PDA

View Full Version : Question How to change HID ( D1S ) lightbulb

airport21
06-05-2009, 03:31 PM
One of the lightbulb (Bi-xenon)on my 06 passat is not working, I got a pair of Philips HID D1S lightbulds from local hardware shop. When i got home and opened the engine compartment, I got no idea how to change them, can someone help??? I've been searching WWW for 3 days, still can't find anything.

jonsey24
06-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Im assuming you mean the bulb that is located behind the glass ball lense? you have to remove the waterproof rubber cap that covers the back of the light unit then reach in with your hand, depending on what year you car was made depends on what type of bulb fitment you have.
On my 55 plate my bulbs literally pulled out along with the housing, on some of the later models you have to grab the bulb housing and twist it a quarter turn to loosen it and remove from the back of the housing.
Bulb should pull out of housing and push new bulb back in and reverse the above procedure.

Im assuming your bulbs are H7 fitment?

airport21
07-05-2009, 02:34 AM
I tried to pull out the wire retainer, but there is no space to remove the back cover. Because the Windscreen washer is right behind it. max 1" gap.

jonsey24
07-05-2009, 09:27 PM
You can do it but best to have someone to hand with small hands, my hands are like shovels but i managed to get them into the back of the light housing i just couldnt get any purchase to remove the bulb harness, my hands were cut and shread to ribbons at the end

airport21
08-05-2009, 08:56 AM
ok, tks for you advice.

torcar
08-05-2009, 09:48 AM
My local dealer tells me that I have to remove the front bumper and take the entire lamphousing out of the car to change the D1S's. Can anyone confirm or share experience?

jonsey24
08-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Yes the housing can only be removed when the bumper is off cause there are some screws hidden behind it, in an ideal world you would remove the light housing and make life easy but would that be worth all the aggro

torcar
08-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Does that mean that its possible to change bulbs without removing the bumper and the housing? (Like in the old days;)

airport21
13-05-2009, 02:05 PM
ok, i had it done. i spend almost the whole afternoon to replace a D1S light bulb. because i needed to remove the whole bumper then headlight unit to get the job done. worst than the old day.

ravanoli
13-12-2009, 01:05 PM
There must be a easy way:confused: I need to replace my parking light o/s. but cant get any leverage to get the rubber cap off. Can you do it if you take the cover out on the wheel arch?