PDA

View Full Version : SD cards on 510 head unit

maisbitt
05-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Does anyone know what the Scirocco standard audio set-up can read in relation to SD cards? Is it just standard SD cards up to 2Gb, or can it handle the 4Gb and up HCSD cards?

digiman
06-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Hi, I have the same issue. Just got my Scirocco today. The Radio manual seems contradictory. One bullet point it says it can only read SD cards up to 2GB and not SDHC. The next bullet point it says it can read SDHC :confused:

maisbitt
06-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Digiman - so you don't have an HCSD card to try? I'll get one anyway, if The car won't use it, my Lumix camera will, and i'll be able to use the 2Gb SD cards I already have for that camera in the car.

Morrisons had 4Gb Sandisc (one of the best) cards for £6 last week - not sure if the offer is still on.

With connectivity like this, the 6 CD changer seems a bit redundant.

Maybe the manual is a little contradictory due to updates? I got a GT Sport Golf 2 months after my dad and mine plays mp3 CDs, but his doesn't - maybe the 2009 head unit has had a tweak over the 2008 unit. The recognition of HCSD cards is probably just something as simple as a firmware update on the reader.

Is the SD slot on the head unit itself, or tucked away in the armrest? There are 2 small slot looking things on the bottom of the head unit, going from photos, but are these slots, or is 1 a slot and the other hole is there for symettry?

pumazooma
07-05-2009, 12:58 PM
The SD slot is in the unit itself about an inch below the screen.

The armrest has aux-in and a connector for USB and ipod.

I think you're fine with 4Gb SD cards. Not sure about HCSD but the general consensus is that SDs take a long time to initialise when you start the car up so in general people seem to be going for USB, ipod or MP3 CD.

maisbitt
07-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Might get a HCSD card for the camera and use the camera's old SD cards for the car instead. I have the Ipod too, I suppose - so many choices!

pumazooma
07-05-2009, 01:54 PM
I just use an mp3 CD. It's all in folders, all selectable on the touch screen. I might try out an mp3 stick next time I get a freebie from a rep. I've also got an ipod for more choice on longer trips.

You're right though, the amount of choices for how you want to listen to music/podcasts etc are excellent.

bpunkgttdipd10
29-06-2009, 03:17 AM
Is there a way to get iPhone/iPod video output to the touch screen?

That's something I'll need to figure out, by hack or by crack.

Ideal would be to plug iPhone into USB socket in arm rest, and have audio and video fed out to head touch screen.

maisbitt
29-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Just ordered a Sandisk Cruzer 16GB USB stick from Amazon for £17.23. Can't go wrong with that!

USB plug in is supposed to have a faster read and response from the 510 unit than the SD cards.

maisbitt
02-07-2009, 08:28 AM
The Sandisk Cruzer USB stick arrived yesterday, and it's now about 1/2 full.

Works very well, the response time when you navigate through the folders is about 1.5 times quicker than what I was getting by using MP3 CDs.

The only issue with it is that the 510 unit dosn't recognise it if it was the last source you used in the car and the RCD unit is trying to read it before anything else. You can get round this by selecting CD then selecting media again - iand it's recognised. I don't think I can get around that issue - the card was correctly reformatted on the PC in FAT32, so formatting isn't an issue. But for just over £17 for 16GB of storage that you can permanently leave in the car, I think it's better than tying up your Ipod.

tjdixon
20-12-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm waiting for my Scirocco at the moment, kind of glad I've not got it at the moment with the current weather!

How does this SD card slot work, do you just save music files to a folder on the card and the head unit will pick up and play? (obviously after selecting the SD input) Can music from itunes be saved onto an SD card in the same way as burning to a cd?

This could possibly be the dumbest question asked but I useless when it comes to knowing things like this!

Issac Hunt
20-12-2009, 08:44 PM
32GB SDHC card in mine and it loads up instantly everytime.

pumazooma
20-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Yep you can just save folders of music files and they'll show up on the screen.
You can't play itunes protected tracks, but any other regular mp3 will play fine.

Works the same with a USB stick.

Or you can get a cheap refurbished or second hand ipod and put it in the arm rest.

OR you can write mp3s to CD as a data disk.