PDA

View Full Version : Petrol in Leon 2.0 Tdi - Advice please

Jack Spratt
02-05-2009, 01:09 PM
2 weeks ago around 15litres of petrol, in a virtually empty tank, was put in to my diesel car, before realising. Phoned mechanic who told me to fill it with diesel & run it to 1/4 tank then fill again.

I am nearly at the 1/4 empty, so haven't filled it again yet.

At first, engine was rough ticking over, that has now improved and on a few occasions, it has cut out when braking, but that has also stopped happening.
Now however, there is a very strong smell of petrol coming from the car. Any ideas what this could be coming from?

Also, car starts perfectly on first start of the day, however, if I stop & start it again it takes a while to start. Does anyone know if this will improve?

I haven't changed the fuel filter yet, but will be doing so. Should that help rid me of these problems?

Also, is there anything that I could add to the tank to help improve the healing process?

Any advice would be appreciated.

zollaf
02-05-2009, 08:39 PM
fill it up with diesel asap. try adding some diesel treatment to it. you would have been better off filling up with diesel before you got to 1/4 tank, imho, but too late now. i would just top up with diesel as often as realistically possible to dilut the petrol, and see what its like after a few tankfuls.

onzarob
02-05-2009, 08:46 PM
As above really fill it up with more as soon as you can. To bo honest though 15 l with nothing in the tank, tank should of been drained.

The maximum is suppose to be 5% diluted petrol in diesel, but VW state with the PD engine that no petrol should be in the diesel.

Hopefully after a descent tankful of diesel again all will be well. Only time will tell now.

Jack Spratt
03-05-2009, 09:45 AM
fill it up with diesel asap. try adding some diesel treatment to it. you would have been better off filling up with diesel before you got to 1/4 tank, imho, but too late now. i would just top up with diesel as often as realistically possible to dilut the petrol, and see what its like after a few tankfuls.

I have now filled tank again. So far, engine is starting as it should.

Do you recommend any particular diesel treatment?

Jack Spratt
09-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Update.

So far so good. After 2nd fill up, car is running with no problems.

Phew!!

Thanks for the advice.

onzarob
09-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Good news, now remember only use the black pump handle ;)