PDA

View Full Version : 'Blagging' the Deal

rufustfirefly
01-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Can I ask - how many of you who have bought a nice new shiny B8 have searched all the internet brokers, got the prices, and then walked into a showroom and said - '"match that and you've got a deal" - and got that deal?:banana:

robtt09
01-05-2009, 01:50 PM
I tried and the local dealer was not interested (despite them being on a rolling four day week) and so the the Autobytel dealer got the order! Having said that they are pants .I thought Merc dealers were bad but my experience so far with Audi sales staff makes the Merc guys paragons of virtue!

Having owned Audis before though I know the cars are good so here goes again

tlionhart
01-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Most dealers are willing to drop right down to 2.5/3 % you just gotta push them. They usually offer 9/8% but will make a deal of 6%.

So yes, if its a reasonable deal and you can prove it use it as a trump card. Or even quotes from another dealer. I think there is a degree of confidence needed in buying a car. The ones who get hit full whack apr are gullible or un-confident of pushing salesman as they think they are being fair. When really the salesman as everyone knows is making a quick buck.

I think you could just tell them what you realistically want to pay (you gotta be fair as the dealer would prob just say fine then go to a broker! Just to prove they arn't really struggling at audi there was a queue, yes A QUEUE behind me on the day of collection to pay and set their contracts up) and tell them no more than that as there will be no deal. Also flashing the credit card helps...saying if you do it you can have this today. I did at one dealer, he tried to pull the wool over me (i mean £495 p/m on an A3?! Its an A3 not a Q7 or S5!) Went to my local dealer and said only if we have the card today you can have what you want. I did.

But I guess the literature might back you up, but web deals can be a lot different to setting up a contract in person.

onemanparty
01-05-2009, 02:02 PM
I tried and the local dealer was not interested (despite them being on a rolling four day week) and so the the Autobytel dealer got the order! Having said that they are pants .I thought Merc dealers were bad but my experience so far with Audi sales staff makes the Merc guys paragons of virtue!

Having owned Audis before though I know the cars are good so here goes again

What Audi Dealer do you use!!!

By the way I hate Brokers!!! Why pay someone to buy a car for you. Autobytel is different because they are Inchcape and own 10 Audi Dealers

tlionhart
01-05-2009, 02:20 PM
What Audi Dealer do you use!!!

By the way I hate Brokers!!! Why pay someone to buy a car for you. Autobytel is different because they are Inchcape and own 10 Audi Dealers

In theory audi dealerships do buy the car for you (buy it from audi UK) and arrange for the finance to be paid back to the dealership. In which they use Volkswagen finance. But i wouldn't use a broker though...I prefer the peace of mind by buying/financing directly.

by the way onemanparty giving the S3 up already?! Great 2nd choice in car though ;)

onemanparty
01-05-2009, 02:28 PM
In theory audi dealerships do buy the car for you (buy it from audi UK) and arrange for the finance to be paid back to the dealership. In which they use Volkswagen finance. But i wouldn't use a broker though...I prefer the peace of mind by buying/financing directly.

by the way onemanparty giving the S3 up already?! Great 2nd choice in car though ;)

Very True Audi dealers do by the car from Audi UK.

Yes I was going to have an A4 in September but I have the chance for an A5 by colleague will have my S3 for a couple of months. Collect on the 11th

Bristle Hound
01-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Can I ask - how many of you who have bought a nice new shiny B8 have searched all the internet brokers, got the prices, and then walked into a showroom and said - '"match that and you've got a deal" - and got that deal?:banana:

Yup, I did that. Took me a month (in this financial climate!) to get the deal mind, so you've got to be patient.

When I picked the car up the Salesman said they hadn't given so much discount on a new A4, until I bought off them. Bullsh** maybe, who knows! :D

rufustfirefly
01-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Hopefully when my time comes (still saving up - will be a cash purchase) my balls will be big enough to try it !!

rd1
01-05-2009, 04:09 PM
I also did that, I took a print out of the best internet deal with the options also priced in to the showroom and told them that I wanted to continue to give them my custom but they had to at least match the web price. They did without hesitation and gave me further discounts as we talked tyre and maintenance contracts through the dealership.
Overall I was happy as I thought it was a good deal and I am pretty sure that they did also, second new car from them privately and they will continue to get the servicing for both cars and my custom when I next change.
Go for it nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Roger

andyrp
01-05-2009, 04:40 PM
I got a quote from 1 dealer, which they emailed to me as an Excel spreadsheet with their logo on the document and showing all the discount calculations etc. I simply added in a few extras (cruise and interior light pack), tweaked the discount percentage, pdf'ed it and emailed it to another dealer who matched the modded quote without question.

ScottyUK
01-05-2009, 04:48 PM
My dealer originally offered my £500 off a prebuilt car as it wasn't exactly my spec. I said I'd go away and think about it.

I went on the web and then made some phone calls.

I then went back to the dealer and said I can buy exactly the car I want a lot cheaper than what you're selling at. I told him that most of the broker quotes were about 11% off. He told me that since brokers order through dealers then he should always be able to at least compete with them.

