PDA

View Full Version : What bugs you about the Golf Mk VI

Pages : [1] 2 3

james_tiger_woo
07-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Following on from my review of the Golf, my opinion is still building of it, but with the obvious positive, there is the obvious negative. (Newtonian if you will.)

So - what bugs you about the Golf?

Me, so far I have these:

A completely useless centre console - That slot where the iPod goes and the subsequent coin holder. I no longer need the iPod slot as I've changed the stereo, but it is, officially, useless for keeping anything in. The coin holder isn't much better.

The cupholder - The most frikkin' useless things I've ever had the misfortune to use - it's even worse than the Passat's which was pretty useless. As for the "bottle opener" - Why???

Not enough storage bins/not big enough - That sums it up really. The storage pockets are insufficient - I've come from a Passat which may influence this, but perhaps I should have specd the "storage pack" - although why the flippin' 'eck I woul dneed to "ask" VW for storage draws is beyond me.

Glovebox - I'm not that keen on the glovebox size either - same reasons - it's not big enough as I now have to stash a lot more in it - It's an odd size too as the vehicle manual sits in the way - on the Passat, it was cleverly stowed in a pull down slot above the glovebox which gave you a definite square glovebox. At the moment, if I put too much in it, it looks like it should close, but the manual is in the way.

Illumination indicator - On a serious note - Unless I'm missing something obvious, there's no indicator that I've got the headlights on. I've got auto lights which is all well and good, but I might want to put the lights on if I'm driving at dusk or fog or rain which doesn't come on automatically. So I might forget to turn them on - or off when I'm done with them - but there's nothing in the dash to tell me the lights are on.

Trip computer - It's inaccurate - Something I'll watch and go back to the dealer about at some point. I always do brim to brim fillups and write down cost, MPG, amount, etc (I've got a spreadsheet that'll calculate it all for me) and the 2 fillups I've done are:

Litres | Gallons | PPL | Cost | Miles | MFD MPG | Actual | Difference
45.44 | 9.99 | £0.999 | £45.39 | 472.5 | 52.5 | 47.27 | 11.08%
48.49 | 10.66 | £0.999 | £48.44 | 506 | 52 | 47.43 | 9.63%

Visilibity - It could be better if I'm honest - I find the pillars pretty thick, but maybe I'm being pedantic here....

Verdict - I still love the car - These are niggly things that I've yet to adjust to and I will - but if I don't identify them, I can't work out how to overcome and live with them.

Storage (Bins, Glovebox, etc) - I can just take some of the crap out of my car.

Cupholder - I don't use it that much anyway :)

Trip Computer - It's a useful indicator more than anything - the most important thing is the miles left before I need to fill up.

The illumination indicator - Not sure how to adjust to that one though....

Another long post - sorry :D

jay89
07-05-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm really happy with my golf apart from mpg - I've got the 160 tsi dsg, even though manufacturer figures state i should be averaging around 47 mpg i'm struggling to average 36! 95% of my mileage is done on a daily 90 mile round trip on the motorway so I would expect to be averaging in the 50's. Has any one else found this problem?

james_tiger_woo
07-05-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm really happy with my golf apart from mpg - I've got the 160 tsi dsg, even though manufacturer figures state i should be averaging around 47 mpg i'm struggling to average 36! 95% of my mileage is done on a daily 90 mile round trip on the motorway so I would expect to be averaging in the 50's. Has any one else found this problem?

Is that an indicated average or actual? If indicated - have you tried a brim to brim run?

jay89
07-05-2009, 11:06 AM
It is an indicated average, i'll try a brim to brim run next time i fill up

james_tiger_woo
07-05-2009, 11:08 AM
It is an indicated average, i'll try a brim to brim run next time i fill up

Do, I find it's more accurate - hence my discrepancy above.

HHGTTG
07-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Of course I haven't got mine yet - will I ever? But just by sitting it this car I don't think that I'll ever come to terms with those tacky rotary heater controls that don't give any tactile evidence as to their positions.

nokiauk
07-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Of course I haven't got mine yet - will I ever? But just by sitting it this car I don't think that I'll ever come to terms with those tacky rotary heater controls that don't give any tactile evidence as to their positions.

Guess thats a good reason for spec'ing the Dual Zone Climate :D

knt
07-05-2009, 07:56 PM
You'll be lucky to get those quoted figures, low 40s is possible when driving slowly ie 60/70 mph on motorways and 30/40 mph local roads, might also help if you don't revs too much before changing gear.

iallen1@btinter
07-05-2009, 08:03 PM
I dont like the reflection you get on the side windows from the wing mirrors, the tail spoiler is akward to clean cant seem to get really low on it, i pull the draw on the cup holders on the rear of the centre console but cant get them out, is there a lever or switch, dont like space saver, dont like that total miles keeps switching to kph, is this just mine, i would rather have a handle for boot, instead of keep putting weight on the badge.

machine
07-05-2009, 10:21 PM

Are you using crusie control?

I find it far more economical not using it.

as for the manual taking up room in the glove box, I took mine out and it lives at home. Can't imagine why I'd need it out and about anyway.

james_tiger_woo
07-05-2009, 10:39 PM
I find that CC is more economical - I've tried runs with and without and to maintain a constant speed, CC is ideal.

Another annoyance is the proximity of the steering controls to the edge of the steering wheel - on my journey home, I managed to skip tracks several times - very annoying....

HHGTTG
07-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Are you using crusie control?

I find it far more economical not using it.

as for the manual taking up room in the glove box, I took mine out and it lives at home. Can't imagine why I'd need it out and about anyway.
How can the manual be taking up room. There is a special slot or shelf for it at the very top of the glove box where it lies absolutely flat leaving the rest uncluttered - have you not seen this?

machine
07-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Even in the slot it takes up space.

I wasn't the one who found it a problem, but taking it out would free up a few more square inches for taller objects.

Ozram
08-05-2009, 04:12 AM
Having to wait 4 months to get it.....

Kremmen
08-05-2009, 07:22 AM
4 months - thanks for that, it gives me some idea when to start making enquiries.

JCClem
08-05-2009, 07:23 AM
I have a new 160 dsg: 1st fill gave just under 35mpg (measured brim to brim not computor).

As the car has only done 350 miles I do not think this is a bad start.

It was a mix of town and motorway driving but in all honesty even when loosened up I do not think I will be seeing mid 40 averages.

As ever we are silly enough to believe the quoted mpg figures reflect real word driving conditions.

james_tiger_woo
08-05-2009, 08:15 AM

I wasn't the one who found it a problem, but taking it out would free up a few more square inches for taller objects.

It was me that identified it - the problem could easily be alleviated by the manual being in a "drop down" slot as it is in the Passat. The Golf could easily have the manual in a recess just above the glovebox - it not being so means it protrudes into the space so that what you think might fit - won't.

HHGTTG
08-05-2009, 08:59 AM

For goodness sake! Take less clutter around with you.

james_tiger_woo
08-05-2009, 09:12 AM
For goodness sake! Take less clutter around with you.

:p

I've just come from a Passat to a Golf - I had tons of space & therefore tons of crap....

I'll trim down eventually, but my annoyance is that the recessed slot for the manual in the Passat can't take up any more room than in the Golf - as said before, you don't really need the manual every day so why have it sticking out & in the way?

HHGTTG
08-05-2009, 09:30 AM
:p

I've just come from a Passat to a Golf - I had tons of space & therefore tons of crap....

I'll trim down eventually, but my annoyance is that the recessed slot for the manual in the Passat can't take up any more room than in the Golf - as said before, you don't really need the manual every day so why have it sticking out & in the way?
I'm sorry but mountains and molehills comes to mind. When I first took delivery of my current Golf MK 5 I did not even notice that the manual was tucked away neatly at the top of the glove box.
You generally find that the more storage space is offered to people the more rubbish they find to fill it. The answer is so simple I won't reiterate it.

james_tiger_woo
08-05-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm sorry but mountains and molehills comes to mind. When I first took delivery of my current Golf MK 5 I did not even notice that the manual was tucked away neatly at the top of the glove box.
You generally find that the more storage space is offered to people the more rubbish they find to fill it. The answer is so simple I won't reiterate it.

I personally find that the storage space in the cabin of the Golf isn't particularly great - While I accept that I probably do have a lot of stuff (like CDs, etc), I would have thought that simple design such as putting the manual in a recessed space isn't rocket science.

Should the glovebox be taken away or shrunk so to discourage people carrying anything? Perhaps not, but it's the rectangular protrusion of the manual that bugs me - not necessarily the size of the space.

My post is "What bugs you about the Golf" - not "What drives you to insanity" (That's another thread).

maisbitt
08-05-2009, 01:57 PM
I have found TDIs get you closest to the published combined fuel economy figures.

TSIs and TFSIs have to be driven like an old lady to get within 10% of stated values.

When I drive very economically in a 2.0TDI, I can get 52mpg on a 30 mile trip. With a 140TSI courtesy car, I was lucky to get 37mpg with the same driving style.

Those figures are created in a lab, with the engine fully warmed up, on a rolling road, and no wind resistance. They've probably put duct tape all over the seams to improve the aerodynamics, and they'll be using some super-duper oil that is'nt standard fill.

Take out the weight of the driver and passengers whilst the economy test is performed, and it's no wonder these figures can't be achieved in normal driving situations.

maisbitt
08-05-2009, 02:02 PM
That manual isn't a bother - it's not like it is the size of a yellow pages, and sits in it's own space in the glovebox that cannot readily be utilised for anything else.

Take it out of the car and you might fit a packet of crisps in it's place if you're lucky.

Passat owners who need the space should stick with a Passat - the Golf is a smaller car but can hold the same number of occupants as a Passat - something has to give, and that's storage space.

My car is very clutter free - lasses feel the need to fill every useable space with TY beanie toys (especially the parcel shelf), but us lads should be able to make do with the space for some CDs, or an Ipod and a pair of sunglasses.

HHGTTG
08-05-2009, 02:14 PM
That manual isn't a bother - it's not like it is the size of a yellow pages, and sits in it's own space in the glovebox that cannot readily be utilised for anything else.

Take it out of the car and you might fit a packet of crisps in it's place if you're lucky.

Passat owners who need the space should stick with a Passat - the Golf is a smaller car but can hold the same number of occupants as a Passat - something has to give, and that's storage space.

My car is very clutter free - lasses feel the need to fill every useable space with TY beanie toys (especially the parcel shelf), but us lads should be able to make do with the space for some CDs, or an Ipod and a pair of sunglasses.
I am with you here. I think that if you run a neat and clean, clutter-free car it probably runs true too for your domestic habits, although not necessarily so.

james_tiger_woo
08-05-2009, 02:15 PM
My car is, unfortunately, the very opposite of clutter free - storage spaces are well used. However, I'm pretty **** about clutter on show so everything has to be appropriately stored.

The manual isn't so much in the way as preventing the 'box from closing. In the glovebox I keep CDs (spares in case I forget the iPod), some baby wipes, some handcream (no comments from anyone please!) and some city A-Zs (none of this SatNav nonsense for me). I remember that in VWs gone by, the glovebox was a one piece item that dropped down, whereas this one shuts upwards which limits the useable space.

I don't need the space of a Passat hence the cross over to a Golf - The Passat was needed to accomodate a baby and all the rest of the crap that babies bring you (Parents here will recognise the point there).

I recognise that storage space will give, but when the likes of Honda can provide good storage, you would expect VW to at least make an effort there.

I do have enough space in the Golf, I just think that better design could have been implemented to utilise the good space that the Golf has - the cabin space is pretty impressive and very roomy (not as big as a Passat, but the Passat is a bigger car).

Incidentally, if anyone tries to put a TY Beanie toy on my parcel shelf - they will be taken out and slapped.

james_tiger_woo
08-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Tragically, my desk looks like an extension of the local tip - I'm not a "Minimalist" type of person

Rhigour
08-05-2009, 02:26 PM

I have done 5000 miles now and my average overall consumption from new is 48 gallon and still improving . On a long fast trip I have seen 55 on the trip computer. It is the 1.4TSI DSG.

james_tiger_woo
08-05-2009, 02:51 PM
I have done 5000 miles now and my average overall consumption from new is 48 gallon and still improving . On a long fast trip I have seen 55 on the trip computer. It is the 1.4TSI DSG.

Impressive - Is that indicated or actual?

machine
08-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Something I've just thought of is the postion of the handbrake. Clearly they haven't bothered adapting it to right hand drive.

and mud flaps should come fitted as standard.

jay89
08-05-2009, 06:20 PM
i average - between 60 - 80 on the motorway, and it's dsg so no revving.

I've also tried driving 55-60 mph for a 30 mile straight run and just got to 46mpg. Still havent tried brim to brim yet, but find it wrong that manufacturer's can quote these mpg figures when they aren't practical.

I got a better mpg from my 2.0 alfa romeo which are reknowned for poor economy.

jay89
08-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Is it the 122BHP or 160?

iallen1@btinter
08-05-2009, 06:40 PM
my 1.4tsi 1.4 mk 6 se has done 800 miles and im only getting 31 to gallon

VictorPapa
08-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Tragically, my desk looks like an extension of the local tip - I'm not a "Minimalist" type of person

I'll take your fuel speadsheet off your hands if it'll make some space;)

Seriously, I'd make good use of that:approve:....I used to keep a detailed paper record for fuel on my last car so I'd love a copy if poss.

djradium
08-05-2009, 11:10 PM
I must admit i love everything about my golf (well, except on niggling rattle which the dealer will be fixing on Monday). I've done 1700 miles in it so far.

