PDA

View Full Version : A4 Avant 2003 1.9tdi Turbo trouble (intermitent)

Sidzer
02-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Just today - coming home and noticed the cars turbo was not working - drove home stoped car for about 20 mins. started it again and turbo worked in lower gears but at faster speeds in higher gears it kicked out again. fuel levels were low so i filled up (60 miles left) and after about 5 mins turbo worked again!

Anyone any ideas- 105000 miles on clock - just got the timing belt done last week - car was driving very well up to this. Would it damage the car to drive it like this?

Any ideas wud be most welcome.... It will be a few days before I will be able to get it to a mechanic..

Thanks s:aargh4:

Sidzer
02-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Took it for another spin about 3 hrs later..

Turbo again working sometimes and only in lower gears...:1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp::a argh4:

paulp
04-05-2009, 10:38 AM
your car is going into limp mode,first step is to have fault codes read.

arman123
04-05-2009, 04:18 PM
get your turbo boost vavle checked car could be over boosting and going into limp mode its a kind of saftey feature thats cuts your turbo out so not to damage it vavle cost about 45 squid and fitting is is not that bad about 35 squid labour but get a diognostic check first and do any lights come on when the turbo cuts out?

Sidzer
04-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks - paul and arman..

No lights coming on - sometimes turbo works usually when i start car.. no smoke or anything unusual...

I bought diesel in a garage which i now know to be dodgy - could be washed agri or something else - it was when the tank went down low that the problem first occured....

will bring to mechanic 2moro

will post when sorted out :beerchug:

Marc1
05-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Hope you get it sorted mate. Let us know what your mechanic says.

Sidzer
06-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Still waiting for mechanic as he is on hols.

Changed fuel filter and this has not improved the situation any..

Will bring it to mechanic nxt week and let you know what the story is..

Thanks

S:beerchug:

Marc1
07-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Fingers crossed it's nothing serious. Could be the turbo vanes are sticking and need a clear out, your mechanic will confirm, but you can buy a product from Innotec called Turbo clean for about £50.

Sidzer
08-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks Marc1....

No joy yet but hope mechanic can sort it out nxt week as it's a bit too much like drivin my old metro all those yrs ago:o

Might try to but the cleaner pack - do you know if it gives instructions with the kit for an A4???? I must b getting brave or maybe its the dam credit crunch.....

Ta:beerchug:

Marc1
13-05-2009, 09:51 AM
The pack contains intructions, it's the same for all turbos, not specific to A4's. Check the turbine shaft for play too.

Sidzer
13-05-2009, 10:09 PM
still waitin on mechanic....... wheres my haynes....:aargh4:

Sidzer
28-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Just got the problem sorted :beerchug:

Turbo boost pressure sensor....... 5 mins plugging in computer to find fault 10mins taking out old sensor and replacing with new one..... Cost €100....

Great to have car back working again..

Thanks for all the posts...

Ardee Diesel Services if anyone is in this neck of the woods I'd recommend them...(Ireland / Louth / Meath / Monaghan.... I had been talking to a number of mechanics and they were advising putting in new turbo unit....

S

barryareef
28-05-2009, 04:33 PM
It may be a build up of carbon on the VNT mechanism, this sometimes causes the veins to be stuck in the open or closed position, the problem often temporarily corrects itself once cool again.. You can get it cleaned but it will need to be rebalanced on a special rig afterwards.