PDA

View Full Version : No Acceleration and jerky when it does accelerate!

michelle
09-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Hi there wondering if anyone can help, I am at my wits end with this car!!

Model: A3 1.6 1997 (R)

Symptoms: Slow to accelerate (revs are increasing but speed is not!!) and is jerky when pulling off in 1st gear, also happens sometimes when accelerating through 2nd and 3rd gear. There is `gunk` in the oil cap but water level seems to be stable.

In the past I have had similar problems and gone on to find `gunk` in the oil cap and very slight loss of coolant which pointed to problems with the head gasket. This has happened on 2 occasions, the second time the garage believed that the water pump had gone therefore the engine had overheated and caused head gasket to blow. I had a new water pump fitted and the head skimmed and a new head set fitted.
This problem has now come back (only about 6 months after it was repaired) with the (same) problems as decsribed above.
I am dreading that it is the head gasket again...and if it is why does it keep blowning?
I don`t drive it like an idiot so am really annoyed that it keeps doing this and costing me a fortune.
Anyone had similar problems or can give me some advice?

northern bloke
02-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Hi,

Thought this link may be of help, it does suggest a problem with the Air Mass Meter in it. Hope this gives you something.

http://www.usedcarexpert.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=2724&strPageHistory=cat

henners38
07-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Hi, I did try to look at the link but it doesnt seem to work.
I would say that your first point of call would be the MAF(air flow) sensor located on the top of the air filter. Check thats its plugged in correctly and if so then it may need replacing.

faz112
07-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Hi there wondering if anyone can help, I am at my wits end with this car!!

Model: A3 1.6 1997 (R)

Symptoms: Slow to accelerate (revs are increasing but speed is not!!) and is jerky when pulling off in 1st gear, also happens sometimes when accelerating through 2nd and 3rd gear. There is `gunk` in the oil cap but water level seems to be stable.

In the past I have had similar problems and gone on to find `gunk` in the oil cap and very slight loss of coolant which pointed to problems with the head gasket. This has happened on 2 occasions, the second time the garage believed that the water pump had gone therefore the engine had overheated and caused head gasket to blow. I had a new water pump fitted and the head skimmed and a new head set fitted.
This problem has now come back (only about 6 months after it was repaired) with the (same) problems as decsribed above.
I am dreading that it is the head gasket again...and if it is why does it keep blowning?
I don`t drive it like an idiot so am really annoyed that it keeps doing this and costing me a fortune.
Anyone had similar problems or can give me some advice?

how much did it cost u to fix head gasket first time.. im gettin similar problems but its due to car overheating

zollaf
07-12-2009, 07:42 PM
guys, look in the top left hand corner of the first post. you will see its nearly 4 years old.:biglaugh:

faz112
07-12-2009, 07:58 PM
lol just realised now