PDA

View Full Version : Changing Fuel filter 2003 1.9Tdi

Sidzer
05-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Hi folks.

Need to change a fuel filter - my mechanic is away on hols til nxt week.

I used to change one on a petrol car - simple take off both tubes - remove old filter - replace with new one.... no bleeding involved...:Blush: I used to do all the basic servicing on my petrol. however, hav heard that diesels are much more complicated and best left to the pros......

Do you need to bleed the system of a 2003 a4 1.9 tdi diesel?

What kind of a job is it?????

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated..

Thanks S :confused:

Alan02
05-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Hi Sidzer,its ok to just swop them over and crank the engine for a period of time till it fires,as its self purging.It may take a bit to fire,but let the starter have a rest in between cranks.ts not a big job to do,i`m sure you`ll manage.

benjie
05-05-2009, 07:24 PM
As above, the PD engines are fine, it's the old ones you have to fill with diesel first!

Thogh have fun getting to it as they've (Audi) managed to put the filter in the most awkward place in the 1.9 - loosen the housing before lifting it out!

Sidzer
06-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks Alan and Ben...

Job done and it was surprisingly easy... I'll not be going to a mechanic again to get this job done. Apart from the cost it's the time spent going over to mechanic and being without a car for a few hrs or a day.

I havn't done the oil yet myself but will certainly give it a go the next service - anything to watch out for????

From my previous experience of changing oil in another car it was simply open sump nut and allow oil to drain out - open filter casing and replace with new one - close sump nut - fill up with oil... Again very straight forward. Is it the same in the A4??

:beerchug:

Marco34
07-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Yeah it's a piece of cake on the A4. Just a bummer removing that undertray! :zx11: I usually drain when hot as the oils thinner. The cap for the filter housing can be a pig to remove. I use a rubber strap to undo. I only hand tight with a slight not on the strap. As you say, it's very straight forward.

Nothing out of the ordinary.

benjie
07-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Yeah, as Marco said, the undertray needs to come off think - it's kept in by about 6 bit bolt things that need a screwdriver to undo... not a cross head screwdriver (+), a single on (-)
They have a funny warped thread so only need about 1.5 turns to come out.

JohnyIre
07-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Cause of the undertray it can be well worth getting a vacuum system for the oil. You put it down the dip stick. I know some people may not like them but I'm a big fan. Saves a lot of time.

Marco34
07-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Cause of the undertray it can be well worth getting a vacuum system for the oil. You put it down the dip stick. I know some people may not like them but I'm a big fan. Saves a lot of time.

I'm one of them. Call be old fashioned but I like to get the drain plug out! ;) I

I'm two screw missing for the undertray. I've strategically left them out where not essential!

benjie
07-05-2009, 04:29 PM
I've done both and can understand the merits of either. (Sits on fence!)

Marco34
07-05-2009, 04:30 PM

I'm one of them. Call be old fashioned but I like to get the drain plug out! ;) I

I'm two screw missing for the undertray. I've strategically left them out where not essential!

Sidzer
08-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks folks :beerchug:

Will be giving it a bash in approx 3000 miles......

Prob go for the trad mode

exeoowner
08-03-2016, 07:27 PM
replace screws with cable ties

arman123
08-03-2016, 10:30 PM
I've been doing a full service on my 1.9tdi for the last few years and bought a pela pump for the oil.Change it every year using it and its been great no mess love it taking the tray off is a nightmare unless you can get it up on ramps and even then half the screws are bad last time I had the tray off I secured it with cables ties.