PDA

View Full Version : Mk3 Golf Tdi (1996) acceleration problem

Octavius
28-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Hello,

I have been having a problem with my MK3 Golf Tdi for the past three months or so. When the car is accelerating between about 76 & 82mph, acceleration will stop. The engine stays running, but no matter how much I press the accelerator down the car will go no faster. If I lift my foot of the accelerator and press down again, the car will respond and continue to accelerate. I have noticed that this happens when going up hill. Down hill is fine and the car performs as it always has. The issue does not occur at any other speeds.

Your ideas and contributions would be greatly received.

Leigh

c2crr
28-03-2007, 02:51 PM
sounds to me it could be your maf sensor at higher speeds is faulty. the faster you go the more air you take in.The reason i say its your maf sensor is because i had the same problem. when i repalced the maf the problem went away. Giving your maf a clean may help.I know some of the members had a go at cleaning theres with some success.
hope this helps

Octavius
28-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the response. Am I correct in saying MAF stands for Mass Air Flow sensor.

I will most probably have a go myself with the assistance of my mecahnic brother when I next see him.

c2crr
28-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Thats the one when i had that same problem i was flooring the accelerator on a not too steep gradiant on part of the m6 and got no responce the rev were dropping off so i ease of the accelerator and it seemed to be ok again.The only thing i did at that point was change the MAF sensor(did not know how to clean it ) and low and behold problem was totaly eliminated.let me know how you get on. ok ?:beerchug: