PDA

View Full Version : Please Help cigerrete lighter not working

bigbadsexy
30-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Hello. I have a 2006 Passat. All of a sudden my cigerrete lighter stopped working. I checked the manual to see where the fuse was (thinking it could be the fuse). The manual said it was on the right hand side and allocated on 34 (cant remember the number). When I looked at the fuse position it was empty. No fuse was in there. I am very confused. Please could someone help me??????

Thank you in advance.

kenney
30-04-2009, 07:52 PM
fuse 38 only models to April 2006 and fuse 41 only models from May 2006,fuse box SC left hand side

bigbadsexy
30-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Thank you for your reply. I checked the left fuse box and there are no fuses in them. I don't know what to do.

martin1810
30-04-2009, 10:36 PM
I think it should be fuse 35 in the left dash fuse box. A dirty connection on the back of the lighter can cause this as can a bad earth.

bigbadsexy
01-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Thank you for your replies. However, there are no fuses in any of the places you guys mentioned. I really don't know what to do. My warranty finished a few back and don't have the money to give it to vw. If there is anyone who can shed any light on this problem I would be very grateful.

kenney
02-05-2009, 09:04 AM
I must admit,the wiring diagrams on later models are sometimes,difficult to read,(maybe it's my age)anyway bigbadsexy,try fuse 35 on the right fuse box.The fuse table says one thing and the actual diagram says something else

bigbadsexy
02-05-2009, 11:14 AM
On the right fuse box there is no fuse in 35. Is ugh: a hopeless case?

kenney
02-05-2009, 01:25 PM
So simple a thing and yet so confusing,Are the terminals there for a fuse?if so, i suggest put a fuse in.Otherwise i see no other alternative then to check the power to all fuses.

martin1810
02-05-2009, 02:17 PM
According to my notes the fuse is either passenger side 35 or drivers side 38 or 41 depending on year. Me and kenney seem to have the same numbers just different sides. Surely one of these positions must have a fuse in it.

kenney
02-05-2009, 05:46 PM
A bit confusing,since i work on LHD vehicles,but if we forget about drivers side and passengers side,the fuse boxes are the same for LHD and RHD vehicles.The left hand fuse box is called SC and the right hand fuse box is called SD,is that correct martin?

martin1810
02-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Yes. SC left and SD right. Think it might be me who had them muddled. But one of those fuse numbers must be correct.

bigbadsexy
04-05-2009, 04:10 PM
In my car manual it says the fuse is on the right hand side number 35. But there is no fuse there. I'm confused because it must have been working with out a fuse in there. I never thought that finding a fuse was so difficult. Could it be the barrel itself? But why does the manual say the fuse is in 35?

bigbadsexy
17-05-2009, 09:43 PM
I have checked all the fuses both left and right and still no joy. Although in my manual (and others have said, THANK YOU) it tells where the fuse is suppose to be, there is no fuse in there. It was working fine before, even though there was no fuse in the place where it says (in manual) so why on earth would it still not work????????????

GUYS I was so grateful for the time you have taken to help me. If someone could tell me why this dam thing has stopped working I would be so so so so so so so so so so so so so grateful.

THANK YOU

kenney
17-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Check if you have power at the unit,Could it be the lighter element is broken?

martin1810
18-05-2009, 10:03 AM
I have checked all the fuses both left and right and still no joy. Although in my manual (and others have said, THANK YOU) it tells where the fuse is suppose to be, there is no fuse in there. It was working fine before, even though there was no fuse in the place where it says (in manual) so why on earth would it still not work????????????

GUYS I was so grateful for the time you have taken to help me. If someone could tell me why this dam thing has stopped working I would be so so so so so so so so so so so so so grateful.

THANK YOU

It's quite common on 2005 & 2006 passats to find the fuses are in different places so don't panic. The wiring behind the fuse box goes to a busbar which gives power to several fuses. Some busbars are live feed and some are ignition feed. This means that any fuse on that busbar can be the cigarette lighter. Use a test light to see if the center inside the cigarette lighter is live with the ignition on. If it's not live you know you are looking for a fuse problem.

kenney
18-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Does the rear cig lighter work,it runs from the same fuse

martin1810
18-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Bigbadsexy. I have double checked and the fuses should be 38 or 41 on the right side fuse box. BUT The handbook and the fuse box may be numbered the wrong way. Fuse number 1 is top row, right hand side and reads right to left. This means fuse 38 is 5th row down, 2nd from left. Fuse 41 is 6th row down, 2nd from right. Good luck.

