PDA

View Full Version : Golf gti 06 plate, should i use super unleaded?

boycey19690
06-05-2009, 12:37 AM
I have just bought a 06 golf gti from a vw dealer, i have only had it for 5 days and have been filling it up with normal unleaded.I have since been told by friends in work that i should be using super unleaded.Is this true and if yes could it have done any damage to my car.Im suprised that the dealer didnt mention this to me if this is the case.If i should be using super unlead should i top up my tank with it, i am about half full at the moment with normal unleaded.
Any information on this would be much appreciated.
Thanks

shaft-50
06-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Hi mate, your golf should have a sticker inside the fuel cap telling you that it needs be fed with unleaded fuel of 95 octane and more. I think generally standard unleaded is at 95 octanes and the super-unleaded ranges from between 97-99 octane.
Super unleaded I have found is better as it cares for your engine and burns better giving slightly more mpg. I also have a golf gti and have been using super in it since new barr a few tank fulls when super has been out of stock. I have tried V-Power and the likes and still find that Tesco's super-unleaded which is 99 octane is by far the better. Even my Aston Martin DB9 appreciated Tesco's Super-Unleaded rather than Shells V-Power !!!

Hope this helps.

boycey19690
06-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Hi Mate, Thats a great help, i was a little concerned that it may do the engine damage by running on unleaded.I have since been in touch with my Vw dealer, and they have confirmed that normal unlead wont damage the car but the car will perform better on super and i may get more mpg but it obviously costs a little more so the choice is mine.Next fill up i will try super unleaded and see how its goes.
Thanks for your help

onzarob
06-05-2009, 12:03 PM
It all unleaded it just the octane level. The crazy thing is your car will do more MPG with super unleaded...higher octane petrol....But the Government tax it higher...Green Tax my aŁ$e..:aargh4:

Crasher
06-05-2009, 01:30 PM
The higher the octane, the slower the burn. It always makes me laugh when I see “High Octane” being used in advertisements for all sorts of things with the inference on hotter, faster etc.

onzarob
06-05-2009, 02:40 PM
The higher the octane, the slower the burn.

But its a better burn?

shaft-50
06-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Higher octane is good but like we know its not cheap as cost a fair but more per litre than the normal stuff. Give it a try and see how you get one. Either way you wont damage your car/engine ;)

boycey19690
06-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks for all the feedback its been a great help.Im just glad to know that you wont do any damage by using normal unleaded because i have been running a few days on it and the cars running lovely.I will try super unleaded next time i run low and see how it goes.
Thanks

Crasher
06-05-2009, 05:32 PM
But its a better burn?

Not necessarily. The slower more controlled burn allows the use of higher compression/cylinder pressures and more ignition advance before the onset of detonation/pre-ignition and therefore more power can be devloped. A very complex subject though and too deep to go into here.