance), so it can be reinstalled in exactly the same place.

Also look at the upper control arms. If either of these is worn, you'll need to take the suspension strut out to replace. (You'll need a spring compressor). Also the pinch bolt which holds the the upper links in place (where the lower balljoint connects to the top of the strut), is an absolute sod to remove. Liberally spray with Duck Oil penetrating oil - and leave for a couple of days, prior to attempting to remove. You'll need a new bolt on refitting.

One final area - could be the anti-roll bar suspension link bush.

Any work on the suspension, use new bolts and nylon locking nuts. You'll also want to get the tracking checked as a matter of course.

DerSturmFahrer
11-05-2009, 02:28 PM
I also had a knocking from the front suspension, but on the offside and you could only hear it when cornering - it turned out to be a wheel bearing on it's way out - so spin the wheel and listen for a hum - if there's a hum then that's your culprit.....just my tuppence worth.

Regards,

Darren.

steeevo
11-05-2009, 09:38 PM
tell me about it the pinch bolt is the worst bolt on this car, its been in the garage for 4 days jus trying to get the bolt out in the end he had to get a special tool which drills it out, and i lubricated it with rost off and oil for about a week before it went to get new suspension because i knew how hard it was to get out!!!!!!!!!!!

spartacus 68
12-05-2009, 09:20 PM
I eventually had to use an acetylene torch. I hammered it for 2 days with absolutely no movement. Even drenched it with Duck Oil penetrating oil.:zx11:

savage46
13-05-2009, 12:05 PM
all,

thank you very much for the replies,

thought i had best have a look at the weeknd just gone,

jacked up the old girl and the wheel bearing is fine,

on closer inspection the top two bushes/links and also the anti-roll bar link seem to have a fair bit of play in them,

on the top 2 bushes it seems that the rubber has gone really flexible, i checked with the car jacked up and also on the ground seems to have more play when on the ground the anti roll bar link just seems to have too much play in it for my liking,

is it the top two that are a pain to change ( the 2 that have the pinch bolt through them ),

thank you for replying so readily on this issue,

hope to hear from you all soon,

thanks again,

tony .

rhencullen1989
14-05-2009, 12:33 PM
In all honesty, they are all a pain to change, the top ones are not too bad if you can get the long pinch bolt out. Soak it in penetrating oil for several days and keep tapping with a hammer.

I ended up using some heat and a long breaker bar and just jently rocked the bolt head back and forth until it started to moove. Don't snap it off though!! the strut will need lowering (3 bolts in inner wing from under bonnet) to remove the front upper inner bolt, front upper rear can be removed without lowering strut assy.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!:approve: