PDA

View Full Version : Please Help 04 Golf GT TDI wont start

VW GT
07-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Hi there

Really need some help here!

Just bought 04 plate Golf GT tdi, bout 4 months ago, was going great no probs, then i was driving after bout 6 wks and it wouldn't accelerate, max it would go to in top gear was bout 70-80kms. Anyways i pullled over turned car off, restarted fine and was ok then! Didnt happen again till yday was driving and lost power couple of times, again just stop started the engine and it was fine.

BUT ...This morning would not start up, firing but would kick in and then a strange clicking noise seems to be coming from glove box?

Please need some advise on what this may be and if its goin to be huge expense as i said just bought it and im gutted!!!! :mad::mad::crying:

Crasher
07-05-2009, 01:16 PM
I think you have more than one problem there, the loss of power which comes back after cycling the ignition will probably be turbo related (fault code 17964 or 17965) but you need to get the car fault code read, printed, cleared, try to start and re-read before we can help you otherwise it will be hit and miss guess work which is rarely successful. This clicking noise, is it coming from behind the passengers side of the dash or the drivers side? What is the engine code as you say Km’s and so you are not in the UK so we could do with knowing the engine type.

VW GT
07-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Do you mean by that to get it plugged in?
The clicking noise is coming from passanger side, its a 2.0 GT TDI 140bhp
Was orginal UK car

Crasher
07-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Yes, get it plugged into a diagnostic system to check for fault codes.

VW GT
08-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Hey, i had a mechanic take a quick look yday and he has told me thats it the timing belt, it has slipped....what is the best and worst outcome of this he has told me that more than likely this has cause alot of damage, i really cant believe it, when i bought the car they told me that the timing belt had just been done...by looking at it he thinks it looks worn and may not have been, or it was but the tensioner was not :confused: from wat i told u bout the car cutting out do you think i done alot of damage by re-starting it obvously i had no idea it was this....

He also said cause its a mk5 not a 4 there is a different engine in these?

Crasher
08-05-2009, 10:54 AM
This will be a 2.0 16v BKD engine. If the timing belt has been done and it has slipped, it has been done on the cheap, probably just a belt and no tensioners or maybe the water pump has failed. You have two choices, re-do the belt properly with the correct locking tools and see how it behaves or assume the worse and pull the head off and see how many bent valves it has.

VW GT
08-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Would that be best to do that first cost wise? That obviously would be the best outcome if it worked. Wat would you do? From your experiece have you every seen this happen and by just putting the belt on and that properly that the car runs ok after? How much does this usually cost and worst case senario what do you think i could be looking at?

Crasher
08-05-2009, 11:52 AM
It is a five hours labour gamble that could be OK, it is impossible to say but I would base it on how far out it was out and if it felt like it was hitting as I turned it over by hand. I have never known one get away with it, they hit at the same angle as being just over one tooth out. As to cost, it is going to need a cam belt kit and water pump anyway (only buy genuine) and typically a belt kit cost £400-£450 fitted and done depending on where you go and if it has hit, that is around 5 hours labour down the drain and a few bolts and the cost of that varies considerably.

ash44
10-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Hi, have a Golf 04 with the same problem, timing belt has slipped damaging 8 valves and Lord knows what else, absolutely gutted as I have only had the car 4 months. Could you please tell me, do i still need a new timing belt as mechanic says that it is ok? Also, for original post, is going to cost £900 + or possibly even a new engine :(:(:( and one more thing, I called up VW as have FVWSH, they said if timing chain was broken they would pay for upto 40% of the cost as goodwill as timing chain is a non serviceable part. Would it be the same for a slipped timing belt? Thanks

Crasher
10-05-2009, 10:31 PM
There is no way in this world I would reuse that timing belt, that is a stupid recommendation if it has already slipped, for the sake of a £50 belt, madness-in fact. For that one simple stupid piece of advice I would say stay away from the idiot who gave it you! A VAG Diesel timing belt is due every four years or 80K on the BKD pre 2005 engine so unless a new belt had been fitted in 2008 early 2009 at a VW dealer they will tell you to take a walk! The timing chain system has nothing to do with your engine. £900 fro fixing what has happened is way too cheap. I suggest you step back, think without the emotion of what has happened to you and take some clear and sensible advice before you embark on any more work.

VW GT
11-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Hi again, just wanted to say thanks for your advise was so caught up in all that last wk i forgot, im going to take the chance with just doing the timing belt etc, and says my prayers :(

Also i wanted to ask you, someone told me at the wkend that the engine was changed in these cars so tat if that sort of thing happend that the values wouldnt bend cause there not exposed or something like that...is it true, or what were they trying to tell me do you think, im not really good with remembering all the details cause i dont understand most of what im bein told, mind you i know alot more now than i did before this lol but everyone seems to have an opinion and all different things to say, some much info is confusing now

thanks

Crasher
11-05-2009, 10:58 AM
No, they hit!

ash44
11-05-2009, 10:43 PM
thanks for your advice, so far, possible options are new engine/engine rebuild, any idea how much this will cost ? car has only done 60k with fvwsh 1.4 fsi. not sure what to do, any advice greatly appreciated

Crasher
12-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Hang on, I thought we were talking TDI here?

ash44
12-05-2009, 07:44 PM
hello, sorry I should have been more specific, i guess what i need to know is whether I should have a recon engine fitted or have mine rebuilt. Have found engine 24k for 895 with 3 mnth warranty, but would like to know your expert opinion as mechanic says its my choice

Crasher
12-05-2009, 07:48 PM
A used engine you can hear running is a good bet, one you cannot hear running is very scary, you could put four days labour into the thing only to find it is faulty. OK the yard supplying may give a refund or another unit but they won’t pay the labour and wasted parts/fluids. Personally I hate used engines, if a customer makes me fit one it is on the express understanding that if it does not work it is their problem, not mine. When I put an engine in my VRS, I bought a genuine VAG exchange unit and turbo with a 2 year parts and labour warranty which is still valid.

ash44
13-05-2009, 05:55 PM
I am a bit sceptical myself about a different engine, what about a rebuild?
also got a quote for remanufacture, which apparently gets u 0 mileage counter and 5 yr guarantee for 1400? Again, thanks for your advice.

Crasher
13-05-2009, 06:13 PM
what about a rebuild?
also got a quote for remanufacture, which apparently gets u 0 mileage counter and 5 yr guarantee for 1400? Again, thanks for your advice.

£1400 would just rebuild the head! A full VW unit is £2900 inc VAT.