Drove from Newcastle to Swindon last week and back, filled the tank full. Got there and back with still Diesel in the tank, then drove another 70 miles locally before having to fill it up. A nice 650~ or so out that tank :) Drove 70-80 down the m-ways too (cruise control).

Oh wait ive found a niggle......

The ropes that hold the boot shelf have balls at the bottom of them and when the boot is closed those balls fall loose into the boot. Somehow one of those balls got stuck under a pram in there and when i opened the boot it snapped the hook off holding it to the boot, superglue fixed that. However, it was a right **** as i only had the car 3 days.

netherfield
09-05-2009, 08:08 AM
SEATS!!!!!,can't just get them set right yet,

and the heaters aren't working,that will have to be fixed when the private plates are ready to go on.

james_tiger_woo
09-05-2009, 08:32 AM
I'll take your fuel speadsheet off your hands if it'll make some space;)

Seriously, I'd make good use of that:approve:....I used to keep a detailed paper record for fuel on my last car so I'd love a copy if poss.

I've got a few changes to make to it to tidy it up, but PM me and I'll get you a copy of the latest version - Which will allow you to put in all your costs (servicing, tyres, etc) and will give you a full, real cost of ownership. What version do you want it in Excel 2003/2007?

Dave B
09-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Price.
VW claiming they remedied the cheap plastics they used in the mk5. They haven't!
Storage pockets in doors seem to be half the size of a mk 4.
No sill protectors.
Lack of nice exterior colours.
Interior Colour........Any colour you want as long as it's drab.
No plastic protection strips on doors.
Stupid space saver wheel.
Electric window switches straight from the pound shop.
Switch gear which doesn't feel special.
VW loosing sight of "The peoples Car"
VW claiming it's a new car when it isn't.

HHGTTG
09-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Price.
VW claiming they remedied the cheap plastics they used in the mk5. They haven't!
Storage pockets in doors seem to be half the size of a mk 4.
No sill protectors.
Lack of nice exterior colours.
Interior Colour........Any colour you want as long as it's drab.
No plastic protection strips on doors.
Stupid space saver wheel.
Electric window switches straight from the pound shop.
Switch gear which doesn't feel special.
VW loosing sight of "The peoples Car"
VW claiming it's a new car when it isn't.
Haven't you posted your annoyances elseswhere? I'm sure I have read this list before in the last two weeks.

Rhigour
09-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Impressive - Is that indicated or actual?

That is taking it off the computer reading. I started off by checking for the first 2000 miles calculating tank full to tank full but as I was getting pretty much the same reading either way I gave that up.

Dave B
09-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Haven't you posted your annoyances elseswhere? I'm sure I have read this list before in the last two weeks.

Just pointing out that VW have cheapened the car but it still carry's a premium price.

WeegieBob
09-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Being a first time VW owner I haven't found them any worse than other brands of new cars I've bought - and trust me here guys, you never want to buy a new American car if these are the things that annoy you.

My only bug is the front door pockets in the 3-door; where the usable space runs out going to the rear of the pocket there is (on mine at least) a narrow gap that continues on just big enough for pens, keys, etc to slide along, but a finger will never reach them. I've blocked the gaps up to prevent that happening.

WeegieBob.

HHGTTG
09-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Just pointing out that VW have cheapened the car but it still carry's a premium price.
In some respect I think that I agree with you. I know that I've ordered one for various reasons but I think that there are various aspects of the car which aren't as good as they could be.
I think that my MK 5, compared to its predecessor, was a revelation which can't be said for the MK 6.

machine
09-05-2009, 09:36 PM
My only bug is the front door pockets in the 3-door; where the usable space runs out going to the rear of the pocket there is (on mine at least) a narrow gap that continues on just big enough for pens, keys, etc to slide along, but a finger will never reach them. I've blocked the gaps up to prevent that happening.

I've found that a rolled up spiral bound A-Z fits perfectly on one side and my pens, tyre pressure gauge and torch rolled up in a duster fit in the other.

It is a strange bit of design.

djradium
13-05-2009, 08:04 AM
Got the passenger side rattle fixed yesterday, it was a loose air duct, but its all sorted now and the car is quiet once more (untill the next rattle)

maisbitt
13-05-2009, 09:36 AM
It should almost be a crime under the trade descriptions act to call this a MK6, 5.5 is more reasonable! Few changes to the plastics on the lower dash and doors, cloth change, steering wheel change, front end minor changes and a simplified multi-link rear suspension do not make a whole new car. VW have spent a little more on the plastics and saved around £600 build costs per car on the simplified rear suspension (2/3 of the price of the old set-up plus 4 hours labour saved per car).

I think the plastics are as good as VAG will allow them to be on the Golf, the Audi A3 sales would plummet otherwise.

The Golf is still head and shoulders above most other interior trim of it's rivals, and infinitely better than that of a domestic american car.

I hired a Dodge Charger in Vegas last December, and the equipment levels and trim quality were akin to my old 1985 Peugeot 205 I had when in Uni.

VAG probably have the biggest development budget of any car manufacturer, and they give a revamp and call it a whole new car. VW sometimes seem to throw money away - All those years VW said that "Pumpe-Duse" was far superior to common-rail, and now they're embracing common-rail in their latest diesels as they're so much cheaper to make.

Unless you're replacing your MK5 Golf because of it's age, you're not really going to get a whole new car switching to a MK6. In some aspects, the MK6 does not look as good in my opinion - the MK5 GT Sport looks sporty and aggressive and instantly noticeable as "not an ordinary Golf", the new MK6 GT doesn't look different enough from the lower models to stand out as a "warm" hatch.

For the lower models, the MK6 fromt end is a big improvement on the MK5, but when you're looking to spent 18 grand or more on a GT, you want it to stand out as a bit special.

maisbitt
13-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Unless they've made other changes, most of the MK5 niggles will be present in the MK6. The big one to watch out for is the steering rack - I've had one replaces 18 months ago, and it's on it's way out again. You'll first notice the steering being really clunky near full lock during parking. It is a massive problem for the A3, less so for the Golf.

Do VW introduce these inherent faults so that people don't dare keep theor new one beyond it's warranty? That'd be one way to keep new sales buoyant (assuming they don't defect to another brand).

james_tiger_woo
13-05-2009, 10:39 AM
I'd've liked the GT to at least have had a GT badge - or something obvious, now you've mentioned it...

maisbitt
13-05-2009, 11:03 AM
The fact that it doesn't boldly stand out from the lower spec Golfs was my main reason for switching my MK5 GTSport TDI170 to a Scirocco (coming soon) rather than a MK6. For those not having previously owned a MK5 Golf, it'll probably be quite a change for you.

That's obviously not an option for people who need those back seats for regular use (mine hardly ever get filled - occasional relative visits).

All said though, I've had 2 MK5 Golfs (1 x 2.0TDI 140 GT and 1 x 2.0TDI 170 GT Sport, and i've been pleased with them both.

Doesn't matter how good the car is, i'm generally hankering for a change after 2 years (and wait until 3 years most times), and the MK6 didn't feel like a change to me.

Dave B
13-05-2009, 01:01 PM
It should almost be a crime under the trade descriptions act to call this a MK6, 5.5 is more reasonable! Few changes to the plastics on the lower dash and doors, cloth change, steering wheel change, front end minor changes and a simplified multi-link rear suspension do not make a whole new car. VW have spent a little more on the plastics and saved around £600 build costs per car on the simplified rear suspension (2/3 of the price of the old set-up plus 4 hours labour saved per car).

I think the plastics are as good as VAG will allow them to be on the Golf, the Audi A3 sales would plummet otherwise.

The Golf is still head and shoulders above most other interior trim of it's rivals, and infinitely better than that of a domestic american car.

I hired a Dodge Charger in Vegas last December, and the equipment levels and trim quality were akin to my old 1985 Peugeot 205 I had when in Uni.

VAG probably have the biggest development budget of any car manufacturer, and they give a revamp and call it a whole new car. VW sometimes seem to throw money away - All those years VW said that "Pumpe-Duse" was far superior to common-rail, and now they're embracing common-rail in their latest diesels as they're so much cheaper to make.

Unless you're replacing your MK5 Golf because of it's age, you're not really going to get a whole new car switching to a MK6. In some aspects, the MK6 does not look as good in my opinion - the MK5 GT Sport looks sporty and aggressive and instantly noticeable as "not an ordinary Golf", the new MK6 GT doesn't look different enough from the lower models to stand out as a "warm" hatch.

For the lower models, the MK6 fromt end is a big improvement on the MK5, but when you're looking to spent 18 grand or more on a GT, you want it to stand out as a bit special.

Don't forget it uses the same roof panel.

james_tiger_woo
13-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Me, I can't comment on the change from the 5 to 6 properly as I never had a 5.

I can say this though - the 5 looked fat and too rounded. The 6 at least is a little sharper with more angles.

The size increase through ALL the Golf models, though, is astonishing - I believe that the Polo is actually bigger than the Mk1 Golf.

iallen1@btinter
13-05-2009, 05:11 PM
I have a mk6 and nothings perfect, i did look at a lot of other makes and they werent as good as the Golf, no one can buy a new Golf then moan about it, they had plenty of time to look at other options

james_tiger_woo
13-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Mine's a company motor and the (short) shortlist was a 1 series (too expensive for the initial lease, too expensive to spec up to the Golf's level and not big enough), a Mini (enough said), an A3 (wayyyyy too expensive for everything) and a Jetta (not quite what I wanted).

Everything else was too big or too expensive - 3, 5 series, Passat, A4, A6, etc

Personally, I don't think there's ever going to be a car that you totally love - there's always going to be something niggly - maybe that's just me. There will, of course, always be exceptions - If someone gave me a fully restored Citroen DS, there's nothing about that I'd hate.

Early-1800
13-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Mrs has a 2.0 TDI SE. Company motor but still costs loss of pay and extra tax.

Following a private Focus TDCI and with experience of VWs from 80s and 90s, mildly disapointed with the MK6.

Plastic steering wheel with blanking plates where the remote controls should be is a joke on a £17,500 car. Heater controls are tiny with tiny graphics, the lower ones hidden unless your head is down by the gearstick.

All the mags and websites say the interior is a massive improvement over the MK5, the MK5 must have been pants then.

Althought the manual appears to say you can, I haven't been able to get into the onboard computer to alter the settings for autolocking the doors etc.

It goes very well and after an initial 50+ mpg has dropped back to high 40s so matches the Ford.

The ipod connector is fab and stereo is the best Mrs has ever heard.

If buying private again it would be very difficult to justify the extra £ a private buyer would need compared to some of the opposition.

I pointed out some of this on another site and they didn't like it one bit. I put some pics up on the Focus owners site and got compliments back.

Unless someone can convince me otherwise I think VWs living off past glories and charging a premium price for an average product matched by lots of the competition now.

iallen1@btinter
13-05-2009, 06:47 PM
I think that lots of people me included, have been brainwashed into thinkink VW is really good, but i had a run in a focus 1.6 petrol and it was the same price as my golf, and it was naff the golf is on another planet, and after three years the golf will be worth a lot more than a focus

nokiauk
13-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Mine:

1. The coming home lights are by manual activation rather than automatic as per the MK5.

2. The iPod does not turn on/off with the stereo and is permanently left on, does not charge when car is off therefore battery was dead this morning, took about 10 minutes before it had charged enough to use.

maisbitt
14-05-2009, 08:25 AM
The current Polo is definitely bigger than the MK1 Golf, probably about the same size as a MK2. All the car companies are doing it now - the current Corsa and Clio look massive for a supermini.

I read somewhere that the next all new Golf will be smaller than the current one.

In standard form, the Golf MK5 is an average looking car, the standard MK6 is a visual improvement. The GT/GT Sport and GTI really stood out against the normal MK5, that doesn't seem to be as apparent with the MK6 - shame!

As for Focus Vs Golf - they're both good cars, but the Golf feels a little more solid and polished. If you want a £15k focus and it'll be worth £6K after 3 years, it'll cost the same in depreciation as an £17K Golf that is worth £8K after 3 years. Depreciation is a far greater consideration on a new or nearly new car than the initial price.

As in all german cars though - they have your eyes out for the extras - far cheaper to buy the next model up than to spec even 2/3 of the equipment differences between 2 trim levels.

maisbitt
14-05-2009, 08:32 AM
NokiaUK: The charging issue on your Iod, might be the fault of your Ipod if you have the very newest incarnation of your model. Just over a year ago, Apple, in their infinite wisdom decided to change the pin configuration on the Ipod docking socket for the charge pin. This has caused a lot of hassle for those Hifi docking stations and ICE set ups alike. The golf lead is probably set up to accomodate the 95% of Ipods that were sold before the pin change. An alternative connection lead may fix the charging issue, as it may have the "new" pin set up.

I personally didn't like the coming home feature on my MK5 Golf - the amount of people at work who used to come running after me in the car park to tell me i'd left my lights (as they stay on for around a minute after locking the car) on was unbelieveable.

james_tiger_woo
14-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I wonder if anyone here has tried a Honda Civic? I know I've mentioned it before, but it really is a testament to thought and design (in some aspects - while woefully lacking in others) - a truly ground up design while applying lessons learnt from other models.

maisbitt
14-05-2009, 11:22 AM
New Civic is inferior to the old one. They removed the multilink rear suspension on the new model to save money. On the outside I don't like it at all - too much exterior plastic. The bootlid has extensions to the light clusters, so much perspex on the back end makes it look like a school CDT project.

