PDA

View Full Version : Question New Radiator

VWJohn81
30-04-2009, 04:39 PM
I have put a new radiator into my mk2 golf now because of a small leak, its all fitted fine and I used the old fan and motor onto the new rad.

The rad had some expanding foam on it from packaging so got most of that off.

Everything is now fine on the car - no leaks etc but im unsure if my fan is now not working as it didnt kick in when I thought it should - but I may have been overly premature in turning it off as there was smoke coming from the rad - I presume this is the expanding foam particles burning but I didnt wanna chance it.

Are there any known issues using the old motor and fan which includes the heater control sensor on the bottom right of the rad?

Gonna wait for it to cool down then check all the connections are secure for the leads going into the fan etc - im presuming there is only one way this can go into a connection?

VWJohn81
30-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Fan working ok now - must have been a dodgy connection on the wires somewhere.

I just pushed them all true with every bit of strength I have and it now works.

Time to put it back on the road soon me thinks :)

davey670
30-04-2009, 10:17 PM
may have been trapped air as well stopping the fan coming on.
when you have replaced a rad you loose most of the water from the engine.
after driving the car for a day allow it to cool down and check the water level as it will bleed the remains of the air out of the system while you drive.
keep a eye on the level when it stops dropping the system should be free from air.

VWJohn81
30-04-2009, 10:19 PM
ah I see. cool - cheers for that :)