PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Which remap/chip to use on my GOLF MK5 GTI DSG 2008 and is BLUEFIN any good ?

shaft-50
04-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Hello again..

:1zhelp:

Getting a bit stressed over this subject as I have never done owt like this before and am always afraid of messing about with the operating mechanics on my cars in case I bodge/f-it up and/or void my cars warranty.

Basically have been looking on here and am thinking of remapping my car (I have a new Golf MK5 GTI DSG 2008/58 plate car).

There seem to be loads of products out there with varying prices!!

Bluefin is one that has been recommended by a friend and although it is a bit pricey it seems to have good feedback from those who have used it.

What I want to ask is, firstly what is Bluefin, is it a remap or chip and what is the difference between a remap and a chip, if any ?

Secondly is the Blufin a good product and is it recommended ?

Finally (I think), if and when I get it done, would I have to alter/change anything on my car to compensate for the increase in bhp/torque, i.e. suspension/exhaust etc because dont want to f-up my car over a remap/chip ?

Thank you in advance :)

PS. I would also appreciate a rough idea on the cheapest price I can expect to pay for a Bluefin.

Vapor
04-05-2009, 06:59 PM
T,
You should be fine with all the GTi's stock gear,
Maybe the brakes will take a big beating though :D hehe,
Your looking generally in the range of around £435 for the bluefin device,

Bluefin is a remap not a tuning box, www.mybluefin.co.uk
basically you backup your old map (the one thats flashed now)
incase you need to revert back to it,
also you can have a map custom made to suit your driving needs, you do this by emailing the company your current map and there'll give you a choice matey,

then simply plug it in and upload the new map from the bluefin device to your car's ECU and your away, as simple as that.

There a great product hence the price :D

www.chippeduk.com also do there version of a bluefin device called the ST3 which i believe is also an awesome remap device,
ST3 literally means; self tuning system, with 3 levels of tune.

An example of this is shown below,

Original Software
Economy Tune
Performance Tune

These devices are £400 average so not much in difference, just bluefinare slightly more established

shaft-50
04-05-2009, 07:40 PM
cheers for that L.

think i am gonna build up the courage and invest in a bluefin v.soon :D

Aptuning
04-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Of course the choice is yours but I will tell you that the company who make the ST3 have been making tuning tools for some years now and are well established. Also I know i'm singing the praises of the ST3 here but you do get 2 maps to choose from instead of 1 with the bluefin. Also you get the 3 years warranty with the ST3. Just something to bear in mind.

shaft-50
04-05-2009, 11:31 PM
the only concerns i have about the whole thing and especially with the ST3 is would the car be affected with this remap. Will i need to alter/change things mechanical etc such as brakes, exhaust or other engine related things to support the ST3 or will it run fine with the standard GTI setup and not ruin it in anyway. Also with the ST3 is it as easy as the Bluefin to revert back to the standard setup if need be (visit to vw) and then re-programme it ?

Aptuning
05-05-2009, 12:11 AM
the only concerns i have about the whole thing and especially with the ST3 is would the car be affected with this remap. Will i need to alter/change things mechanical etc such as brakes, exhaust or other engine related things to support the ST3 or will it run fine with the standard GTI setup and not ruin it in anyway. Also with the ST3 is it as easy as the Bluefin to revert back to the standard setup if need be (visit to vw) and then re-programme it ?

Of course the car will be affected. In the good sense though. A remap can change the whole driving experience of the car, making it BETTER! There is nothing that you need to alter/change to be able to use the ST3 and do you think that 3 years warranty would be offered if it was going to ruin your car in any way? Of course brakes are always worth upgrading even with your car being standard.
The ST3 is so easy to use, even my other half could do it and shes not to clever with gadgets. To revert the car back to standard for the like of VW dealers all you do is plug in the ST3 and select the original map and it programmes it back to the car making sure that the counter is also reset. I know you think I just want to sell you something for the sake of it, but I have tried and tested this product and would only promote/sell it if i thought it was good enough. Remember you get the benefit of being able to take this item with you to another vehicle (if supported) and all you do is buy new maps for that vehicle. Please see what tom-tfsi said about he's ST3 handset. I actually gave him all the info he needed about the ST3 (and he went somewhere else still and paid even more money for it!) But he was still VERY happy with the results. If you want more positive opinions on the ST3 handset, just do a search on uk-mkivs.net (sorry again for plugging another site).
If this doesn't convince you then I don't know what will. Please call me on 07930410102 for any further info or to order.

shaft-50
13-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Well, after much consideration and debate and questions I have now decided and ordered an ST3 unit from GCLtuning. Gary was my point of contact and the two maps I have decided to go with are Fast and a Fast/Economy mixture for everyday usage !!

Should get it by Friday this week so will let you know how it goes :D

Thanks again to all who assisted with advice and answering my q's.

:beerchug:

Aptuning
13-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Thats nice after asking advice from myself

shaft-50
13-05-2009, 11:55 PM
Erm, apologies to the honourable member Darren @ APTuning but the whole idea of being a member of a large forum is for members to ask each other questions and seek advice/help etc from them.

I appreciate that you are part of this forum and thus have responded to questions I posted re the st3 remap along with others, who, however may only have been end users rather than suppliers/traders.

I do not appreciate negative posts about what I have decided and why. My decision was made after numerous questions posted and information that became available to me and at the end of the day the final decision is mine.

I have decided with GCLtuning, that is my choice and I have nothing against you or any other company/partner connected to this forum or otherwise that I may have asked questions or advice from.

I hope the above answers your post/stroke private email sent to me !!

(if you think because you give advice, people should buy off/from you then I suggest you remove yourself from the forum as that would be classed as bullying or blackmail)

Aptuning
14-05-2009, 12:10 AM
No offence was intended. But see my point that when someone goes out of there way to help someone else, most people expect some kind of loyalty. The private email I sent to you was only asking as to why you choose another company over myself after I had been kind enough to try and help you with your decision.
I pay good money to be here on this forum to help members and to provide a service at the best possible prices that I can offer at any given time. And when advice is then taken and in turn used but with another company anyone would ask as to WHY?
You were not obliged to use myself but Obviously as I had taken the time to reply to your many questions I wanted to be the company who could supply you with goods (to have the sale). I am in Business after all, and that requires me to sell.

shaft-50
14-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Comments noted and one can only apoligise if you feel you have been used. That was not intended and I can only thank you for your comments in this matter along with the other companies on here I emailed/asked.

Ben
18-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Im sure you have made the correct choice :biglaugh:

Oh yes? And why is that do you think? Care to elaborate a little? A PM will suffice.