The old Civic was ugly as sin - a proper grandads car in all but R-Type, and even then the underlying fuddy-duddy styling showed through.

The futuristic design of the new shape has probably put a lot of the older Honda drivers off.

nebw
14-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Hello all,

My first post here so please be gentle.

I'm picking up an ex-demo GT 140tdi DSG on Sunday.

My gripes are:
- convenience pack features not fitted as standard to GT model. How can the top of the range model at launch not have auto lights, auto wipers, auto dimming mirror ? It's a very cheap option to add but if, like me, you want a car already built, then you have to hope the dealers are awake when they're speccing their demo cars;
- cheap and nasty steering wheel on the SE model, and the astronomical cost of speccing a leather MFSW as an option on the SE. The dealers I've spoken to are embarrassed by this: how can they sell a customer a £17k Golf on interior quality, when the main point of contact with the car is so inferior to what's in a Zetec Focus or similar ?
- like every other VW, I have to take it to a VW dealer for warranty work !

Right, now that's out of the way, I want to say that I love the MK6 Golf anyway, because it is much more refined than the Mk5. I had a Mk5 GTI previously and my MK6 GT (even on similar 18s) handles well yet is substantially quieter and smoother. I am sure that will be true of the Mk6 GTI as well.

It is a bit harsh to say that VW "just spent a bit more on the interior plastics": they have changed a lot of the welding and fastenings and panels, increasing body stiffness, as well as altering suspension tuning and mountings, improved the windscreen and side glass, fitted extra door seals, improved noise insulation in the firewall and in the wheelarches, all making this easily the quietest car in its class.

I had a Phaeton a few years ago. Lovely car and makes a lot of sense...... if you're travelling at 120 in a straight line down an empty motorway. Very quiet, very restful to drive long distances. The Mk6 Golf genuinely has some of that Phaeton refinement, more than the Passat or new A4 have for example, but is still a practical economical family hatchback. In cabin, the 140 diesel engine is actually as quiet as the 3.0tdi Phaeton was. That's some achievement.

I'd happily pay a £1000 premium for the advances in refinement over the MkV. When we bear in mind the fall of sterling against the euro and the steps VW have taken to cut overproduction, I'm surprised the Mk6 SE and GT prices aren't higher. The GTD seems a bit optimistically priced - why can't we just have the 170ps engine in a GT spec ? - but that's my only grumble about prices.

A sales manager friend told me that at the first Mk6 auctions just recently, they were hitting 87% of list price. He has been offered list price for his own demo car. So the demand seems to be there at the moment.

Thanks for listening !

nokiauk
14-05-2009, 12:14 PM
NokiaUK: The charging issue on your Iod, might be the fault of your Ipod if you have the very newest incarnation of your model. Just over a year ago, Apple, in their infinite wisdom decided to change the pin configuration on the Ipod docking socket for the charge pin. This has caused a lot of hassle for those Hifi docking stations and ICE set ups alike. The golf lead is probably set up to accomodate the 95% of Ipods that were sold before the pin change. An alternative connection lead may fix the charging issue, as it may have the "new" pin set up.

I personally didn't like the coming home feature on my MK5 Golf - the amount of people at work who used to come running after me in the car park to tell me i'd left my lights (as they stay on for around a minute after locking the car) on was unbelieveable.

Thanks for this. My iPod is the 30gb white video 5g version, I think maybe the reverse is tru in that the cable has pins for the newer ipod so as mines is older its not getting a on/off signal via the head unit.

guess your right on the coming home, at least you can use if you want rather than forced to and get the obvious comments about leaving lights on etc.

maisbitt
14-05-2009, 12:18 PM
NEBW: Can't believe that VW leave the convenience pack off for the GT - cheapskates. The MK5 GT Sport and GT always had these.

I'm not a big fan of the automatic lights (sensor is way to sensitive, slightest overcast and you've got the lights on), but the rear dimming mirror and rain sensor are a must.

A lot of the changes you mention as real positives by VW are cost cutting measures - the rear multilink suspension is slightly less complicated than before to save VW time and money on the car's construction, some of the fixings have changed (toggles swapped for popper buttons etc).

The lower door and lower dash plastics are a little better (the uppermost stuff was always the high end rubbery plastic) than the MK5.

More welding is always a good thing for rigidity. Mk6 must be like a slab of granite now, the MK5 boasted about 40% more rigidity than the MK4, didn't think there was much more to improve upon.

Most manufacturers are offering a lot more kit now on their cars - VW only put multifunction steering wheels on their highest spec trims or charge you and arm and a leg - these things are standard on a Fiat Punto now, wake up VW!

mr gee
14-05-2009, 12:56 PM
I came of a Civic, it was a 2.0 FD2 version and the golf is better in many counts.
Current fuel consumption 41mpg (tank to tank). Current mileage is 4000mi

Things that bugs me is I got a single cd instead of the 6 disc stacker (option I wanted was not in stock) and an annoying clonk from the rear when I traverse speed bumps. Will sort that out with the dealers when I have time.

maisbitt
14-05-2009, 01:24 PM
I used to get that clunk from the rear end over speedbumps in my MK5 GT Sport - had some unrelated suspension work done and it disappeared. Never got that clunk in the wet, only on dry days.

Maybe jsut a sports suspension thing (I.e. not on S and SE models), as my dads GT also had same clunk (and still does).

vdubdavy
14-05-2009, 08:57 PM
I wonder if anyone here has tried a Honda Civic? I know I've mentioned it before, but it really is a testament to thought and design (in some aspects - while woefully lacking in others) - a truly ground up design while applying lessons learnt from other models.

I've just traded my 06 civic in for the golf, it had 50,000 miles on it and the only problem i had was a faulty rear caliper, the only real complaints i had about it were

The handling was a bit ropey on twisty country roads

The drivers seat wouldnt go back as far as i would have liked.

No spare tyre, just a repair kit which is'nt much use when your wife continues to drive at 70 mph for 25 miles after getting a puncture and wondering what the funny noise is.

james_tiger_woo
15-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Two other things - the steering controls for the stereo are right under my hands when I'm driving (I hold the wheel in a quarter to three position) and sometimes toggle the "track back" button.

The instructions for the MFD don't quite match that in the manual.

Minor gripe, these :)

netherfield
16-05-2009, 07:59 AM
Funny how different people have different ideas,we didn't want the Golf to stand out,more to blend in,then it attracts less attention from the undesirables.

My Mrs isn't as keen on the looks of the Mk 6,prefers the Mk 5,she reckons it's lost the chunkiness of the old model,personally I'm the other way and love the shape.

There are two things that bug the Mrs as well,the biting point on the clutch is very near the bottom of the travel,and that you have to put the clutch down to start the car.

The first does not bother me after driving a lot of different vehicles at work you get used to feeling for the biting point,and I was taught to always put down the clutch when starting any vehicle a this puts less load on the starter motor.

onzarob
16-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Off Topic..ish

Any of you lucky MK6 owners got an RCD 310 fitted. I just bought one and need a manual to have a look at.

PM me if you can help.

Thanks

Rob:D

HHGTTG
16-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Funny how different people have different ideas,we didn't want the Golf to stand out,more to blend in,then it attracts less attention from the undesirables.

My Mrs isn't as keen on the looks of the Mk 6,prefers the Mk 5,she reckons it's lost the chunkiness of the old model,personally I'm the other way and love the shape.

There are two things that bug the Mrs as well,the biting point on the clutch is very near the bottom of the travel,and that you have to put the clutch down to start the car.

The first does not bother me after driving a lot of different vehicles at work you get used to feeling for the biting point,and I was taught to always put down the clutch when starting any vehicle a this puts less load on the starter motor.
Oh, I'd forgotten about that clutch business. That sounds a bit of a nuisance, in my opinion. I'd like to be given the choice as to whether I need to push down the clutch or not. Another negative point about my future car.

james_tiger_woo
16-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Off Topic..ish

Any of you lucky MK6 owners got an RCD 310 fitted. I just bought one and need a manual to have a look at.

PM me if you can help.

Thanks

Rob:D

I've just taken out my RCD310 as it happens so I've got one spare for loan purposes if you like.

PM me and I can always stick it in the post - as long as you promise to get it back to me :)

JTW

nebw
16-05-2009, 02:33 PM

The clutch bite point and slightly notchy change bothered me on a car I tested, which helped push me towards DSG.

iallen1@btinter
16-05-2009, 04:06 PM
my clutch is fine and gearbox is really smooth, i reckon the dsg is just a gimmick, and bet its expensive if it acts up when car is out of warranty

nebw
16-05-2009, 04:20 PM
DSG's no more gimmicky or expensive than a conventional automatic. If you compare it to a conventional auto gearbox, it makes a lot of sense.

HHGTTG
16-05-2009, 06:29 PM
DSG's no more gimmicky or expensive than a conventional automatic. If you compare it to a conventional auto gearbox, it makes a lot of sense.
But it's a pain to use in hilly areas where you haven't got the presence of the forgiving torque converter. It's all very well having a box that changes gear "in the blink of an eyelid" but I would not want to restart or be held in a traffic jam on a steep hill with a DSG box.

onzarob
16-05-2009, 07:01 PM
I've just taken out my RCD310 as it happens so I've got one spare for loan purposes if you like.

PM me and I can always stick it in the post - as long as you promise to get it back to me :)

JTW

If you want to loan me the manual I will make sure you get it back...PM'd :D

nokiauk
16-05-2009, 07:39 PM
But it's a pain to use in hilly areas where you haven't got the presence of the forgiving torque converter. It's all very well having a box that changes gear "in the blink of an eyelid" but I would not want to restart or be held in a traffic jam on a steep hill with a DSG box.

It's really not a problem, the hill hold on the new DSG box works well for hills and jams, on the odd occasion where person in front has been a bit slow, I've just applied the handbrake as I would in a manual anyways.

anthony_d
17-05-2009, 10:55 AM
i average - between 60 - 80 on the motorway, and it's dsg so no revving.

I've also tried driving 55-60 mph for a 30 mile straight run and just got to 46mpg. Still havent tried brim to brim yet, but find it wrong that manufacturer's can quote these mpg figures when they aren't practical.

I've just taken my 2.0 TDI on a journey from Inverness to the south of England (via my house in Aberdeenshire) on a single tank.

The longest leg of the journey from Aberdeenshire to the south of england returned an overall 69MPG on the trip computer. That was pretty impressive. On the motorways with cruise control set to 70mph on flat sheltered staffordshire sections, the instantaneous figures were as always very volatile but mainly in the 75-85MPG range.

630miles, 50.1 litres brim to brim, brings it to 57.2MPG overall. So there's quite a considerable discrepancy between actual fuel consumption and what the trip computer says.

maisbitt
18-05-2009, 08:19 AM
The mpg readings on my computer vs actual brim to brim values have always been very close to eack other on my MK5 Golf, few percent variance between the 2 at most, nowhere near the 17% that anthony_d reports.

As for the manual boxes - VAG make some of the best manual boxes around, certainly the best of the German marques.

HHGTTG
18-05-2009, 08:49 AM
The mpg readings on my computer vs actual brim to brim values have always been very close to eack other on my MK5 Golf, few percent variance between the 2 at most, nowhere near the 17% that anthony_d reports.

As for the manual boxes - VAG make some of the best manual boxes around, certainly the best of the German marques.
My current MK 5's gearbox is like moving a hot knife through butter - it's unbelievably smooth and precise.

paul.mgrath
18-05-2009, 08:40 PM
I agree my mk5 gearbox is really smooth, precise and feels like new. It may have only done 38K but as its a wifey car most of these are school runs and her driving to work and back (14miles) so lots of gear changes and clutch use!!

james_tiger_woo
18-05-2009, 09:17 PM
So far I'm averaging 47mpg which is still a lot better than the Passat - Trip computer is, over 2500 miles, 10.49% out.

Estimated range is averaging at 521.67 miles.

(It's sad to have a spreadsheet that'll tell me that at the drop of a hat...

WeegieBob
19-05-2009, 06:19 AM
(It's sad to have a spreadsheet that'll tell me that at the drop of a hat...)
You really need to get out more James!:p

Trip computer is, over 2500 miles ...........
Opps, you are! :approve:

WeegieBob.

alunlovell
21-05-2009, 02:49 PM
No red triangle or first aid kit £15 option, thats taking cost cutting a bit too far isn't it?

maisbitt
21-05-2009, 03:21 PM
There has never been a warning triangle or first aid kit in with a new VW in all the time i've had one (I have had 4 VW's from new!). This is not a new cost cutting measure.

If VW's are as reliable as they'd like you to think and with all those airbags then you should never break down or need first aid in the car through accident - i'm sure that'll be VW's justification for those 2 omissions!

Some Audis get a warning triangle (not sure if it's just the expensive ones) or used to.

alunlovell
21-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Serves me right for deserting Audi then I suppose. All the ones I've owned from A2 through to the last A4 had them

cdgthreesalmons
21-05-2009, 04:15 PM
My 2000 Bora had a warning triangle fitted as standard inside the boot lid - nice touch I thought.

ptolemy
21-05-2009, 07:12 PM
I used to sell Hondas before VW and, whilst they might be reliable, they feel as if they are made from tissue paper compared to the VW's. Honda have a very high opinion of themselves as some sort of technologically advanced Japanese BMW. Not in a million years. Good engines packaged in tat. Familiarity breeds contempt my friends but be in no doubt that you drive the best hatchback out there right now (and I no longer sell cars so it's not bias, just experience of both makes);)

iallen1@btinter
21-05-2009, 07:35 PM
my mate has a 2.2 diesel civic and its crap, rock hard suspension, it keeps pulling to the left really bad, creaky dash, and that stupid spoiler on back

james_tiger_woo
22-05-2009, 08:09 AM
I'm not a huge fan of warning lights, but I've realised that there's no indicator light for the front fog lights being turned on either - I'm not a fan of front fog lights (they're not very useful in the grand scheme of things unless you're in a WRC) but to be told they're on would be nice...

Obviously, you know they're on because YOU turned them on, but to have to look down, to the right and under the steering wheel seems an oversight to me.

maisbitt
22-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Front fog lights used to be an indicator that you had something sporty or expensive, and as such there used to be idiots who'd put them on at all times just to show they had them.

They're on everything now, so you get the charvas in their tarted up Corsa 1.2's and Micra 1.1's putting them on all the time.

I've only had 3 legitimate uses out of mine on the Golf in 2 years of ownership. They're just there to look pretty and illuminate the fog in front of you when there is fog.

james_tiger_woo
22-05-2009, 08:43 AM
I've not had any use of my fogs apart from the make sure they turn on and off

I've had cars with and without them over the past 10 years and never really used them - I had them on my Leon that I had for 6 months and never used them.

If I had to choose between a car that had and didn't have them - the only reason I might woul dbe because they look nice.... Plus the blanking plates for them is usually pretty damned ugly....

Early-1800
24-05-2009, 07:34 PM
I have a 12v ciggy lighter splitter thingy 1 into 2. Fitted Clio, Focus and Fester fine. Won't fit in the recessed ash tray 12v socket on Golf.....

fishyweb
28-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Had my 2.0 TDi SE Mk6 for a couple of months now.

Smooth engine and drive train
USB connector for music
Fuel efficiency (>700 miles per tank every time so far)

Dislikes:
Lack of indicator to show whether headlights are on or off
Position of handbrake lever (I'm used to it now, though)
Horrid plasticy steering wheel
Trip computer display - there is lots of unused space that could be used for showing more info concurrently
Lack or storage space (last car was an Octavia - great car, BTW)

There are probably others, but these are the ones that spring to mind.

paul.mgrath
28-05-2009, 02:10 PM
When i test drove the mk6 i didn't notice the location of the handbrake.

Yes i know its in the middle between the druver and passenger but does anybody know if they have moved the hand brake closer to the driver?

On my mk5 the handbrake is right next to the passenger which is really annoying as the missus always has her hand on top of it and i always get the 50 yd stare when i ask her to move her hand. Its as tho' they haven't changed the moulding over for right hand drive presumabley costs??

james_tiger_woo
28-05-2009, 02:17 PM
The handbrake is near the passenger.

And 700miles between fills?? I struggle to get 600....

paul.mgrath
28-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Cool, so they build into the software things like turn ac on and recirc air so you don't get gassed when reversing and leave the handbrake in a dodgy position. Wonder if they supply boxing gloves and a gum shield:biglaugh:

HHGTTG
28-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Had my 2.0 TDi SE Mk6 for a couple of months now.

Smooth engine and drive train
USB connector for music
Fuel efficiency (>700 miles per tank every time so far)

Dislikes:
Lack of indicator to show whether headlights are on or off
Horrid plasticy steering wheel
Trip computer display - there is lots of unused space that could be used for showing more info concurrently
Lack or storage space (last car was an Octavia - great car, BTW)

There are probably others, but these are the ones that spring to mind.
Have you not posted similar complaints elsewhere? Something very familiar about the post?

ralferoo
28-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Dislikes:

The demo car in the dealership has the handbrake next to the passenger seat but the picture in the brochure has it next to the driver's seat... Although I guess access to the sliding compartment thing is improved with the handbrake further away, but it will be annoying when a passenger is in the way.

fishyweb
28-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Have you not posted similar complaints elsewhere? Something very familiar about the post?
No, I haven't. In fact, I think this is the first time I've posted on any car-related forum.

RickT
28-05-2009, 05:31 PM
When i test drove the mk6 i didn't notice the location of the handbrake.

Yes i know its in the middle between the druver and passenger but does anybody know if they have moved the hand brake closer to the driver?

On my mk5 the handbrake is right next to the passenger which is really annoying as the missus always has her hand on top of it and i always get the 50 yd stare when i ask her to move her hand. Its as tho' they haven't changed the moulding over for right hand drive presumabley costs??

The hand brake is in a perfect place, as also it is in the Mk5 Golf and B6/B7 Audi A4 if you drive a left hand drive............

The fact is VAG group have tried to save costs and not mirror produced the centre console for the right hand drive market, hence why you are leaning over to the passenger side for it.

When your driving a left hand drive, the handbrake feels perfect... plus i also think the car feels nicer to drive on the Mk5 Golf from the pedal postion to steering wheel, everything just feels in the right place.

Rick

Rick

tdigolf
28-05-2009, 10:48 PM
i have a mk4 golf and the hand break is on the passengers side come to think of it..

J400uk
30-05-2009, 11:09 PM
I don't own one (yet) but my main annoyance with the MK6 is the MK5 style alloys on the new GTI, and the ridiculous list prices of both the GTI and GTD especially when compared to the better looking Scirocco and similar Audi A3s.

The trim levels are also a bit odd, especially things like the plastic steering wheel on the SE model when the equivelent MK5 Match had a leather MFSW.

Also, the daylight running lights look bloody ridiculous when its sunny!

Well said, I completely agree with that. However when the MK5 first came out the GT model looked virtually the same as the SE, only differences where colour coding, fogs, sport sus and 16" alloys. It was only when they launched the proper GT in June 2006 and subsequently the GT Sport in June 2007 that it started to stand out from the rest.

I'd've liked the GT to at least have had a GT badge - or something obvious, now you've mentioned it...

Well technically speaking its not a GT, its just a Golf Highline that Volkswagen UK import and advertise as been a GT.

james_tiger_woo
31-05-2009, 03:32 PM
If it's a highline then surely it should be badged accordingly? And wouldn't a highline not be lowered?

I wonder if there'll be a "GT Sport" soon in that case?

Crasher
31-05-2009, 03:35 PM
I’ll tell you what bugs me, not being able to afford to buy one!

elvismiggell
31-05-2009, 03:52 PM
I’ll tell you what bugs me, not being able to afford to buy one!

Ditto!

J400uk
31-05-2009, 03:52 PM
If it's a highline then surely it should be badged accordingly? And wouldn't a highline not be lowered?

Look in the first page of your service booket or on the data sticker of your car if you want confirmation of it been a Highline. It should say '2,0 TDI 103KW HIGHL' if I remember correctly.

It was the same story with the initial Golf MK5 GT models, they were just Sportlines advertised by VW UK as been a GT.

Possibly, but I don't see where it would fit in the range.

elvismiggell
31-05-2009, 04:04 PM

Surely that will be the 170hp GTD that VW launched... which is their most powerful diesel ever... apart from the old GT Sport that is. :mad:

J400uk
31-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Surely that will be the 170hp GTD that VW launched... which is their most powerful diesel ever... apart from the old GT Sport that is. :mad:

No, the GTD is level to GTI (in VWs eyes this is). GT Sport was a trim supposed to bridge the gap between SE/Match and GTI

maisbitt
01-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Glad I got a Scirocco - if you don't have kids and the back seats are only occasionally used, I wouldn't hesitate. Equipment level is great (not as much stuff as the Golf, but all the neccessary stuff - 2zone climate, 510 audio, rear dimming mirror, automatic wipers, auto lights, ACC), looks are great, drive is great (slightly better than the MK6 Golf, and miles better than the MK5), and it'll hold it's value better.

I love the ACC, but prior to using it in the Scirocco, it's not something i'd ever have considered buying as an extra if I was getting the Golf - prospective Golf buyers, try and get a demo of an ACC equipped version.

james_tiger_woo
01-06-2009, 09:52 AM
I looked at a Scirocco and I have 2 kids :) - It was the rear headroom that I didn't like (and the fact that at the time it wasn't on the Company car list - it is now though!)

I'll look in my manual later too...

Latest thing that bugs me - the headrests aren't adjustable (backwards and forwards)....

maisbitt
01-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Had a backseat passenger in the Scirocco for the first time yesterday, the mother-in-law. Thanks to the tilting/sliding front seat and low roofline, she had to be eased in and out, much like an arrestee getting in and out of a police car!

I suppose it wouldn't be fun for kids getting in and out like that, and the high rear windows wouldn't provide much viewing for small kids either.

J400uk
01-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Latest thing that bugs me - the headrests aren't adjustable (backwards and forwards)....

Thats a sign of the cost cutting unforunately.

Glad I got a Scirocco - if you don't have kids and the back seats are only occasionally used, I wouldn't hesitate. Equipment level is great (not as much stuff as the Golf, but all the neccessary stuff - 2zone climate, 510 audio, rear dimming mirror, automatic wipers, auto lights, ACC), looks are great, drive is great (slightly better than the MK6 Golf, and miles better than the MK5), and it'll hold it's value better.

I love the ACC, but prior to using it in the Scirocco, it's not something i'd ever have considered buying as an extra if I was getting the Golf - prospective Golf buyers, try and get a demo of an ACC equipped version.

Whilst I completely agree with your post, I should point out the Scirocco actually has more equipment than the Golf fitted as standard.

maisbitt
01-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Well, the Scirocco has more of the expensive toys (such as ACC), it lacks some of the smaller things, like the set of lights in the roof for the benefit of the rear passengers.

The GT spec of the Scirocco has around £1400 worth of extras over the standard spec for around £1000 more list price. So standard spec Scirocco in 1.4TSI and 2.0TDI is very slightly less well equipped than the Golf GT.

Although those individual rear seats are great in the Scirocco, it's a bit awkward to get to them, for those that care about such things, you've got to get the Golf.

Both the MK6 Golf and Scirocco have massive improvements over the MK5 Golf for ride quality for those Golf variants with sports suspension - my MK5 GT Sport was so crashy and harsh on the springs. That harshness compromised grip in a lot of situations. Practicality will decide whether you'd be better with the MK6 or the Scirocco, but they're both good cars.

J400uk
01-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Standard spec Scirocco isnt supposed to be comparable with the Golf GT, but having said that it has the RCD510 which more than makes up for the lack of a couple of interior lights.

WeegieBob
01-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Both the MK6 Golf and Scirocco have massive improvements over the MK5 Golf for ride quality for those Golf variants with sports suspension - my MK5 GT Sport was so crashy and harsh on the springs. That harshness compromised grip in a lot of situations.

Its funny how difficult it is to get a car to suit everybody - I have read in a few posts that the Mk VI suspension set up provides a better ride than the Mk V, yet I find it very "twitchy" on quick bendy roads, to the point I feel its too soft! Certainly the directness of the steering has something to do with the handling, especially with me coming from an "E" Class Merc, but on more than one occasion I've been caught out on a fast undulating corner - which there are stacks of where I live.

That said, I'll progressively grow into it and learn to anticipate the point where things get interesting and take appropriate action ...................... Still lovin' it though! :D

WeegieBob.

elvismiggell
01-06-2009, 08:00 PM
No, the GTD is level to GTI (in VWs eyes this is). GT Sport was a trim supposed to bridge the gap between SE/Match and GTI

I thought the GT Sport had 170hp... as does the GTD, putting the lie to it being their most powerful diesel ever, or have I minsinterpreted their advert?

Edit: Beg your pardon, on re-reading the previous sequence of posts I see your point about trim. However I'm still narked about that power thing...

VictorPapa
01-06-2009, 08:04 PM

I test drove the Scirocco and although it's a nice car, it wasn't for me. It's a shame too that the dash is the same as Mk5 Golf. The dash seems to lack something that the Mk6 has........probably finish and design. Surely it wouldn't have been that difficult to fit the same as the Mk6.

Robbie G
01-06-2009, 08:07 PM
I thought the GT Sport had 170hp... as does the GTD, putting the lie to it being their most powerful diesel ever, or have I minsinterpreted their advert?

The GTD is probably still more powerful as they measure the power levels at the flywheel do they not...

Plus rounding etc...e.g. calling the 158PS 160PS.

J400uk
01-06-2009, 08:28 PM
The GTD is probably still more powerful as they measure the power levels at the flywheel do they not...

Plus rounding etc...e.g. calling the 158PS 160PS.

The 170 TDI in the GTD is just a Common Rail version of the 170 TDI in the MK5 GT Sport, power-wise theres nothing between them.

Robbie G
01-06-2009, 08:45 PM
The 170 TDI in the GTD is just a Common Rail version of the 170 TDI in the MK5 GT Sport, power-wise theres nothing between them.

Nothing, literally? Are you sure? My point was that even if there's a 1bhp difference they can still reasonably call it the most powerful diesel they've made.

J400uk
01-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Nothing, literally? Are you sure? My point was that even if there's a 1bhp difference they can still reasonably call it the most powerful diesel they've made.

