PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bearings - are mine shot?

peteo
04-05-2009, 08:33 AM
I have a 05 plate 1.9TDI with 27,000 miles on the clock. I am noticing a slight oscillating noise (mild hum) from what appears to be the offside front. This occurs regardless of whether the car is in gear.

When slowing down, it becomes a bit of a drone sound. Again it does this in gear or free wheeling.

The sound is not noticeable at motorway speeds, mainly at lowish speeds.

Could my wheel bearings be shot, even on a car with only 27,000 miles? It must be 30 to 35 years since i had a bearing fail on any car and I have owned some sheds in my time.

sgtbanjo
04-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Usually wheel bearing noise becomes more noticable when turning one way or the other. Try a quiet road coasting in neutral and just steer left right slowly to see if it worsens.

peteo
05-05-2009, 07:47 AM
Usually wheel bearing noise becomes more noticable when turning one way or the other. Try a quiet road coasting in neutral and just steer left right slowly to see if it worsens.
Thanks sgtbanjo.

No, it doesn't seem to make much difference if any and I was thinking about the last time I had a wheel bearing go on a Fiat 128 in the 1970s and that definitely roared like mad when going round bends. In fact, if my memory serves, the offside front bearing on that car went twice within a year and the guy I was using at the time diagnosed a fault with the alignment of the drive shaft and recomended either stripping the whole drive train down or getting rid.

I got rid and part ex'd it.

sgtbanjo
05-05-2009, 09:56 PM
I believe in some cases an irregularly worn tyre can cause droning noises. When I test drove my current car, there was a terrible droning at around 40mph. The dealer said it was the bridgestone tyres on the rear and changed them for brand new pirellis. The noise vanished completely.

lanciamug
07-05-2009, 07:46 PM
If the tyre are getting worn, it is worth trying a change before you investigate the bearing further. I can confirfm that tyre war ca often induce a ' singing' , mines worse at about 30 ish on a certain type of road surface.

Crasher
07-05-2009, 08:00 PM
If yours has the two piece right hand drive shaft it may be the intermediate shaft support bearing. Spin the wheel with the car up off the deck and you will be able to hear the noise coming from the shaft support on the back of the block. The bearing is £30 and easy to do.

Paulhe
08-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Pete - I have just had all 4 Wheel Bearing replaced (but I have done 200K miles (55) year.
I found the noise just kept getting worse, but surprisingly there was no noticable play in any of the wheels. The noise was worse driving straight which had me worried for a time as I suspected the gearbox.
Local VW garage poped the car on the MOT brake rollers and did an instant diagnoise.
Now they are done, the silence is terrific,
Since you only have 27K on the clock, my clio wheel bearing went at 12K so mileage has little to do with it, I always suspected that cars that sit for a prolonged time at the manufacturers awaiting delivery are most prone - but then I could be very wrong.
Good luck on getting them fixed.

johnvw
14-05-2009, 02:25 AM
Dear Peteo,
I am glad some one mentioned tyres. I had the same problem with a Passat 1.8T, everyone was recommending wheel bearings except one guy who said it was uneven tyre wear ( ie not changing fronts to rear regularly enough). As I was due for new tyres I held on, changed tyres - no more noise. I rotate tyres for both Passat and Golf GTi every 5000Kms, no further problems .
Regards John

peteo
14-05-2009, 08:04 AM
Funnily enough, I was out in the car yesterday. The noise actually seems worse on different road surfaces but, unlike tyre noise I've had before, it's always present.

I must admit it's not a very metallic sounding noise though. What's worrying is that, as the car slows down, it seems to be a bit of moan sound.

I've got new tyres on the front and part worn on the back. Different makes as well.

Conor
19-05-2009, 11:20 PM
I think i'm in the same boat as you! Sound like a kind of chruning noise in low speeds and you can hear it a lot of a smooth road surface! Wondering what to do!!

Frelon
20-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Highly likely to be tyre noise. Check out the other threads on tyre noise and you might get some clues.

peteo
21-05-2009, 05:32 PM
As it happens, mine is due a service so I will get the VAG dealer to check it out. Mine, as above, is much more noticeable at low speeds. The most worrying aspect is the lowish "moan" sound as the car comes to rest. This is present either in or out of gear.

Made me wonder if Crasher's post above might have something to do with it (he is, of course, an expert) but as I am sure he would say, no technician can give a verdict from a description.

I'll report the verdict when it comes. Doesn't seem to be getting worse which may be a good sign.

Crasher
21-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Definition of an expert, an ex is a has been and a spurt is a drip under pressure…

RUSSGT
23-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Just wondering, if you're running directional tyres are they on the rim the right way or alternatively have the 2 front wheels (with the new tyres) been fitted to the correct sides of the car ? Another suggestion would be to swap the front wheels with the rear and see if that helps, just make sure that they go to the correct sides if the tyres are directional.

Russ

peteo
24-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Just wondering, if you're running directional tyres are they on the rim the right way or alternatively have the 2 front wheels (with the new tyres) been fitted to the correct sides of the car ? Another suggestion would be to swap the front wheels with the rear and see if that helps, just make sure that they go to the correct sides if the tyres are directional.

Russ

You may have read my mind Russ. I did replace the fronts about six months ago but I genuinely can't remember if the noise got worse then. I suspect it might have done. They are facing the right way according to the arrows.

I might swap them over anyway to see if the noise reduces. I did check the tyres I bought against the "Which" tyre survey and they are described as "average" for noise.

Crasher
24-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Anyone with a Golf 5 platform car (so 8P A3, Octavia and Leon 2 etc) should check to see if they have a two piece right hand drive shaft, the centre support bearing can also make this noise.

peteo
25-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Anyone with a Golf 5 platform car (so 8P A3, Octavia and Leon 2 etc) should check to see if they have a two piece right hand drive shaft, the centre support bearing can also make this noise.

Had a look under the car and can't quite tell if it has a 2 piece drive shaft. The bit you can see seems to be a single unit but everything else is covered by the sump guard and other plastic bits (technical terms!). Is the join nearer to the block?

Crasher
25-05-2009, 04:25 PM
The mount is on the back of the block.

peteo
25-05-2009, 06:08 PM
The mount is on the back of the block.
Should have read your first post on this - sorry.

Hoping my VAG used car warranty will cover this if it is the problem. I know wheel bearings aren't covered but this should be.

At least I will sound as if I know what I'm talking about when it goes in for it's service next month with this to be looked at as well. Many thanks.

Crasher
25-05-2009, 06:23 PM
With the car in the air, spinning the right front wheel will show if it is the support bearing as they make a distinct grumble all down the shaft into the box, the first time I thought it was diff bearings. They are quite easy to do though with a bearing splitter and a press and the part is only about £40.

peteo
14-06-2009, 09:44 PM
My local VW dealership tell me that they do not think the noise is due to worn bearings and are convinced it is down to tyre noise. They say that they have test driven the car on a number of different road surfaces and the noise appears to change according to which surface is being driven on.

They reckoned that the fact that my rear tyres were wearing down (although nowhere near the 2mm limit) might be a factor. One of those tyres is unevenly worn having, i guess, been on the front at some stage.

Still not completely satisfied.

Crasher
14-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Ask them to check the drive shaft support bearing if it has the two piece right hand drive shaft. PM me your reg and I will tell you if it has the two piece shaft.