IndyTTom
05-07-2009, 06:58 PM
My brother has the same problem. He does not have the manual and there are no numbers on the fuse panel which in his car US model is on the drivers side (left) It is a 2008 Passat 2.0T and his front and rear cigarret lighters do not work. I can't find the fuse in that panel. Does anyone have a fuse diagram of the 08 Passat B6????

Thank you!

Tom in Indy

kenney
05-07-2009, 07:53 PM
The fuse board is numbered,and you should be looking at fuse 41 20amp.second fuse from left,second row from bottom.

IndyTTom
05-07-2009, 08:37 PM
I did finally found it. It was on the left side fuse box last row/bottom row and it was the second fuse from the left. 20amp fuse. It was blown and
I replaced it and the both cigarette lighters/accessory sockets work now.

Cool, thanks!

sudhirbph
07-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Does the rear cig lighter work,it runs from the same fuse

Further to that, my back cig lighter works but not the front one :aargh4::aargh4::aargh4:. any ideas please>>>>> Many thanks

DSG4ME
08-03-2011, 02:17 AM
I found this myself, the fuse and the manual don't match up, however I found a cheap solution, it's called a Clipper, and it's refillable,re-flintable and works instantly, and best of all it only cost a quid ;)

sudhirbph
08-03-2011, 11:56 AM
I need it for charging my tomtom, its becoming a bit hassle to use the back one all the time. any ideas how to fix the front one???
Many thanks

ToMBoY_C
08-03-2011, 12:22 PM
I had this, turned out to be something stupid like interior lights fuse or ambience light fuse, failing that try something like climatronic fuse, one of those did it for me!!

harltech
08-03-2011, 12:28 PM
check all the fuses because sometimes the diagrams have the wrong locations.
Its the sat navs and phone chargers that blow the fuses if they are on for hours.

also the plug might have come off the back. If you pop the trim up around the gear stick you should be able to see the plug.

potshot
08-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Cheaper option than a clipper - stop smoking........................................... ............

the surfer
10-03-2011, 03:14 PM
I have the exact same problem! It too is driving me nuts as the fuse schematic in the manual doesn't match to what is in the car! I've tried pulling fuses and swapping, etc. but still no luck. Starting to wonder if the problem is not due to a blown fuse and is something more difficult to fix, like poor soldering or bad connections somewhere.

The 12 V socket in the boot works perfectly fine, but the two inside the car do not. I need the one in the front to power my electric tyre pump, my iPhone and also my sat nav. It's been bugging me for months now...

Will try the advice given here this weekend...

martin1810
10-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Fuse assignment is here.
https://sites.google.com/site/1810martin/passat-b6-fuse-assignment

Trouble is VW change the assignments without publishing the changes.

kenney
10-03-2011, 06:54 PM
these fuses are very confusing:D
Fuse holder C -SC- , dash panel on driver's side, to April 2008
Fuse 38 on fuse holder C 15A -Trailer detector control unit -J345-2)
Cigarette lighter -U1 (5)
Rear cigarette lighter -U9 (5)
(5) =To April 2006
Fuse holder D -SD- , dash panel on front passenger side, to April 2008
Fuse 35 on fuse holder D 20A - Cigarette lighter -U1 (2)
Rear cigarette lighter -U9 (2)
(2) = Only models to April 2006
Fuse assignment on fuse holder C -SC- , dash panel on driver's side, from May 2008
Fuse 41 on fuse holder C 20A - Cigarette lighter -U1 (2)
Rear cigarette lighter -U9 (2)
(2) = Only models with a diesel engine
You would need an interpreter to explain the above

martin1810
10-03-2011, 07:15 PM
If you think thats complicated. What about looking for the terminal 30 relay in the E-box.:D