rickgti
28-03-2007, 01:02 PM
my rear bushes have split on my 2.0 gti v reg

how much am i looking at?

Eshrules
28-03-2007, 01:16 PM
my rear bushes have split on my 2.0 gti v reg

how much am i looking at?

try phoning a local dealer or autofactor :Blush: expect to pay no more than £8/10 each

rickgti
28-03-2007, 04:09 PM
cheers... i'll need them fitted cos if i do it something else will brake lol

amz
28-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Are these rear axle bushes? I had my Golf GT TDi serviced in January at the main dealer and the Inspection Report states that I require the rear axle bushes, and they quoted me £380 for them. Is this correct? I haven't yet bothered to look into it, as I'm skint. Is it dangerous to be driving around with worn axle bushes, and how much would I be looking at, to get them repaired/replaced?

rickgti
29-03-2007, 12:02 PM
yes it is the rear axle bushes on both sides.

i have been talking to my mate who was a mechanic at a dealership.. he says the bushes themselves are pretty cheap as stated above but the job itself is a ballache.... been told to expect a bill of 200ish for the whole job.

Eshrules
29-03-2007, 12:24 PM
sounds a little extortionate to me, but i do know they are a pain in the ar$e to do.... shop around and get the cheapest quote.

in regards to the safety, not really a safety issue, but is not likely to be doing any good for your rear axles or the suspension set up.... probably best to get fixed asap.

amz
29-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Oh, so the job itself is expensive then to do? I was just baffled why rickgti said its a few pounds, but VW quoted me £380!

I'll start shopping around and see who can fit them for me the cheapest. esh, so the worn out bushes will be bad for the suspension and the real axles? Will they too wear off, if I continue driving around with worn axle bushes? When travelling on the motorway, I do sometimes hear a grinding noise (bit like a wiring fault in the rear speaker), but think its from the tyre, etc. Is this likely to be linked?

Eshrules
29-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Oh, so the job itself is expensive then to do? I was just baffled why rickgti said its a few pounds, but VW quoted me £380!

I'll start shopping around and see who can fit them for me the cheapest. esh, so the worn out bushes will be bad for the suspension and the real axles? Will they too wear off, if I continue driving around with worn axle bushes? When travelling on the motorway, I do sometimes hear a grinding noise (bit like a wiring fault in the rear speaker), but think its from the tyre, etc. Is this likely to be linked?

think about what a bush functions as and what its main intended purpose is....

then think of how this will impact on the rest of the suspension and axle parts.... apply simple logic and you will get there :) thats how i work most of the time ;) lol

as for the grinding... im unsure and i wouldnt want to guess in case im way off base... may be worth your while getting the bushes done as metal meets metal, i presume there could well be a grinding, which MAY be due to your bushes, yes, but MAY not....

Col
29-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Sorry to snuk in like this but I've got a pair of the higher quality GSF bushes (they do two qualities) up for a modest fee. They are left over from when I had my Golf. I never did got round to fitting them.

BugsyMalone666
29-03-2007, 01:31 PM
pair of bushes for my mk3 were £26 a pair from GSF, its the fitting thats going to cost a fortune and you have to drop the axle to do it, apparently according to my mate whos a mechanic, he said there was a special tool for pressing the bushes out and new ones in, although i have yet to see one!