PDA

View Full Version : 2002 130 passat estate tdi sport - Whats it like?

dig776
05-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Hi
I have at last sold my 02 A4 tdi sport saloon (after 9 weeks and 1 phone call!) and due to a combination of 2 small children, price and a seemingly ever expanding volume of stuff we need to take with us I am going to opt for a passat 1.9tdi sport 02 130 estate.

Just wondered what they are like? If anyone owns/has owned one would appreciate some honest feedback. I guess it won't be anywhere near as sporty as my A4?????

Any views appreciated...................

snapdragon
05-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Dull as ditchwater/utilitarian. Try and get one with as many extras as possible to try and make it seem less mundane. Probably not so different from the A4 underneath with respect to weak spots.

fraser33
06-05-2009, 01:48 PM
I've had the saloon equivalent for just over a year now and have been very impressed. I've not driven an A4 Sport , so can't directly compare it, but I find the 130 Sport plenty sporty enough when required. There's a slight lag when accelerating hard but IMO, once it kicks in, the power is certainly there.

I don't drive mine hard at all, other than when I really have to for very short bursts, and usually get around the 47-50mpg mark overall.

In terms of comfort though, it's much better than a friend's petrol S-line A4 estate. (that's quite a fast car, or at least it is the way he drives it!) There's something about Audi seats though which kill my back - same thing happens in another A3 I'm in quite regularly. :aargh4: The Passat seats are great and I can be in them for several hours and get out the car at the other end feeling fine .

I actually wish I'd gone for the Estate now too - sometimes the saloon boot isn't quite big enough for my requirements!

Izalman
06-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Good Tool.

Mines black with black leather interior and used every day for work traveling NW / Midlands areas. Had mine for 3yrs now other than servicing, CV boot x 2, wiper blades, MAP sensor, 4 tyres, and a timing belt/ water pump, it has been excellent:D.
Couple of niggles - front door locks stiffening up, CD player died:mad:.
Had the water in the n/s foot well syndrome but cleared that off myself.
Generally plenty of grunt when needed, cruises brilliantly 70mph all day and at 55+mpg on the motorway.
Miss cruise contro tho'

grhdylan
06-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Love mine to bits, get one with a few extra's, mine got cruise control, rear parking sensors, front fogs etc, wish i had leather interior though, thinking of getting mine chipped/ remapped, it's quick now, be wicked when chipped ! lol:biglaugh:

dig776
06-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks to all for the replies exactly what I was looking for. You don't get "Dull as ditchwater/utilitarian" in Parkers guide review:-)

I did want an A6 sport avant but the difference in price/mileage for the money doesnt make sense for me as I use the car for work aswell.

Had a look at one in Dorchester (near Oxford) and depite being assured it was in great condtion and specifically asking about the interior it turned out to be a bit of a dog.

Drove great and was pleasantly suprised with how it drove for the first time driving one. Interior was heated leather/alcantara but the alcantara had severely bobbled and the exterior looked like it had never been cleaned. Admittedly these are fairly cosmetic issues but to be honest the overall condition made it look like it had done closer to 185k not 85k!

I reckon I will definately go for one now though given comments above and experience today just need to find a nice one!!!

Cheers all.

paulos130
21-05-2009, 10:35 PM
dull as dishwater?

my 130 tdi sport estate is a 2003, has now done 112k, and is flippin awesome

i cant decide what i like best, the fact that its an all round amazing car, or the fact it cost me 4 grand!

talking to a mate the other day who has lost 20k on his motor in 18 months - and he said "thats cars though isn't it?"

at which point i twitched back the curtains, took a look at my german autowagen and said "mate, if i lose the frickin' car, its only cost me 4 grand!"

one piece of advice - useless without cruise & climatronic

i boot mine around, and still get 47-51 most of the time

happy hunting

dig776
21-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks Paulos130 have to agree there is something very satisfying about getting so much car for £4k!!! (well £4350) and can't imagine losing 20k on a car!!!

Managed to find one near Banbury 94k 1 owner (fleet hire company) full service history with heated half alcantara/leather trim and black interior. Needed a good clean, have done 700 miles in it and touch wood drives very well. I knew the 130 tdi engine was good but seems all the more impressive for the way it moves what is quite a large car.