We say down and I got the 11% off and a reasonable part-ex on my car. He was happy to offer the same discount even if I sold my car privately.

73kingstonroad
01-05-2009, 05:41 PM
I got 11% on mine and a good px price for my GTI. :biglaugh:
Then I found out they'd charged me MY10 price on a order dated 7/4/09. :mad:
So I went back last week with the MY10 PDF doc's off here and they couldn't do anything other than work the price out again using MY09 price's. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

That'll be £450 in my back pocket thank you...

And I'm getting a MY10 with the black optic back...

Martin

Plife
01-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Exactly what I did. Dealer came in 200 more so they got the deal :biglaugh:

Two Audi family
01-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Went to my dealer who I have bought 3 cars (Audis) from in the past and ordered my A4 2.0TDI S line 170 with a load of extras. Ordered the car in late January for my specified date of May 20th delivery (19 days to go!). Negotiated hard and got 11% discount with no part ex. Since then there has been the 2% price rise - which I wont pay, so I effectively managed 13% discount.

I did quote the price found on the internet, but I would also rather use the local dealer as they are the dealer I will look to, to take care of my car. I keep my cars a long time (current 2.5 TDI Quattro avant sport is 7 years old and I am keeping it as a second hand car), so it is important to me to keep the dealer sweet, just as I hope that the dealer wants to keep me sweet.

TAF

B8 TDI
01-05-2009, 06:32 PM
All this talk about economic climate etc, you forget Audi had a record sales figure for thier 2008 fiscal year, and sold over 1 million cars, they really do not need to beg anyone for sales.

73kingstonroad
01-05-2009, 07:17 PM
I got 11% on mine and a good px price for my GTI. :biglaugh:
Then I found out they'd charged me MY10 price on a order dated 7/4/09. :mad:
So I went back last week with the MY10 PDF doc's off here and they couldn't do anything other than work the price out again using MY09 price's. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

That'll be £450 in my back pocket thank you...

And I'm getting a MY10 with the black optic back...

Martin

11% + 2.1% = 13.1% :biglaugh:

AND...

When doing the paperwork/maths he got it wrong by the tune of £40 in my favor.

So I guess that's the front/rear rubber mats paid for.

Martin

ScottyUK
01-05-2009, 07:20 PM
It seems we've all getting 11% off the early '09 prices. That's a lot of saving compared to some one who just walks in and pays the price.....and it does happen.

On top of the good feeling of getting a good discount, we cab also feel good we're helping keep the economy on the move :D

jon_iz
01-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Back at the begining of December, I went in to the local dealers with a budget and a quote for a Beemer...
I gave them a base spec of what I wanted, from dealer stock and let them look and see what they could offer.
As expected they came back with a higher spec than i'd asked for.
I kept saying "No" until they hit my original budget - so i got better than i asked for and about 10% off and 80K miles worth of services thrown in...
Did allright I reckon.
:-)

onemanparty
01-05-2009, 08:17 PM
11% and the dealer makes money about £300 on the Average A4 over 13% and they lose money. Anyone who laughs because they got more will not be smiling they there dealer goes POP!!!

I have to say this thread (Discount) seems to appear every other month.

If you got 1% or 11% be happy if the deal was good for you :approve:

lozzermo
02-05-2009, 11:08 AM
You have to go in knowing what discounts are available when you are spending that much money. At the end of the day, knowing that you got the best deal you could at the time is almost as sweet as driving your new motor away from the forecourt!

mactrack
02-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Last weekend I ordered 2010 model year A4 Avant, for my parents, and an A5 for myself. I had previously used Drivethedeal.com for my A3. I was more than happy to use a broker as they could get a price that I could not and the whole transaction was completely hassle free and I am happy to recommend them.

For the recent A4 and A5 I contacted the original A3 supplying dealer direct and I am still awaiting his quote. An Inchcape dealer who would discount but not to the level of the online brokers. A local(ish) dealer who I felt a built a rapport with did match the best advertised online prices for both cars, ended up with 12% off both, but I had to say where the price was obtained from and the sales manager literally went away and checked the price pound for pound before agreeing.

smellster
03-05-2009, 10:31 AM
I used Broadspeed and Motorlogix to quote me for the spec I wanted then used that to negotiate with the local dealer.

Ended up placing the order with local dealer as they came within a few hundred pounds of Motorlogix's quote. I'd rather pay a few hundred quid more to deal with a local dealer than deal with a broker's dealer several hundred miles away, but I have to say Motorlogix were really helpful and informative when I spoke to them and if the local dealer hadn't come so close I would have happily gone with them.

Paul.693
15-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Don't forget that the internet brokers and supplying dealers both make a profit through web deals.
The dealer should price match as they are getting both margins.
It pays to do your homework and makes the dealer put the list price down!

onemanparty
16-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Don't forget that the internet brokers and supplying dealers both make a profit through web deals.
The dealer should price match as they are getting both margins.
It pays to do your homework and makes the dealer put the list price down!

The dealer should price match as they are getting both margins :confused:

:biglaugh: Brokers are the only one who Profit!!!