PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Front Wheel Knocking

kknb3534
07-05-2009, 04:45 PM
I have seen from previous posts front wheel 'knocking' seems to be a common issue. Recently had two new front tyres replaced (coincedence?) about a week after noticed knocking noise coming from front nearside wheel when moving from stationary, initially thought something is loose under front of car but nothing noticed, similar noise sometimes noticed when cornering sharply.
Also there is a rubbing/knocking noise when driving around 30-40mph, it dissappears if I accelerate or if I brake, thought initially was brakes but they appear fine, this noise has worsened over last couple of weeks.

any suggestions? has been suggested CV joints or wheel bearing?

Look forward to all the help and advice I get :1zhelp:

zollaf
07-05-2009, 04:47 PM
dont wish to sound silly or state the obvious, but have you checked your wheel bolts?

08-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Get all the wishbone bushes checked. I have just had the same sort of thing happen to my car and had to replace all the wishbones on the front. Seems to be a common problem with passats.

cazyp
08-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Wishbone bushes on mine never knock when worn - they always creek like old bed springs!
Knock could be the drive shaft/cv joint, either inner or outer. Check for play.

ChillOut
08-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Had something similar, started after I hit a speed ramp in the dark, with a caravan on the back - was intermittent and I never tracked it down. Its gone away now oddly.

The knocking you get with wishbone bushes (on mine anyway) happens on lights bumps, although that went away too after I had it serviced, without replacing anything - I think something was loose after the shocks were done.

Yours sounds more like driveshafts/CV joints.

martin1810
08-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Drive in tight right and left circles. If you get knocking, it's the cv joints.

Panzerdriver
09-05-2009, 08:52 PM
dont wish to sound silly or state the obvious, but have you checked your wheel bolts?

Would agree with zollaf on this one, had this very same problem earlier this year. Rookie mistake i thought i had tightened the wheel nuts correctly but no i hadn't. When i applied the brakes the noise disappeared only to come back when released. DOH!!!

zollaf
09-05-2009, 09:10 PM
yay, someone admitting to it. :D. happens to the best of us, your sure youve done them tight enough, then uh oh.
the reason i mentioned it in the first place though was that the tyres were changed prior to the noise starting. now when a wheel is removed from a car for any reason whatsoever, the wheel bolts/ nuts should be re checked for tightness after the first 30 miles. the onus is on the driver to do this, but no-one ever does. 99.99% of the time the wheel nuts/ bolts will still be nice and tight, but there is the odd occasion where they do become loose, either because the fitter didnt tighten them enough with his big airgun, or any other reason.

Panzerdriver
09-05-2009, 10:26 PM
yay, someone admitting to it. :D. happens to the best of us, your sure youve done them tight enough, then uh oh.
the reason i mentioned it in the first place though was that the tyres were changed prior to the noise starting. now when a wheel is removed from a car for any reason whatsoever, the wheel bolts/ nuts should be re checked for tightness after the first 30 miles. the onus is on the driver to do this, but no-one ever does. 99.99% of the time the wheel nuts/ bolts will still be nice and tight, but there is the odd occasion where they do become loose, either because the fitter didnt tighten them enough with his big airgun, or any other reason.

I have to admit it was the first time in 29 years of driving so there's a lesson for everyone there. Better to be safe than sorry.

Formy
11-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Did anyone ever resolve this problem?

I have the same thing with my 2003 A3 TDI. When cornering hard left (only) I get a kind of rubbing noise, at first I thought it was the tyres rubbing on the inside of the arch somewhere, but after investigation it seems to be something more sinister.

It has now developed into a misfire at the same time.

I "think" it could be a worn engine mounting causing the engine to touch the inside of the body, with the noise being the cambelt rubbing on the inside of the cover. But I haven't investigated this any further.

Any advise would be gratefully recieved.