Both engines are 168bhp (125 kW; 170 PS) and 0-60 is 8.2sec for the MK5, and 8.1sec for the MK6, presumably because of different gearing or weight.

nebw
01-06-2009, 11:31 PM
IIRC the common rail version is happy to rev a little further, perhaps allowing slightly later shifts ?

maisbitt
02-06-2009, 09:14 AM
The Scirocco's dash looks nothing like the MK5 dash - it has more in common with the Eos's. The steering wheel is currently the same as that on the MK5 GTI (minus the red stitching), but i'm not a fan of the new steering wheel, especially the ones without multi-function. The Scirocco has the same knobs and switches as the higher specced MK6 Golfs (chrome trim on the light switch, chrome surrounds on everything else etc). The finish and quality of the plastics is every bit as good as those on the MK6 Golf. If they'd lifted the dash from a MK6 Golf for the Scirocco rather than the Eos then what would be the point of calling it a Scirocco rather than a 3dr Golf? It needs to have a different identity than the Golf inside as well as out, and it does that with it's unique door trim, 2 back sports seats and a dash that is noticeably different to that of a Golf.

Your needs will generally determine what car you prefer. If you have a family and those back seats get regular use then buy a Golf. If you don't get many back seat users for your car then get the Scirocco - it looks better, is better equipped for the things you'll really want, will hold it's value better, and you won't see another one every 10th car because VW are only releasing 9000 a year to the UK.

I did think about getting a MK6 Golf to replace my MK5 GT Sport 170TDI, but it just looked so bland, even in GT spec. I had no family considerations, so I went for the Scirocco. Under the skin it's probably 90% MK6 Golf, so no bad thing, it just feels a little more special to me right now than another Golf would have (and i'm not prepared to pay £22000 for a GTD, that price is ludicrous!)

The Scirocco is as big an evolution from the MK5 as the MK6 is - there are only 5 months between the releases of these 2 new cars, and they share almost all of the MK6 technology under the skin.

The common rails have a better rev range than the PD - red line doesn't start until 5000rpm (as opposed to 4500 on the PD), but will the turbo have run out of puff by then? Not sure, still only 300+ miles on my Scirocco and i'm trying to not take it past 3000rpm while it's running in.

The gearing is higher on the common rails, 6th at 80mph = 2000rpm in my 140CR vs 2200rpm at 80mph in my 170PD, but the commonrail seems to be less reliant on the turbo for all of its power, it has much better pull below 1800rpm than the PD unit. The 2.0SDI PD had 75ps (essentially an un-turbo-ed 2.0TDI), I wonder what the output of the 2.0TDI CR would be without the turbo.

I really feel that the Scirocco and MK6 Golf have a much better ride than the MK5, my old one was just so crashy, it lost grip over every pothole, grip from standstill was appauling in both the wet and dry (trying to get away when you spot a gap at a busy roundabout, give it more than 1/3 throttle and you were spinning on the spot). Composure going around a corner at moderate speeds was poor too - although I never lost grip, it always felt like it was about to.

On 18" rubber, the ACC on the Scirocco is probably essential for ride comfort and grip.

So what we have here is some good progress in the drive of both cars over the MK5 Golf, even though at a casual glance, the MK6 looks little more than a facelift.

james_tiger_woo
02-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Back on topic (as opposed to a Golf v Scirocco debate) - I find the gearing a bit odd:

In the Passat, I could amble along at 30 in 5th or 40 in 6th - I can't seem to do that with the Golf as "30 at 5th" and "40 at 6th" seems the be slightly less that 1000rpm. 4th and 5th for 30 and 40 is fine, but a PITA.

Not a big problem, but it's odd that I can't do that any more.

maisbitt
02-06-2009, 10:20 AM
In the PD TDI's the MK5 Golf manual used to warn against doing less than 1200rpm in any gear other than 1st.

Not sure if the new CR units have any such warning, mine seems happy at 1000rpm in any gear to just hold speed and not accelerate. I generally don't go less than 30mph in 4th, 40mph in 5th or 50mph in 6th. Those figures are just for maintaining speed - try to accelerate at those speeds in those gears and not a lot will happen.

The new ratios of the CR unit take some getting used to - I used to pretty much know how fast I was going by the engine note as I knew the ratios well, I have to rely more on the speedo now when approaching speed cameras.

maisbitt
02-06-2009, 11:02 AM
James:

You'd definitely not want the Scirocco - the storage is non existent. Have you got rid of all the Passat clutter yet?

Was messing on with the computer on the Scirocco last night, and found a setting which may explain some people's big differences between actual brim-to-brim economy and computer indicated economy.

On the highline computer, you can switch the units around for calculating the economy - maybe some people on here have theirs switched to US gallon MPG? That would explain a differential of 16%, with the computer reading being 16% higher than the actual (US Gallon = 3.8L, Imperial Gallon = 4.54L).

james_tiger_woo
02-06-2009, 03:10 PM
James:

You'd definitely not want the Scirocco - the storage is non existent. Have you got rid of all the Passat clutter yet?

Was messing on with the computer on the Scirocco last night, and found a setting which may explain some people's big differences between actual brim-to-brim economy and computer indicated economy.

On the highline computer, you can switch the units around for calculating the economy - maybe some people on here have theirs switched to US gallon MPG? That would explain a differential of 16%, with the computer reading being 16% higher than the actual (US Gallon = 3.8L, Imperial Gallon = 4.54L).

I'd love a Scirocco - Just because it's a bit cool.

Saying that, I'd much rather have a VR6 Corrado Storm....

I had, however, not realised there was a setting for US gallon - anyone else notice this? If there is, that'd explain a lot.

As for storage - I'm still going to moan about the lack of storage bins, but it is much better (I knew it would be) as I have rationalised some of the crap I carry around.

HHGTTG
02-06-2009, 03:33 PM
I'd love a Scirocco - Just because it's a bit cool.

Saying that, I'd much rather have a VR6 Corrado Storm....

I had, however, not realised there was a setting for US gallon - anyone else notice this? If there is, that'd explain a lot.

As for storage - I'm still going to moan about the lack of storage bins, but it is much better (I knew it would be) as I have rationalised some of the crap I carry around.
I suppose I would not mind a Scirocco if it weren't so hideous looking. Apologies is I have offended those here who think it looks great.
From the B pillar rearwards, it just all goes wrong, just like the new Golf, however, from front to back!

maisbitt
02-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Some would say that the weakpoint of the Scirocco is it's rear end, but as I have one, i'm biased and think it looks great all in, especially from the front (I do like the badge to be sat on the bonnet). Maybe you've seen it in the wrong colour, it is a very colour sensitive car.

I had a red Golf (and loved the colour), but think the Scirocco looks wrong in that colour (Salsa red isn't as bright as Tornado Red). Black and Shadow blue don't work well either, as they hide the shape/curves of the car and the black grilles don't stand out. Sumatra/Dark Maroon is my least favourite colour and the champagne coloured "Opal Silver" is not to my liking either.

I went for "Pewter Grey" which isn't grey at all, but more of an icy blue. Reflex Silver, Rising Blue and Candy White all suit the shape too.

Back to economy - there are about 4 different measures of economy selectable on the highline computer that is on the Scirocco, and i'm assuming the higher trim Golfs have the same set up. Mine was set to l/100km as factory default, but there is another km/l combo, imperial mpg and US mpg too. Could be that some dunce at your PDI has selected US mpg for you.

l/100km is the standard measure for the continental Europeans who scowl at our inches, yards and miles, so I could see why that would be default setting on a VW.

maisbitt
03-06-2009, 08:30 AM
So did everyone with a highline computer check out what their economy is set to? It's under the "units" heading in the main menu.

Anyone have theirs set to US mpg?

HHGTTG
03-06-2009, 08:45 AM
So did everyone with a highline computer check out what their economy is set to? It's under the "units" heading in the main menu.

Obviously not! Anyway can you confirm what headings are there under the 'Settings' menu

maisbitt
03-06-2009, 08:55 AM
HHGTTG: I'll have to wait until after work to check that one out - can't remember them all.

Hacienda
03-06-2009, 10:36 PM
I really like tha car so far but must agree the storage could be better, my old Megane has storage areas all over the cabin, however as good as the starage was the engine was rubbish!

The silver airvents do reflect in the windows, i do notice this every now and again, but try to forget about it.

My worst niggle is a vibration type rattle coming from the passanger side air vent, i really cant pin point it and as i bought the car 2nd hand from VW dealer i think the used car warranty will not cover its repair!

Any ideas how to remedy this myself?

J400uk
03-06-2009, 10:50 PM
I really like tha car so far but must agree the storage could be better, my old Megane has storage areas all over the cabin, however as good as the starage was the engine was rubbish!

The silver airvents do reflect in the windows, i do notice this every now and again, but try to forget about it.

My worst niggle is a vibration type rattle coming from the passanger side air vent, i really cant pin point it and as i bought the car 2nd hand from VW dealer i think the used car warranty will not cover its repair!

Any ideas how to remedy this myself?

I can't help you with your problem, but you have the same new car warranty every Golf MK6 in the UK at present has. It would only be a 'used car' warranty if you bought the car outside of its original warranty period, which you did not

Hacienda
03-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Thankyou J400Uk i must have got the wrong end of the stick when i read the VW website. I did think it was a bit unfair to lose the full warranty on a car that was only a few moths old with 4K on the clock!

I'm feeling a bit happier now!

nwhiteley
04-06-2009, 01:20 AM
The only thing that i have noticed with my MK6 GT160 is that it isn't that quick.

I really need to let it run in for a few hundred miles until i really open it up, then i will have a more informed opinion, its only done 38 miles so far.

Neil

james_tiger_woo
04-06-2009, 07:51 AM

Mine's set to Uk Gallons....

maisbitt
04-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Back to the original title (kind of), what really bugs me about all VWs is the 1 year breakdown assistance! Audi and Skoda get 3 years, Seat get 2, we get 1!

I expect to have to pay myself if i breakdown because I ran out of fuel or I put petrol in my TDI, or maybe accident recovery - but other than that, VW should cover you for the term of your warranty.

They have a "mobility" pledge which supposedly provides limited support for as long as you get your car serviced within the VW dealer network. The terms of this agreement cannot be found - there are vague references to it, and the terms differ from country to country, but finding some clear definitions does not seem possible without contacting Milton Keynes.

james_tiger_woo
04-06-2009, 08:34 AM
That's odd as my Passat had a 3 year VW warranty and this had/came with breakdown for as long as the warranty was in place...

maisbitt
04-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Might have been a special offer or special conditions on the Passat? The back of the Golf and Scirocco brochure tell you about 1 year VW Assistance for all VWs except Touareg and Phaeton, which get 3.

Ive had 2 new Polos, 2 New Golfs and a Scirocco and all have come with only 1 year's VW assistance. Your Golf will only have 1 years cover also, but will be covered by the vague "mobility pledge" between the end of year 1 and the first service due (and beyond, if you get you service done by a VW dealer).

The VW assistance is independent of the 3 year warranty on all VWs.

james_tiger_woo
04-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Possibly - I did buy it from a VW dealer so it might have been a Used Sales special....

machine
05-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Right I've got one.

I've got a 3 door and it's going to really bug me that the front seats don't return to their previous location after you've let someone in the back.

Going back years my old 205 had a memory function that made sure the seats would slide back to the right place.

maisbitt
05-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Machine - I think there's something wrong with your seats. Mine on the MK5 Golf and Scirocco return to position, as long as the backrest remains tilted whilst sliding the seat forward, if you straighten the backrest to lockable position whilst the seat is slid forward for access then you'll lose the last position.

machine
05-06-2009, 03:15 PM
You just made me a happy man, just been out to check and you're right, providing the seat stays tilted it does go back to the right place.

Now I just need to make sure my passengers learn this along with what leaver to use, the bolster adjustment lever seems to be the one most make a grab for.

Alabama978
16-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Drive a tdi Focus, then you'll know why people buy Golfs. I've yet to drive a quiet Ford car and laugh every time they produce a new "quiet and refined diesel engine" that still sounds like a tractor!

iallen1@btinter
16-07-2009, 08:59 PM
my sliding seat isnt that easy, even when backrest is tilted and i lift handle on top of seat its still hard to slide back, the wipers bug me, there automatic when youre doing over 19kmp, and the stalk is clicked up once, but when i want intermittent, it seems to get overuled by the automatic function, so whats the point or am i doing something wrong, the kmp drives me mad, and not having the total miles on all the time, i cant seem to get the cupholders to open in the rear. Saying that, i have driven a focus, and that was naff, the golf is way above

paul.mgrath
16-07-2009, 10:18 PM
I didn't go for the automatic lights/wipers because of the fact on my mk5 that the headlights stayed on all the time and the wipers worked when they shouldn't, and didn't when they should??

The wife moaned 'cos she drives it most of the time and now they aren't auto.....she moans:confused: about the lights mostly the old question of are they on or off?

Gonna go for auto next time, tho can't see why this isn't fitted as standard as it was on the mk5 tho cruise ctrl wasn't standard or mats come to think of it.

JoseSpring
16-07-2009, 11:38 PM
the wipers bug me, there automatic when youre doing over 19kmp, and the stalk is clicked up once, but when i want intermittent, it seems to get overuled by the automatic function, so whats the point or am i doing something wrong

There is a rocker switch on the top of the wiper stalk.
Move it left to lower the sensivity if the wipers are always on and you want them to go to intermittent.
Move it right if the wipers aren't wiping when they should be.

Robbie G
17-07-2009, 08:55 AM
The only thing that i have noticed with my MK6 GT160 is that it isn't that quick.

I really need to let it run in for a few hundred miles until i really open it up, then i will have a more informed opinion, its only done 38 miles so far.

