PDA

View Full Version : water pump leak

hoppouk
05-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Hi all,i have a slightly leaking water pump,and when i get it changed il get the cambelt changed aswell. Would it be advisable to get a cambelt kit inc tensioner,and also to have the thermostat replaced aswell.All answers greatfully appreciated.Regards.

paul b
05-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Hi all,i have a slightly leaking water pump,and when i get it changed il get the cambelt changed aswell. Would it be advisable to get a cambelt kit inc tensioner,and also to have the thermostat replaced aswell.All answers greatfully appreciated.Regards.
Yes I would advise you to do so, although I didn't do the thermostat at the last timing belt change on mine.

The (genuine) parts will cost you a couple of hundred £s for the kit without thermostat. The dealer may want your old water pump too for exchange, so keep hold of it.

Peter D
05-05-2009, 03:50 PM
I know what you mean, but a slightly leaking water pump is like being slightly pregnant, it's going to get bigger. However changing stats all depends on the car, model age and mileage, some stats live behind the pump so always change them and test the new one before fitting it, but you do not tell us the important information. Regards Peter

hoppouk
05-05-2009, 04:34 PM
hi there,thanks for your replies,its a 1996 a6 2.6se avant ABC engine,mileage at 99,000.Was informed the belt has been changed at 60,000 but no proof so il get a new water pump fitted as planned.was just unsure as to getting the complete cambelt kit fitted and thermostat.Just to confirm,does the kit come with belt,tensioner and bolts?

Peter D
05-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Yep with that engine I would change the stat for a new but tested one. You do not have to remove the timing belt completely but it is a lot less hassle to change it whilst you are in there but only use a VAG one. Regards Peter

hoppouk
05-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Many thanks to your replies guys,much appreciated.Il book the car in with an indy.theyre a sponsor of the site and did a great job on work i had done before.Il get a new genuine water pump,cambelt kit and stat done.Regards.:beerchug:

hoppouk
19-05-2009, 07:49 PM
phew,had new cambelt,tensioners,rollers,waterpump,stat with seal and aux belt done.I feel a whole lot happier now,price was damn good i thought,if im allowed to,got it done at a sponsor of the site,central audi and vw in birmingham.Brilliant service,highly reccomended.....:D