PDA

View Full Version : Trouble opening MKV bonnet

kevd
06-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Can anyone help me open my bonnet on a MKV Golf. I pulled the release handle but the bonnet does not lift. I have removed the trim around the release handle to ensure the cable is being pulled correctly & all looks ok inside the car. There is not as much resistance when you pull the handle so possibly cable has snapped/come off the lock or come adrift where it joins near headlight. Whatever I cannot get the bonnet open to have a look. Any ideas?

manc
07-05-2009, 11:32 AM
I couldn't find another way to get at the catch - and I tried removing the undertray and opened the junction box of the two cables from below first.

The trouble is, the catch is inaccessible from the back and buried in plastic at the front so you might try the post How to open a Mk5 Golf bonnet with a broken cable (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=68765)

Manc

kevd
07-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks Manc. I will have another go from the front, through the grill. I could only see one 10mm bolt which looked like it was a mounting bolt for the lock. I noticed there was a torx bolt behind a plastic cap in the grill very close to the bonnet catch. Is this a mounting bolt also? I also removed the under tray but this did not help

Paul_mkV_golf
08-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Can anyone help me open my bonnet on a MKV Golf. I pulled the release handle but the bonnet does not lift. I have removed the trim around the release handle to ensure the cable is being pulled correctly & all looks ok inside the car. There is not as much resistance when you pull the handle so possibly cable has snapped/come off the lock or come adrift where it joins near headlight. Whatever I cannot get the bonnet open to have a look. Any ideas?

I had this exact same problem last year. Keep pulling/releasing the release lever whilst at the same time have some one apply firm pressure to front of bonnet above the catch with palms of their hands (bouncing up and down motion)... eventually the bonnet should release and you can pop it open. Just the release mechanism seizing up- give it a good blast of wd40 and should be ok...

Paul

rissa422
11-05-2009, 10:02 PM
on my us gti the cable is two sections. there is plastic junction mounted on the rad support on the drivers side. this is where you discounect the cable so the front may be removed. If yours is also this way it would be a good place to check. how to reach it with the hood closed, idk, but it may be easier than removeing the latch. Just a thought.

RickT
11-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Search this section for the word "bonnet"..

I posted a thread about this.

Rick