Neil

Anyone else found that the GT160 has disappointed them in terms of pace? 158 PS isn't earth shattering at the end of the day, but it should be plenty to nudge the Golf along at reasonable speeds. 8 seconds 0-60 is reasonable so I'm surprised

Are you finding it slow in general nwhitely or only under certain conditions / from certain revs? Not sure how much difference running it in will make unless you're just saying that you're potentially holding back from giving it beans for fear of damaging the engine.

JoseSpring
17-07-2009, 04:50 PM
I've a GT160 and I love it!
Yeah, it's not the quickest car in the world, but it holds it's own in most company and, more importantly, puts a smile on my face when I drive it down country lanes.
Fastest car I've owned prior to this was a Ford Puma 1.7l - this car is (and feels) marginally faster.
Not sure what you were expecting...

Nightowl4933
17-07-2009, 05:00 PM
What bugs me about my Mark VI?

Hmm, I'd have to think hard because I love it, but if I were to be really, really picky, I'd want to know why the stereo screen backllight is blue when everything else is (beatifully) highlighted in red.

Pete

james_tiger_woo
17-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Something that I've found odd is that the steering controls get hot when they've been backlit...

HHGTTG
18-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Without any doubt, those rotary heater distribution controls that have no feel or obvious indication as to which direction they are pointing to unless you take your eyes off the road. They won't be there in the next model I would hazard a guess.

Dave B
18-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Without any doubt, those rotary heater distribution controls that have no feel or obvious indication as to which direction they are pointing to unless you take your eyes off the road. They won't be there in the next model I would hazard a guess.

If they keep increasing the price it won't matter, no one will be buying them.

MalcQV
18-07-2009, 06:20 PM
I was behind one today I think. It was an 09 plate a kind of looked a little different. That was it, it only looked a little different.

Nightowl4933
18-07-2009, 08:27 PM
I don't think there's much difference from the back, apart from the lights, the exhaust and the fact it's been lowered a tad, from my son's Mk V - but the inside is very different and the front look better - IHMO

Pete

mr gee
19-07-2009, 02:22 AM
New car is so anonymous, I hardly notice them on the street.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/gerardleesgp/Golf%20VI/P05-04-09_1230.jpg

paul.mgrath
19-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Transition from mk5 to 6 i have a few comments.

Single door entry. On the mk 5 you pressed pressed unlock twice on my mk6 i have to press unlock about 4 times especially if you have unlocked just the one door and change your mind. I now just open the door as normal and press unlock from the inside!!

Also whilst under this present spell of incliment weather when opening the door the rain drops down your back off the roof and soaks you through as on mk5.

Carpet in door bins doesn't help when children put half eaten lollipops or boiled sweets in them (not happened yet but i am waiting for it):aargh4:

Windscreen wipers seem to have sorted themselves out now (judder on return stroke) or have i just give them the kiss of death!

Other than that i find i difficult to find fault with the car.

timo'sullivan
19-07-2009, 10:31 PM
That it feels a bit like Vauxhall have put it together and not VW.

That the GT models now have TDi on the rear and not GT anymore.

That you get a cheap rear view mirror unlike before.

It is like as if VW has cut costs on the manufacture of new Mk VI.

paul.mgrath
19-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Thats true, very true but thats probably to pay for the free cruise control. Ha ha

Incidently my mk 5 GTTDI never had GT on it!!!

I think they started puttin it on them just after i bought mine (may 05)

Nightowl4933
19-07-2009, 11:50 PM
I'd heard the MkVI was to be produced with Passat parts to reduce the overall cost of a 'facelift', but they added a few extras to make it more tempting, like ctuise control on the GY.

I asked VW about the GT badge, but they said "...I can confirm that Volkswagen AG had made the decision not to offer the badge on the GT model, this is to avoid confusion with the soon to be released GTD (a diesel variant of the iconic GTI)

So there you have it - or not, in the case of a GT badge :(

Robbie G
20-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Personally I'm glad there's no GT badge on it, as this increases the incidents of roy bacers trying to beat you away from the line.

Driving back from work the other day, I saw a MkVI with a GT badge on the grill, so the option is still there for people to add the badge anyway (I assume it was the MkV badge), but personally I can't see the point. I'd rather people found out it was reasonably nippy through actions on the road rather than me illustrating that it's a GT only to be annihilated by a souped up Saxo.

Also I personally have no desire to try and impress people by letting them know I own a GT as opposed to a normal spec Golf.

Robbie G
20-07-2009, 10:10 AM
That it feels a bit like Vauxhall have put it together and not VW.

That you get a cheap rear view mirror unlike before.

It is like as if VW has cut costs on the manufacture of new Mk VI.

I think you're in the minority with that view. Of course they are profiteering with their MkVI, as all car companies have done and will continue to do, but go and sit in a Vauxhall hatchback and tell me it's a patch on the MkVI.

Not noticed anything worse about the rear view mirror either.

J400uk
26-07-2009, 04:13 PM

Thats cos its not a GT, its just a 'Highline' that VW-UK advertise and market as a GT.

It was the same story with the MK5, up until June 2006 they were just 'Sportlines' advertised and markted as GTs.

Foxtrot Oscar
26-07-2009, 04:17 PM
For this reason (that it's not really a GT) I personally am glad that they got rid of the GT badges.

Crasher
26-07-2009, 05:06 PM
They did that with the Golf 4 Highline as well.

JoseSpring
26-07-2009, 09:42 PM
So, what does make a "geniune GT"?
I'm not sure what the Mk6 GT is missing that the Mk5 GT had, other than the badge and the honeycomb grill.
The current GT spec is definately a more sporting spec than the SE, with differentiation in the wheels, suspension, (generally) faster engines, sports seats, etc.
Different markets will always call different models different things.
I'm not aware that the Mk5 was any more or less deserving of the GT badge than the Mk6.
I'm actually swayed by the argument that the GT is no longer badged as such more because of the new GTD to partner the GTI, and with a GT TDI on the market this would devalue the perception of the GTD.

J400uk
26-07-2009, 11:37 PM

If it was actually a proper GT, i.e. designed and branded as a GT. The factory in Germany produces Highline spec Golf MK6s which are simply advertised as GTs in the UK.

Honeychild
26-07-2009, 11:38 PM
I've been driving my SE 122 TSI for about 4 weeks now. Must say that my only 2 gripes (so far) is the lack of storage space in the cabin and the crappy plastic steering wheel.....it's uncomfortable on long journeys.

Otherwise, it's absolutely lovely!

timo'sullivan
26-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Mirror is worse so maybe your in your minority there.

And on the V5 it says GT.

If it was not a GT trading standards would be very intrested

paul.mgrath
27-07-2009, 08:10 AM
I'm not sure what the Mk6 GT is missing that the Mk5 GT had, other than the badge and the honeycomb grill.
The current GT spec is definately a more sporting spec than the SE, with differentiation in the wheels, suspension, (generally) faster engines, sports seats, etc.
I'm not aware that the Mk5 was any more or less deserving of the GT badge than the Mk6.
I'm actually swayed by the argument that the GT is no longer badged as such more because of the new GTD to partner the GTI, and with a GT TDI on the market this would devalue the perception of the GTD.

Thats exactly it Jose i bet they they don't badge it as a GT so as not to take sales off the GTD. Remember a few years ago when BMW derated the 335d/330d (can't remember exactly what model) so as not to embarress the m3? Its all about sales init!!!

I'm not however really bothered about a badge just a spec and the GTD don't do it for me!!!

Foxtrot Oscar
27-07-2009, 09:07 AM

It was equally as ill-deserving of the GT badge as the MkVI and I'll tell you what doesn't make a GT: the fact that the fastest available engine is also available in the SE spec car on the continent!

The fact is that, to answer your question, consumer perception makes a car a GT or not, as it's simply a throw away term. My personal perception is that it's a sporty SE, not a GT.

That is a large part of the reason, yes. A 'GTi diesel' was a sensible decision with diesels becoming more and more popular and having a GT badged highline would definitely have harmed the GTD's sales as stated above.

Mirror is worse so maybe your in your minority there.

And on the V5 it says GT.

If it was not a GT trading standards would be very intrested

No they wouldn't as the term GT is just a marketing one and does not define a specific required minimum set of features.

JoseSpring
27-07-2009, 01:17 PM
No they wouldn't as the term GT is just a marketing one and does not define a specific required minimum set of features.

Thank you. That's the point I was trying to make!
Therefore the debate of whether it's a "true GT" or not is largely irrelevant - there is no required spec.
If they want to call it a GT, they're free to.
Similarly, if they want to badge it a GT, they're free to.
For the Mk6 VW have decided to call it a GT but not to badge it a GT.
Ergo, it's purely a marketing decision, and nothing to do with what it's called in Germany.

Anyway, here's the solution (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-MK5---%22GT%22---REAR-BADGE-CHROME_W0QQitemZ330347322195QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ2 0090726?IMSfp=TL090726134001r15373)! ;-)

kodkod.84
27-07-2009, 02:30 PM
It's just trim levels, nothing else. I remember the MK5 having S,SE,Sport,GT all on the same line up.
Then they amalagmated the Sport and GT to make the imaginatively titled GT Sport lol which looked exactly like the old GT but with some minor differences.

Where the MK6 GTD fits in is a bit strange as it is not exactly a GTi with a diesel engine with differing steering wheel, wheels and exhaust layout, and the power output is not any more than the MK5 GT 170.

Foxtrot Oscar
28-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Having owned a 1.4 TSi (160 petrol DSG) for a week now (and already done ~400 miles :D), I can start to comment on the things that are bugging me:

- no option to set autolock via highline / MFD
- a creaking driver's seat (creaks when I accelerate and break, can replicate by rocking forwards and backwards in my seat)
- a creak from the passenger b-pillar area somewhere
- a small rattle from the glovebox area and the area below where the steering wheel column enters the dash display
- having to press the keyfob three times to unlock the back doors!!
- no indicator as to headlight status on auto mode
- when I start the engine there's a three second period when it sounds a bit like a diesel, probably just the starter motor / starting system, as after that it's quiet as a mouse
- 'cooled glovebox' cannot apparently be cooled independently of the aircon system so in the winter when you need the cabin heating on, forget keeping sandwiches cool in the glovebox
- I can't seem to get total miles to display on the MFD. Total miles on the clock only appears when I switch the engine off; while the engine is running it insists on telling me what the cruise control speed is set to. Probably just something I'm doing wrong.

As you may have gathered I'm an obsessive rattle hater! The b-pillar one really is annoying me though.

Any suggestions as to grease points on the seats are well received as if I can avoid having to take it to VW and sit around for such minor problems, I will.

On the plus side, I love driving it and it's comfortable and quiet. I love the seats and the driving position.

Also I have only today discovered the kickdown function that gives you a nice extra little boost of acceleration (just keep pressing the throttle pedal when it starts to feel like it's reached the end of it's travel).

elidag
28-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Having owned a 1.4 TSi (160 petrol DSG) for a week now (and already done ~400 miles :D), I can start to comment on the things that are bugging me:

- no option to set autolock via highline / MFD
- a creaking driver's seat (creaks when I accelerate and break, can replicate by rocking forwards and backwards in my seat)
- a creak from the passenger b-pillar area somewhere
- a small rattle from the glovebox area and the area below where the steering wheel column enters the dash display
- having to press the keyfob three times to unlock the back doors!!
- no indicator as to headlight status on auto mode
- when I start the engine there's a three second period when it sounds a bit like a diesel, probably just the starter motor / starting system, as after that it's quiet as a mouse
- 'cooled glovebox' cannot apparently be cooled independently of the aircon system so in the winter when you need the cabin heating on, forget keeping sandwiches cool in the glovebox
- I can't seem to get total miles to display on the MFD. Total miles on the clock only appears when I switch the engine off; while the engine is running it insists on telling me what the cruise control speed is set to. Probably just something I'm doing wrong.

As you may have gathered I'm an obsessive rattle hater! The b-pillar one really is annoying me though.

Any suggestions as to grease points on the seats are well received as if I can avoid having to take it to VW and sit around for such minor problems, I will.

On the plus side, I love driving it and it's comfortable and quiet. I love the seats and the driving position.

Also I have only today discovered the kickdown function that gives you a nice extra little boost of acceleration (just keep pressing the throttle pedal when it starts to feel like it's reached the end of it's travel).
It is definately possible to set autolock on the highline display and well setting the lock/unlock setting for the rear doors. The status of the headlights is displayed on the switch where the light symbol lights up when the lights have been turned on. Another giveaway are the two red LEDs in the overhead panel which also come on with the headlights

paul.mgrath
29-07-2009, 01:26 PM
On my dashboard if you have the cruise ctrl switched on this does indeed remove total miles from the display. Only soloution is to disable the cruise.

As for the auto lock i had to have this done by VW on my mk5 GTTDI i haven't looked too deeply into the menus yet to see if it can be done on my mk6. Having said that i don't think i had a highline menu on my mk5.

Pressing the key fob a hundred times to get all the doors to unlock is a proper pain in the backside tho' specially if you have unexpected passengers following behind so have only unlocked one door it seems no matter how many times i press the button after unlocking one door the others simply won't open - cue unlock button on drivers door!!

JoseSpring
29-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Pressing the key fob a hundred times to get all the doors to unlock is a proper pain in the backside tho' specially if you have unexpected passengers following behind so have only unlocked one door it seems no matter how many times i press the button after unlocking one door the others simply won't open - cue unlock button on drivers door!!