All in all very very pleased with purchase (as long as I don't see too many A6 avants in a day) and will be great for moving surf boards, kids and camping equipment over summer.

passat938
22-05-2009, 11:52 PM
I'm interested to see you went from an A4 to a Passat!

i'm sort of debating whether to get an Audi A4 or A6 and sell the Passat. But so far a few things have caught me out.

The audis don't always have stuff which i'd expect as standard, some i've looked at don't even have the onboard computer, dimming rear view mirror, leather steering wheel etc stuff i've got in the Passat and would feel like i'm downgrading if I got an audi without it.

If you buy a Passat Sport, you know you get sport suspension, leather gear stick and three spoke steering wheel, sports seats (i HATE the standard passat *shows up every hoover mark* felt seats!) air con, premium sound system with 6 disc changer, electric windows front and back.

But with Audi unless it was all specced at original sale its a minefield of what it has or more to the point doesn't!

I've seen a few Sport audis but they are few and far between.

Also the audi's seem to fetch £1000-£2000 more for in most cases less car than a Passat gives, so am I really paying £2000 for the badge? :aargh4:

In my quest for an A4/A6 which matches the passat i've sort of talked myself back into keeping my passat!

Am I missing something here :confused:

Can I just say as well the Passat sport interior in all black still impresses me everytime I get in the car, i've not seen many nicer interiors. (don't like all the sqaure lines and angles in the new passats and some of the wood effects!)

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr57/coilercat77/3a812e04.jpg
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr57/coilercat77/03d9e8db.jpg

dig776
23-05-2009, 10:01 PM
It was the £1-2k difference that made my mind up in the end. I do really like my passat already the more I drive it the more I like it. I also noticed that the passat sports I looked at were much more likely to have a few extras (cruise, leather, heated seats etc) so that aided the decision.

In terms of Audis I would only ever buy a sport model (as with passat) as I think the standard spec is quite similar to passat sport (except for lack of rear electric windows in the A4, arm rest and dimming mirror as standard).

I guess its just a matter of personal preference I think the A6/A4 in avant form are better looking cars, I prefer the seats, stereos and interiors and they seem to sit a little lower and look a bit more sporty.

Rationally the passat would win every time but I guess car buying isn't a totally rational process:Blush:although this time it was!

passat938
23-05-2009, 11:01 PM
I couldn't believe the rear windows in most Audis i looked at were wind up, i was like :zx11: :aargh4:

is avant just a term for estate?

dig776
23-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Yeah bit cheeky considering 1.9 tdi A4 avant was around £23.5k new!

Yeah avant is just estate probably just trying to make "estate" sound more sporty. BMW touring etc....

andre 2000
11-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Aesthetically its up to you, mechanically they are pretty much the same, so expect the same pleasures [and pains]

Personally I do reckon the Passat is more comfortable [50k miles a year here], at the expense of handling - however if handling was a prime consideration I wouldn't choose these types of car anyway to be fair.

I've always thought the Passat to be quite handsome, if utilitarian, and mine still cut a dash in the car park against new mondeos etc. In the corporate world the Audi has become a bit passe with black A4s filling up the outside lane on every motorway imo.

I suppose you can either have a chip on your shoulder that the VW doesn't have an Audi badge, or a grin on your face that you have paid less for what is largely the same car.

I've climbed the motoring ladder including mercs, beemers and although I feel like I have had what are generally categorised as some "nice" cars I have gradually got more and more bored without realising how bad things had become - I nearly bought an Alfa just to check if I still had a pulse!

I've got rid of the Passat and gone to SEAT to inject some style into the mix. All the kit, half the price.

At the end of the day both cars you are looking at are safe, strong, economical and can do the miles, just look at how many of the previous generations are still giving reliable service.

Sport spec on an Audi generally = some bling trim - shock absorbers + oversize wheels. Oh, sometimes you get an oil pressure gauge which doesn't move - yippee!
Does that make it a sports car? er no.
Just don't think for one minute that the term Sport relates to any kind of competitive motor racing credentials, as F1 cars as far as I know don't have CD multichangers or extra power outlets for DVD players [yet] :beerchug: