PDA

View Full Version : Please Help A3 TDI turbo problem

Paul F
08-05-2009, 02:50 PM
I have a late 2000 A3 TDI 110hp and keep having boost problems with the turbo. When under full load, typically 3 - 4,000 revs going uphill on full throttle the power suddenly reduces which is obviously a problem if overtaking. If, whilst still moving and in gear, the ignition is turned off and back on so the car restarts, it is back to normal. There is no engine management light. My local garage has had a play, trying replacement boost valves, but unsuccessfully. They have now got an Audi diagnostic reader and come up with the Audi fault code 17965 (turbocharger pressure control limit exceeded - turbocharger wastegate regulating valve). They had a word with the local Audi dealer who said it could be a cracked body to the turbocharger, a problem with the intercooler and a lot of perhaps and maybe. I've got the car booked back in to the garage to take off the turbocharger, as I am loathe to let the main agent loose in a speculative manner at £££££ per hour, and have a physical look but I thought I would try you folk to see if it was a known problem. This is my first post here so please excuse any breach of protocols.

Paul

Gabrielsande
12-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi. I have a 2005 TDI with the same problem, the turbo is over boosting, and makes the limp mode to kick in, Im investigating at this moment I will post my results, I have the equipment to check them, also I have an other a3 same car same year, which is running ok so Im comparing data, to find the fault!

Cheers

Paul F
12-05-2009, 01:54 PM
I now understand it is likely to be caused by carbon build up affecting the variable vanes and therefore causing overboosting. There is apparently a product which can be used to dissolve or clean off the carbon but it is not guaranteed, the alternative is a recon turbo which is the route I shall go.

Gabrielsande
12-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Hi again, just doing some tests, if I move the vanes actuator using vacum the flow changes,moved the top end adjusting screw, to see if I can lower the pressure down. then took some ridings.

The good A3 with the car standing (not driving)

RPM -- Desired boost pressure -- Actual boost pressure

1000 1030 989
2000 1061 1030
3000 1163 1122
4000 1234 1295

BAD A3

1000 1030 1000
2000 1061 1030
3000 1163 1200
4000 1244 1826

its ok up to 3000 revs then it goes mad! but now with the little adjustment and cleaning the waste gate at least does not triggs the limp mode (for now).

Thanks for your advice, I thought about the turbo replacment, but I have to make shure is the one causing the problem, before replacing.

Still to check the condition of the pressure sensor which I can't find, I think is in the intercooler, I have a look now, if is easy to remove I might change it over to have an other scan later.

Gabrielsande
12-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Hi again!, found the sensor is in the lower n/s intercooler hose, swaped over, no change still the same, new turbo about 1K! from main dealer,340 recond 570 new aftermarket

Gabrielsande
12-05-2009, 03:39 PM
the original fault code was, 16618 boost pressure regulation limit exceeded over boost condition p0234

bob1698
15-05-2009, 08:35 PM
hi great these pages where you all talk one can learn a lot,
are there any common problems with these turbos!
I just bought a 1998 A3 TDI

in 1st it seems ok
2nd it will cut the turbo out
120km turbo will stop

well i changed the air flow sensor that did nothing, checked fuel nothing

been thinking about pulling turbo off,

then tonight i found it had been in a crash repaired and the intercooler was damaged so they guled it together and put it back,

all vacum hoses and sencors were checked as well as waste gate rod movement,

i will replace the intercooler and see what happens, i have a feeling the turbo will still need to come off,

she is also very bad for black smoke so injectors might be changed after the intercooler and turbo are sorted,

intercooler was leaking oil thats why i looked at it

jsingh
16-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Hi had the similar problems with my tdi, i did a number of things to help sort the boost "problem" out. I cleaned the egr valve as it was filthy and also one the pipes leading towards the turbo had split.

bob1698
16-05-2009, 07:57 PM
I have now replaced the intercooler beacuse it was guled together and was leaking so bad all boost was being lost,

so when your boost is lost fuel ratio is very high with low air, ecu will notice this after 3grand and place car in limp mode,
stop and restart and car will reset,

boost loss will result in black some no power and limp mode cutts in,

after a 30min thrashing it stoped black smoke and goes like a normal tdi pulling all the way through the rev band,

now the car is back to perfect with full power and no smoke

I did replace all rubber pipes, fuel filter, MAF, air filter before i found what was the problem tho,

even a lap to reading fault codes could not tell me that the intercooler was the fault

bob1698
16-05-2009, 07:58 PM
where is the egr valve and what does it do mate

Phatboyruss1
19-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Hi guys, im a little confused about this thread, could someone please clarify for me...

My A3 (2004 8P) has just started doing the same sort of thing, boosting to about 3k mark (usually 60-70mph) and then going into limp mode. A quick switch off and restart solves the problem for a while.

After my service I was advised that I have an intercooler seal thats leaking, i've spoken to an Audi mechanic and he said that this wouldn't help but is unlikley to be the cause (but book it in for us to look at £££££)

Is it the Turbo itself? Broken/craked pipes? Intercooler seal? Sticking actuator?

Please help, the car has already cost me £400 this month, could do without anymore expense....

bob1698
19-01-2010, 04:08 PM
I got an AUDI A3,

When driving over 3000rpm the turbo cut out, and limp mode came in,
after stoping the car turning it off and restarting it the worked ok but only up to 3000rpm

When i asked people they said MAF/ turbo and many other things,

When I looked myself I found the intercooler was damaged

I replaced the intercooler and the car now works fine,

Phatboyruss1
19-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Cheers bob1698

So it might be the seal then, worth a go replacing both I suppose, thier just over a tenner each... cheaper first try solution and it needs doing anyway.

Anyone else got any other ideas? I'm going to try replacing the fuel filter, don't know when it was last changed...

bob1698
19-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Do a small service fuel filter air filter,

Take the intercooler off and have a look at it, check the pipes for any leaks

I changed the mass airflow sencor but it made no differance, on mine tho people say that they do go wrong and show the same problems you have,

you just have to try things 1 at a time,

Phatboyruss1
20-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Just had the fault codes read (non vag-com thou) and there are no codes found.... my mechanic suspects the airflow meter.

barryareef
22-01-2010, 11:30 AM
I now understand it is likely to be caused by carbon build up affecting the variable vanes and therefore causing overboosting. There is apparently a product which can be used to dissolve or clean off the carbon but it is not guaranteed, the alternative is a recon turbo which is the route I shall go.

Moderator edit:

If you're not approved to advertise your company, don't

Read the Rules (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=25680)

fourringsrus
22-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Hi to all above,though bob 1698 seems to have sorted his turbo/intercooler issues,please before spending lots at poorly educated garages or unsure main dealers check out the many recent threads about limp mode on the tdi engines
The turbo's vanes are most commonly sticking and causing overboost situations just like you all refer to.
This in most cases is cured by replacing the turbo with new or re-conditioned item.
Hope this is helpfull
Stuart

fourringsrus
22-01-2010, 08:17 PM
where is the egr valve and what does it do mate

Bob the EGR is;
Exhaust
Gas
Recirculating ...valve
In broad terms this is situated between the inlet manifold and the exhaust manifold,it's purpose is as described in it's name,to recirculate the exhaust gases to be burned/cycled again thus making the gases cleaner when they are eventually spent, and presumably getting the most from a combustion cycle
Stuart