Seems a very common problem. Does anyone NOT have this issue when trying to unlock multiple doors? If so, what's the trick, other than disabling the multi-lock function completely?

psmith98752
29-07-2009, 05:53 PM
My friend has a MK6 golf and I know its one press for the drivers door, 2 presses for every door.

elidag
29-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Am I missing something here. If you go into the setup menu then select following options
- Convenience
- Door open
- Manual
- The select All doors as the option

This can be setup differently for each of the keys so if your better half would prefer that only driver door opens then you can still have all doors open. I currently use it with all doors open on a single press.

get in touch if you have any probs

Early-1800
29-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Yes it's a pain. The trick seems to be leave a pause before pressing for the second time. After coming from a Ford were you just press it twice and it works its a bit frustrating pressing the VW fob twice, yanking at the door and nearly dislocating your shoulder.

elidag
29-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Am I the only one who only presses the fob once to open all doors. As I said in previous post just set it up in the convenience menu.

JoseSpring
29-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Hey Elidag,
Thanks for the clarification. I *think* most people know about that option. But the safety benefits of only opening the driver's door when you press the button for the 1st time should not be ignored. One of these days it may save you from a sticky situation.
The issue is that when you're using this option the timing needs to be spot-on to unlock the other doors with a 2nd click. Not something that should be as tricky as it currently is.

psmith98752
29-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Am I the only one who only presses the fob once to open all doors. As I said in previous post just set it up in the convenience menu.

The reason people are not doing this is because they do not have the option. Most cars come with a Midline display. You can only adjust these options on a Highline display, otherwise its a trip to the dealer.

HHGTTG
30-07-2009, 08:41 AM
I have always had one door opening on my 'old' Golf and will keep it on my new one. It's no hassle to press the key fob button once more to get all other doors open!

Foxtrot Oscar
30-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Hey Elidag,
Thanks for the clarification. I *think* most people know about that option. But the safety benefits of only opening the driver's door when you press the button for the 1st time should not be ignored. One of these days it may save you from a sticky situation.
The issue is that when you're using this option the timing needs to be spot-on to unlock the other doors with a 2nd click. Not something that should be as tricky as it currently is.

Do you mean the situation whereby you're racing back to your car to escape a mugger or something and unlock all doors, allowing someone entry through another door? Because if so it's likely that someone chasing you will be attempting to enter the same door and once you're in the driver's seat, you still have to deadlock the vehicle from the inside to lock the driver's door.

If you meant that when you start driving and then stop at some traffic lights, your passenger door will now be open and someone can steal something from or enter the vehicle via the front passenger section, then you simply have to enable autolock via highline (not sure if midline allows this). The boot locks itself over 7km/h irrespective of other settings as far as I remember.

Personally now that I know that the 'unlock all doors with one click' option can be altered via highline (thanks elidag, haven't got round to fully reading my manual yet), I will be changing it to unlock all doors tonight. I agree with HHGTTG that it's not much hassle to press the unlock button twice instead of once, by why press it twice when you can press it once?

JoseSpring
30-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Do you mean the situation whereby you're racing back to your car to escape a mugger or something and unlock all doors, allowing someone entry through another door? Because if so it's likely that someone chasing you will be attempting to enter the same door and once you're in the driver's seat, you still have to deadlock the vehicle from the inside to lock the driver's door.

Hmmmm. Not really. I meant the situation where you walk back to you car late at night, and there been a small gang of miscreants following you. You hit the remote to jump in the driver's seat, start the engine and drive off fast, only you didn't like pressing the button a 2nd time when you had passengers, so you've set it to one click opens all doors, and now you've also opened the passenger's door and back doors, and you have a car full of knife-totting young hooligans to contend with. Not a pleasant situation, but one that would have been avoided if you had been happy to press the remote twice to unlock additional the doors (and had that feature worked properly!). Big price to pay? I think that's up to how the individual rates the risk of this kind of thing happening. But for some who live or regularly go to large cities, I can understand the reassurance offered by this feature.

HHGTTG
30-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Hmmmm. Not really. I meant the situation where you walk back to you car late at night, and there been a small gang of miscreants following you. You hit the remote to jump in the driver's seat, start the engine and drive off fast, only you didn't like pressing the button a 2nd time when you had passengers, so you've set it to one click opens all doors, and now you've also opened the passenger's door and back doors, and you have a car full of knife-totting young hooligans to contend with. Not a pleasant situation, but one that would have been avoided if you had been happy to press the remote twice to unlock additional the doors (and had that feature worked properly!). Big price to pay? I think that's up to how the individual rates the risk of this kind of thing happening. But for some who live or regularly go to large cities, I can understand the reassurance offered by this feature.
I occasionally fall foul of my preferred action i.e. driver's door only opening but I'd much rather have it this way. Otherwise if I have a passenger then it is just a matter of two simple presses on the key fob button to unlock the rest of the car.
I think that one can over discuss a problem that does not really exist - I'm as quilty of doing this as anyone else, here!

paul.mgrath
30-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Did anybody watch Trevor McDonald on Tuesday?? The most commonly stolen car in Manchester is the Golf GTi. Havin said that he insinuated a 2.0 GTTDI was a GTI so maybe its mk5/6 sporty lookin' golfs!!!!! Great with my history of cars!:aargh4:

I think whats gettin people down re the doors unlocking/not unlockin is on the mk 5 you pressed the fob twice to unlock everythin dead easy worked every time yet on the mk6 you have to press it 3 times at least. However if you unlock one door and then decide you want the rest openin you get advanced arthritus of the thumb.

Now then.... we won't talk about how many times you have to press the boot unlock button:biglaugh:.

HHGTTG
30-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Did anybody watch Trevor McDonald on Tuesday?? The most commonly stolen car in Manchester is the Golf GTi. Havin said that he insinuated a 2.0 GTTDI was a GTI so maybe its mk5/6 sporty lookin' golfs!!!!! Great with my history of cars!:aargh4:

I think whats gettin people down re the doors unlocking/not unlockin is on the mk 5 you pressed the fob twice to unlock everythin dead easy worked every time yet on the mk6 you have to press it 3 times at least. However if you unlock one door and then decide you want the rest openin you get advanced arthritus of the thumb.

Now then.... we won't talk about how many times you have to press the boot unlock button:biglaugh:.
With respect you're confusing me and yourself maybe. My new MK6 opens exactly in the same way as my MK 5 did.
If I am the only person in the car I approach the car and press the remote ONCE. If someone is with me then I press the remote TWICE. If, for some reason I press it ONCE and then realise I need acces to, say, the rear seats or the boot I press the remote TWICE again.

paul.mgrath
30-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Confused...I'm more than confused:D

I'm sure mines different than that but i don't drive it very often (twice a week maybe). The main thing is its doing its job and not letting the little scallies in!!!!!!
Perhaps i'm not holding my tongue right when i do it. :beerchug:

Foxtrot Oscar
30-07-2009, 08:30 PM
I've just changed the locking system to one click unlocks everything on my car. Prior to this, the keyfob required three clicks in order to open the rear passenger doors.

Are we all talking about 5 doors here, as therein lies some potential for confusion I think.

paul.mgrath
02-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Did somebody post a while back that they had a blemish on their paintwork?? I just had the t-cut out on mine (flaming kids with zips on coats and have found what looks like a piece of grit under the paint adjacent the filler cap.

Gonna mention it to VW as obvious its a manufacture issue just in case it gets worse but i dont wanna have the rear quarter sprayed or anything like that cos if its not a really good match its gonna look like its had a smack.

Crasher
02-08-2009, 07:41 PM
I have been around the Wolfsburg factory a few times and you should see how much paint rectification that goes on. Literally sanding and buffing and blowing in of big areas using newspaper as masking-on the main production line! I still have visions of a bloke up through the sunroof of a Golf one foot on each front leather seat (uncovered) blowing in a fault just in front of the sunroof opening.

james_tiger_woo
02-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Isn't T-Cut actually bad for paintwork? .....

Crasher
02-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Depends on how it is used, if the fault is grit, T-Cut will reduce the height of the paint and leave the grit as it was, making it worse. I would have it inspected before doing anything.

paul.mgrath
03-08-2009, 08:45 PM
No No people.

The T-cut was out because a friend of mines child got her YKK zip and rubbed it up and down my rear door. :aargh4:

Whilst sorting this i noticed the blemish. I have left it alone.

It is unoticeable (unless your nose is a few inches from it) but still its a blemish under the paint. I am not going to touch it as i think if its messed with the paint will chip off (its like a spot with a head) but really small

Up until recently i was applying t-cut incorrectly I was applying it dry and couldn't get it to work properly. Apparently you have to apply with a damp cloth in an x pattern across the scratch (to move the paint), leave alone to dry then buff. May need to do this a few times as i did. Also need to make sure if car mettalic that metallic t-cut used as the normal one is too harsh and will damage the paint.

paul.mgrath
03-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Got another one.

The steering wheel controls won't work the stereo with the keys out (i.e. when cleaning out etc).

I also need the volume button looking at 12 O'clock, watch bezel at 12 and telephone lead in office untwisted etc!!

So when its bein cleaned this is the button thats always used. I find 5 O'clock is generally the preffered woman position:Blush2:

vdubdave
13-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I need to know if anyone else has a problem getting a comfortable seating position on the driver side. I don't have a back problem so why should I find it uncomfortable. Love the car though 2.0 TDI SE.

psmith98752
13-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I need to know if anyone else has a problem getting a comfortable seating position on the driver side. I don't have a back problem so why should I find it uncomfortable. Love the car though 2.0 TDI SE.

Well my friend who has had the Golf SE for a few months keeps complaining about not being able to get comfortable and has had a sore back/arms because of it.

Think its probably because there are too many things you can adjust on it.

Gaffa
13-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Didnt want to create a new thread. Just wanted to know if the new golf gt's come with a sliding front centre arm rest? Many thanks

paul.mgrath
13-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Indeed it does

nokiauk
13-08-2009, 06:41 PM
yes they do, mine does anyway adjusts back a& forward and angle up & down also

VictorPapa
14-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Pity though that you have to raise it all the way up before you can put it completely down.

james_tiger_woo
14-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Does it? I'm sure mine only goes up & down.....

james_tiger_woo
14-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Another - no front foglight notification (apart from craning my head down to the headlight switch....)

HHGTTG
14-08-2009, 03:27 PM
To date, my biggest gripe about the MK6, in the model I have, is that the suspension seems firmer and more fidgety and less forgiving of our appalling road surfaces. This may be due to the suspension components being new, or a simplified and cheaper rear mulitlink suspension although I suspect a major part may be due to those wretched lower profile tyres of 16" wheels.
Why on earth do they compromise ride comfort in this way?

Alabama978
14-08-2009, 03:38 PM
My guess is that the German designers have no idea of how bad the roads are in UK. Potholes and uneven surfaces are not normal in Germany, at least for a high percentage of miles which are driven on the Autobahn, hence the firmer ride. I had considered buying a BMW 118d Sport on offer a few months ago and went back to the Golf after finding the 1 Series Sport uncomfortably harsh to drive on UK roads.

HHGTTG
14-08-2009, 05:20 PM
My guess is that the German designers have no idea of how bad the roads are in UK. Potholes and uneven surfaces are not normal in Germany, at least for a high percentage of miles which are driven on the Autobahn, hence the firmer ride. I had considered buying a BMW 118d Sport on offer a few months ago and went back to the Golf after finding the 1 Series Sport uncomfortably harsh to drive on UK roads.
It's a shame that the ride does seem less compliant and forgiving compared to my MK 5 Golf fitted with 195/65 tyres on 15" wheel, IIRC.

p3asa
14-08-2009, 11:49 PM
I think it is horses for courses as loads of folk are saying the suspension is a lot more forgiving on the 6 than the 5!!

HHGTTG
15-08-2009, 05:43 AM
I think it is horses for courses as loads of folk are saying the suspension is a lot more forgiving on the 6 than the 5!!
Where are they saying that. Show me the evidence!

Nightowl4933
16-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Did somebody post a while back that they had a blemish on their paintwork?? I just had the t-cut out on mine (flaming kids with zips on coats and have found what looks like a piece of grit under the paint adjacent the filler cap.

Gonna mention it to VW as obvious its a manufacture issue just in case it gets worse but i dont wanna have the rear quarter sprayed or anything like that cos if its not a really good match its gonna look like its had a smack.

I had a blemish on mine (the drivers side A post) and took it back to Bristol. They sent me to their bodyshop there and then, and a very nice man used an ultra-fine abrasive pad and then polished it out.

Apparently VW allow for paint imperfections, but will only resolve those above the door flare as it's within sight. He also said it's very common on VW's :(

james_tiger_woo
16-08-2009, 07:19 PM
As surreal as it is - and this is by no means something serious that bugs me as I know that this is a "marmite" issue: I'm actually disliking the handbrake - I've come from a Passat and the electronic handbrake frees up a surprising amount of room and allows for a better and more ergonomic centre console.

***Waits to receive the kicking from those who hate the 'leccy handbrake***

james_tiger_woo
16-08-2009, 07:22 PM
One more:

The cupholder is actually the worst designed piece of crap I've ever had the misfortune to use - The "bottle opener" divider is a complete waste of space and time as it can only really secure one "cup". And when you're not using it - it doesn't sit very well in the holder slot and is pretty intrusive.

***Waits to be slapped for complaining about storage again :) ***

HHGTTG
16-08-2009, 08:14 PM
As surreal as it is - and this is by no means something serious that bugs me as I know that this is a "marmite" issue: I'm actually disliking the handbrake - I've come from a Passat and the electronic handbrake frees up a surprising amount of room and allows for a better and more ergonomic centre console.

Oh, dear! Any credibility you had, as far as I was concerned, has been completely dissipated, now that you show a preference for those dreadful electronic devices.
However you have redeemed yourself, somewhat, as I agree about the lack of storage for the occasional cup of coffee, milk or whatever.

james_tiger_woo
16-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Oh, dear! Any credibility you had, as far as I was concerned, has been completely dissipated, now that you show a preference for those dreadful electronic devices.
However you have redeemed yourself, somewhat, as I agree about the lack of storage for the occasional cup of coffee, milk or whatever.

Strewth! I've lost credibility....

I had the Passat for 35k so I got a lot of use out of the leccy brake and got used to it and grew, shockingly, to like it....

VW clearly have made a "cupholder" available but it's **** poor.

Alabama978
16-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Probably built to hold a "Euro" cup as dictated by the loonies in Brussels :p

p3asa
24-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Where are they saying that. Show me the evidence!

Sorry for the delay, I knew I had seen the evidence somewhere
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxtcVek7Ees

Very subjective but I've seen quite a few comments reporting similar but have also seen quite a few saying the ride is just as bad.

iallen1@btinter
24-08-2009, 10:31 PM
i cant get the cupholders to open in the rear, the reflection from wing mirrors is bad, sunglasses holder too small, and the dot on the leccy mirror knob doesnt line up with the symbol for the heated wing mirrors, when required

Alabama978
24-08-2009, 11:15 PM
I agree about the wing mirror reflections. I picked up my new 1.6 tdi SE this afternoon and after 130 miles I am pretty impressed but why oh why did they insist on chrome trim around the window vents! As you look at each wing mirror the air vents are reflect in the window glass with the wing mirror directly behind. Maybe I'll tune it out after a few days but at the moment with the sun shining it's distracting.

One nice feature though is the amber LED in the wing mirrors to remind you you have left your indicator on because you can't hear it due to heavy rock music blasting out!

bassmandan
24-08-2009, 11:35 PM

I'm all for electric parking brakes, however, my dad recently had a real problem in his passat where he parked up, put it on and went into a shop. When he came out he had 20 minutes to get to where he needed to be, and that brake WOULD NOT release. And there was no way the car was going anywhere with it on. At least with a normal brake it's less likely to just not work, and if it does get stuck on you can usually still drive the car :D

james_tiger_woo
25-08-2009, 08:31 AM
I like the space it frees up in the centre console - I'd like to see some kind of manual override for it though. Perhaps some lever or something under the spare wheel so it can't get caught by accident?

Personally, I like the idea of coupling the Honda Civic's "gearstick on the dash" and an electronic handbrake - I wonder how much neater that'd make a car interior.

On the other comment of gripes - the reflection of the chrome surrounds of the vents bugs me too...

HHGTTG
25-08-2009, 08:45 AM
I agree about the wing mirror reflections. I picked up my new 1.6 tdi SE this afternoon and after 130 miles I am pretty impressed but why oh why did they insist on chrome trim around the window vents! As you look at each wing mirror the air vents are reflect in the window glass with the wing mirror directly behind. Maybe I'll tune it out after a few days but at the moment with the sun shining it's distracting.

One nice feature though is the amber LED in the wing mirrors to remind you you have left your indicator on because you can't hear it due to heavy rock music blasting out!
Oh God, you're not one of those, are you who insists on demonstrating your poor taste in music to all and sundry around you, with your terrrible throbbing bass 'music' ?
You have just gone down in my estimation.

james_tiger_woo
25-08-2009, 08:50 AM
One shouldn't be playing "heavy rock music", one should be listening to Terry Wogan, "PM", "Just a minute" or "The now show"

Anything else is just noise :D

:beerchug:

Ok, ok, so I actually listen to Green Day, but I don't blast it out - and certainly not loud with the windows open

Alabama978
25-08-2009, 02:04 PM
No I am not one of the boom box in the boot brigade with premature deafness, but I do like clasic rock stuff and everything from classical to folk music.

Music is music depending on what your tastes are :banana:

GTDinWGC
25-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Irritants:

1) Making me pay extra for cruise control on a GTD, and yet having it standard on the GT. No way should a £20k car not have cruise as standard

2) Rubbish range of standard colours

3) No alternative cloth options at GTD spec - the only interior cloth is Jacara mono, which is pretty awful. I'd rather have the GT cloth, but it's not possible...

4) The cost of the leather option. Crazy - Audi will put leather on an A3 for half what VW want. Yes, I know that the A3 already costs too much...but the cost of leather on the Golf is bonkers.

Dave B
25-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Irritants:

1) Making me pay extra for cruise control on a GTD, and yet having it standard on the GT. No way should a £20k car not have cruise as standard

2) Rubbish range of standard colours

3) No alternative cloth options at GTD spec - the only interior cloth is Jacara mono, which is pretty awful. I'd rather have the GT cloth, but it's not possible...

4) The cost of the leather option. Crazy - Audi will put leather on an A3 for half what VW want. Yes, I know that the A3 already costs too much...but the cost of leather on the Golf is bonkers.

Sounds like "The Peoples Car" is no more

onzarob
26-08-2009, 09:15 AM

That happen ages ago...I suppose the standard features of a car are now only defined by Accountants and Marketing trying to differentiate between Badge only Marques :(

james_tiger_woo
26-08-2009, 01:26 PM

It is "the peoples car" - but only if you're a certain person....

blade4life1889
27-08-2009, 11:34 AM
I've had my Mk6 GTi for 4 weeks now and covered 3700 miles and would comments as follows;

Economy - No where near the claimed average of 38.7. of the 3700 miles I've done I would guess 75% of that is motorway at around 80mph.
It's nearer 35mpg average. Having said that, who cares

Parking sensors - Absolute waste of time. The sensors show the full red-bar (i.e. contact) at about 4 feet from any object (including kerbs). If I use them to park up in a normal parking spot, the end of the car is usually stuck out! Real shame as this was one of the extras I really wanted.

Storage - As previously mentioned, glove-box is good for a spare pair of undies and that's about it. Centre console fits a small packet if tissues. The sunglasses holder in the headlining causes particular amusement - I have tried many pairs of glasses of all styles and none of them fit in it!

Cruise - Love it but can't believe it was an extra on a car like this.

Headlamp washers (part of winter pack I think) - Again, apart from amusing your mates, a complete waste of time (or rather money).
In fact when I just want to wash the windscreen without squirting soapy water all over the wings of the car, I actually have to turn the lights off!

Having said all that, the car is an absolute pleasure to drive and I love it.

If I was making my order today however I would be saving on sensors, winter-pack, and lux pack for sure and possibly the 'Dynaudio' which is good but not great.

kaboom1
27-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Pearl Black Paint - bit of a nightmare to keep looking clean, my own fault for choosing the colour.

Really annoying Rattling above 25mph in passengers windscreen pillar that its going back on tuesday to have sorted.

No indication on dashboard of whether lights are on or not.

Central locking not opening all doors at the same time and requiring multiple key presses. sorted now from the convienence menu ;-)

The menu system on the radio when using a mp3 player generally sucks a bit and also the mutlifunction steering wheel not being able to browse the tracks only forward/back and volume up down.

However it is a pleasure to drive and looks really good when clean.

nokiauk
27-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Really annoying Rattling above 25mph in passengers windscreen pillar that its going back on tuesday to have sorted.

No indication on dashboard of whether lights are on or not.

The menu system on the radio when using a mp3 player generally sucks a bit and also the mutlifunction steering wheel not being able to browse the tracks only forward/back and volume up down.

1. I have this too, doesn't bother me too much, if I get it fixed no doubt something else will rattle, car is getting sold in a month or so time anyway.

2. The light comes on at the dial to show headlights are on.

3. Good reason to upgrade to the RCD-510 as it's navigation is fine.

james_tiger_woo
27-08-2009, 07:12 PM
2. The light comes on at the dial to show headlights are on.

Which you have to look down to the right - looking away from the road - to see....

nokiauk
27-08-2009, 07:13 PM
not any worse than a quick look at the stereo or rear view mirror

james_tiger_woo
27-08-2009, 07:16 PM
not any worse than a quick look at the stereo or rear view mirror

True, but every other car I've had, in the past, has had a dashboard light to say that the lights are on.

p3asa
27-08-2009, 07:42 PM
But with DRL's they are always on. :)

HHGTTG
27-08-2009, 08:11 PM
But with DRL's they are always on. :)
Am I being too simplistic. The DRL's are always on. When the Headlights come on (DRLs go out?) AND the instument lighting goes dim and the the radio, if on, lights up as well. No need to gaze down and right at the light's switch.

dotaz
27-08-2009, 08:52 PM

please keep us informed what the problem was when its fixed this seems to be the issue with many golf mark 6 !
thanks !!

onzarob
27-08-2009, 09:07 PM
True, but every other car I've had, in the past, has had a dashboard light to say that the lights are on.

the MK5 is the same, no dash lamp. just the dial in the corner.;)

james_tiger_woo
27-08-2009, 09:51 PM
the MK5 is the same, no dash lamp. just the dial in the corner.;)

The Passat has a dash indicator

Am I being too simplistic. The DRL's are always on. When the Headlights come on (DRLs go out?) AND the instument lighting goes dim and the the radio, if on, lights up as well. No need to gaze down and right at the light's switch.

I've not noticed the dash lighting going dim - And I've a non-OEM stereo which doesn't go dim.

Picky - that's me :)

onzarob
27-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Picky - that's me :)

Yep :p to be honest if you have auto lights why does it matter :confused:

james_tiger_woo
28-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Yep :p to be honest if you have auto lights why does it matter :confused:

Excellent point - however - Auto lights don't always come on when you might want them on:

Dawn (I drive to work with the sun behind me), dusk (I drive home with the sun ahead of me), fog and rain. Sometimes these conditions don't trigger the lights....

HHGTTG
28-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Excellent point - however - Auto lights don't always come on when you might want them on:

Dawn (I drive to work with the sun behind me), dusk (I drive home with the sun ahead of me), fog and rain. Sometimes these conditions don't trigger the lights....
Recently, in the early evening, around 7-30pm (not now so much as it's getting dark) my headlights come on but then I turn them off until such time as I think fit. After all the DRLs are on so I don't feel quilty.

onzarob
28-08-2009, 11:55 AM

Hold on James You drive to work in the morning with the sun behind you...eg your driving West. In the evening you drive with the sun infront of you.....your driving West? Do you take the round the world trip home? :P

The thing that annoys me most about the auto lights is they never come on early enough, ie Dusk so I switch them on...but as HHGTTG says you've got DRL's so not such a problem ;)

james_tiger_woo
28-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Hold on James You drive to work in the morning with the sun behind you...eg your driving West. In the evening you drive with the sun infront of you.....your driving West? Do you take the round the world trip home? :P

The thing that annoys me most about the auto lights is they never come on early enough, ie Dusk so I switch them on...but as HHGTTG says you've got DRL's so not such a problem ;)

Ahem, oops - :)

Obviously the sun is behind me in both cases :biglaugh:

DRLs are all well and good and at dusk/dawn it's fine - but when it rains and it's bright or it's foggy, there's no illumination at the back....

james_tiger_woo
28-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Another - You don't get a "low washer fluid" warning light either - unless you spec the winter pack :(

Incidentally, is there an option - or is there a car out there (not necessarily a VW) that has a "low oil" warning option - and not just low oil pressure....

ralferoo
28-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Incidentally, is there an option - or is there a car out there (not necessarily a VW) that has a "low oil" warning option - and not just low oil pressure....This is a bugbear of mine. I discovered to my cost that the oil light comes on only when it's too late to avoid damage...

By the time the light came on on my current car, the oil pressure switch had started leaking and I was worried the head gasket seal had gone. Fortunately, a few months after replacing the pressure switch the emulsification of the oil had gone, but the primary reason for even looking at a new car was that I'd spent over a grand in a couple of months and didn't fancy forking out another few hundred quid to get the head gasket seal replaced.

Moral of the story - check your oil levels regularly.

ptolemy
28-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Another - You don't get a "low washer fluid" warning light either - unless you spec the winter pack :(

Incidentally, is there an option - or is there a car out there (not necessarily a VW) that has a "low oil" warning option - and not just low oil pressure....

I'm pretty sure that some years ago an oil level indicator was fitted to some Renaults. Maybe it still is but I haven't driven one recently to know???

Blackthorn
28-08-2009, 08:19 PM
I guess it's pretty imposible to measure oil level while the engine's running, so it would have to be something that warned you when the ignition was turned on.
I had a Ford Granada from the early 80's which was supposed to do precisely that - the sensor was built in to the dipstick with the wiring for it coming out the top of the dipstick to join the loom. This of course meant that it was a right fiddle to get the dipstick out yourself as it was attached to the car, and the movement of doing this kept breaking the wires!
My current CLK doesn't have a dipstick - you have to check oil levels through one of the menu options. The engine has to be off and the car level. If it finds low level I think it tells you how much to add, although I've never actually needed to do that.

onzarob
28-08-2009, 09:20 PM
The Mk5 does tell you the oil level is low, so I assume the MK6 does to...TBH though you should check your oil once a week. all these gadgets make us lazy........

....now back to the OP MK6 bugs only please ;)