PDA

View Full Version : mileage fault

fatman
28-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Hi i got new passat sport estate in july 06 loved the old one
i have have noticed the mileage go up up to now it is saying i have done 19k but i know i havnt done that sort of mileage the dealer has backed me up but vw are saying they have never had this problem and that i am lying has any one had a mileage problem. The dealer did say that the dash was faulty and have replaced it

fozzie
28-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Hi Fatman.
Hmm, they have replaced a faulty dash but state you must be lying about the mileage. I would start keeping your petrol/diesel receipts if i were you. (thats if you havent already)

Fozzie!

Eshrules
28-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Hi i got new passat sport estate in july 06 loved the old one
i have have noticed the mileage go up up to now it is saying i have done 19k but i know i havnt done that sort of mileage the dealer has backed me up but vw are saying they have never had this problem and that i am lying has any one had a mileage problem. The dealer did say that the dash was faulty and have replaced it

i have heard of this fault before... in fact i think it may have been the subject of a recall, but dont quote me on that...

i know that a lot of mileage recorders weren't doing what they outght to be. i also know that there is a way to read the actual mileage of the car using vagcom, not just from the dash display so if the mileage is being disputed, suggest this to your dealer.

in the meantime, i will do some research and see what i can find...

guyg
29-03-2007, 12:02 AM
How much do you think the mileage is out?

Does the trip meter tally with the main odometer reading?

What is the MPG readout like - does it seem realistic?

Can you check the odo accuracy by driving over a known distance?

This might be a daft question [and I'm sure someone will tell me if it is!] but is it possible the replacement dash could be displaying km if it was set up incorrectly?

Guy

Gordon Finlay
03-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Hello,

I suspect that I have a similar problem. According to my odometer, my mileage is now 67% higher than my annual average rate in my previous car - even though I have done fewer long journeys.

I intend to make a check on a 70 mile journey planned for 12 April and am also seeking the opinion of my local VW dealer from whom I purchased my 2005 Passat S 1.9 TDI in September of last year.

I will report the outcome of my own test and my dealer's reaction to same after they have checked the car - and perhaps also taken a read-out from the car's memory.

Gordon

Gordon Finlay
22-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Hello,

As advised in my my message of 3 April, I carefully checked my odometer reading over a 150 mile journey and found it to be entirely accurate. Consequently, I can report that my suspicions were ill-founded.

Gordon Finlay