PDA

View Full Version : AUDI 1.8T COIL PROBLEM?

DavidM
09-01-2006, 04:02 PM
My 1996 50000 mile Audi A4 Avant 1.8T started running rough during my 5 mile journey to work last week. The local repair shop (not an Audi franchise) apparently positively diagnosed No 3 ignition coil failure but replacing the coil has apparently made no difference. Engine still sounds like it's missing or half missing a beat and loss of power.

I suggested disconnecting the battery to re-set the ECU but they say there's still no spark and they think there might be a bad earth. Apparently their dignostic machine doesn't show there is any problems and I fear they are fumbling in the dark.

I have made the earliest booking I could get at my local Audi dealer but if anyone has any ideas or similar experience I'd be most grateful for any suggestions.

Many thanks
David

simon1
23-02-2006, 05:02 AM
david
have you had any succes in sorting car out.as my audi 1.8t has developed the same problems ..... they said nowt wrong last week and charged me £45 TO TURN LIGHT OUT. week later and light on again .very poor performance at 2k rpm hesitant ,,say could be a connection or afm but woud be wiilling to put it throught the shop and look at it.. but how much is that going to cost

DavidM
23-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Simon,
It turned out to be the ignition control unit which apparently takes a few minutes to install but the unit costs about £187 + VAT. Good luck.

SMITHY1971
11-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi ive got a 2003 (52) audi A4 1.8T ive just replaced ignition coil 3 twice in the last 6 weeks
in to audi dealer to sort out problem
did they charge you to fix the issue or was it done as part off the factory recall episode?

Im trying to get them to fix it free of charge as its a know problem need all the ammo i can get

:aargh4: