PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 Wheel stud length

bimilne
02-05-2009, 02:17 PM
I have recently fitted a set of 18" alloys to my 2002 Audi A4 1.9Tdi Sport. I feel that the length of the original studs from the car are a little short.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so what is the cure ? do Audi have longer studs.
Cheers

lostboy
06-05-2009, 06:29 PM
how many turns are you getting when putting the nuts on?
6 full turns is the minimum you should rely on for safety.
Extended studs are widely available on ebay.

J

bimilne
07-05-2009, 06:08 AM
Hi

Thanks for that info, I am present getting 5-6 turns on them but I think I will go ahead and purchase some extended length studs. Do you know of any problems if the studs are too lomg, do they interfere with anything on the brakes etc.
Brian

lostboy
07-05-2009, 07:24 PM
no they won`t intefere with the brakes what so ever.
Go for a good make like h/r~found here.

http://www.performancealloys.com/wheel_studs.asp

obviously if you were fitting longer wheel bolts that might intefere with the backing plate if they were too long,you would need to cut them down.Done it many times here.

all the best m8.

J

bimilne
07-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Cheers for the site address, will look into it when i get home.
Thanks for getting back again though.Once I get sorted with the site will post some photos of my pride and joy hopefully after wheel refurb !!

Brian

lostboy
07-05-2009, 08:20 PM
No problem thats what we are all here for,help each other out.
Look forwards to seeing your motor.

J

00mrmark00
19-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Hi guys,

In addition to the original Q. I also have some 18" wheels fitted, but intend to return the 16s that came with the car as I'm about to flog it.

Though, I seem to have misplaced the original bolts. Is there a huge variation in the length, head type etc of bolts depending on the wheels being fitted?

Just want to make sure I get the right ones...

Cheers.

lostbok
25-05-2012, 08:42 AM
in case anybody else digs up this thread: please be careful if you do ever use longer bolts... About 5yrs ago, I had a choice between speccing my new bolts a mm shorter or 5mm longer compared to what I had already (plus the spacer width)... I went for the longer option think that is what was safe to do: Problem was that extra 5mm length, plus that I had correctly specc'd rounded rather than the original (wrong!) connical bolts meant they sat even further into the wheels... they went on fine, but as soon and seemed to move freely, but as soon as I pulled out the drive, there was quite a nasty scrape and I ended up doing several hundred Pounds damage to most of the ABS sensors.