PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder 2 Misfire

s-l-i-x
02-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi everyone,

I was driving home earlier and the light came on the dash (emissions I think) and the car went into 'limp mode'.... Very little power etc.

When I got it home I did a scan on VAG COM and it gave me the fault code of '16686 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected'.

Now what next? Do I replace the spark plugs first?.... then the HT Leads?

And then leave the coil pack untill last?

Any help would be great as I have to use the car for tuesday. Thankyou

Oh and finally.... the spark plugs don't seem to be the easiest things to get to, does anyone have a guide? I have a 1.6 8L 2001 A3.

kite
02-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Change the No2 coil first, these are known to fail.

a8 tech
02-05-2009, 09:52 PM
No coil packs on this model and i would suggest renewing all the leads first because if you have no experience of removing theses leads you will destroy them on removal.When removing the plugs make sure the washer on the spark plug is present as they tend to stick in the cylinder head thread
Check the plug leads are installed firmly and no arcing out on the cylinder head as you can see theses plugs/leads are a pig to access.Consider a compression test to eliminate valve leakage and be careful you don't catch the injectors when working in this area as the connections are prone to damage from accessing the spark plugs.good luck and watch those knuckles lol

kite
03-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Opps.....me bad....

s-l-i-x
08-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Right Update

I have tried swapping the HT lead with number 1 and its still showing misfire on cylinder 2, have also changed the coil pack and no luck!

Would a faulty spark plug be the cause? They were only changed about 6 months ago with decent NGK ones...

What other things should I check guys? This is a little worrying as I don't want to go down the "new engine" route :(

Car has done 55,000 miles if thats any help.