PDA

View Full Version : A4 brakes HELP!

muffster
05-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Hello fellas,
Just been trying to fit some new rear pads to my 2002 A4 TDI, a straight forward enough job, but for some reason the piston inside the caplier wont wind in fully!! http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/images/vzismilies/mad.gif It wound down so far but not enough to squeeze the new pads in. I tried winding it back out to then go back in but now its stuck right out and just turning but not moving anywhere, so much so i cant fit the old worn pads back in!! ***. Any of youu experts out there know how to slove this one? Thanks in advance,
Muffster.

randall977
05-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Sounds like you've wound it off the internal thread. Don't know why it wouldn't go all the way down - the face of the piston should roughly line up with the inner face of the caliper. I think if I were in your position I would invest in a proper tool to wind the piston back onto the thread.I've done the same thing and I ended up getting another caliper...it was a much older Audi though!

spartacus 68
06-05-2009, 12:09 AM
You need to use a degree of force to get the piston to fully retract. Ideally you need an Audi wind-back tool, but it's possible with a universal brake wind back tool from a local motor-factors. Coupled with a 1/2 ratchet drive and small extension bar should do the trick. I had to cut off two of the pins on the wind back tool with a hacksaw to make it fit. Remember to open the brake fluid reservoir, and top up if required.

Unwind the caliper and start again, applying constant pressure when winding back in. The piston should fully retract in the caliper. Check the condition of the rubber dust sleeves. Not unusual to rip or tear them when completing this type of job.