PDA

View Full Version : Question A3 1.6 sports, R reg (98) Service Oil on oddometer

CHAMBO25
30-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi this is my first post on this forum so here goes!!!

I am looking for a little advice from someone with the knowledge about my service oil light that comes on everytime i start the car, i purchased the car last week & the gentleman told me of two things with the car one of them is that the oil service comes up in writing on the oddometer he said that he has had a service done on the vehicle and a couple of weeks later the service thing appeared, he said it just needs to go into a garage to have it removed,would you say this is true????? the actual oil warning indicator light has not lit up so in my opinion i would say this is true,but am looking for someone with the knowledge to say yes. My friend checked the oil in the car & said it was at the minimum level although i did not see this myself, so i went and bought a litre of oil & added it when checking the dip stick it came up to about 3mm over the maximum fill mark,if the level was so low i dont believe the litre i added would go to 3mm above the max, any answers to that??
When taking off the oil cap the car seems to be very slightly burning oil after doing 80 miles the oil level is still at the same level which is obviously good for me!!!

I think im looking for someone to turn around to me n say yeah what your is spot on get the service oil removed at a garage & the car will be fine!!

Thanks for reading any replies would be very grateful (CHAMBO25)

kite
30-04-2009, 03:47 PM
You can reset the service light.
I would change the oil and filter for peace of mind and then reset the service indicator.

Have a look in the how to thread
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14553

CHAMBO25
30-04-2009, 04:35 PM
You can reset the service light.
I would change the oil and filter for peace of mind and then reset the service indicator.

Have a look in the how to thread
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14553

Very useful information my friend the only problem i have is the year of my car (98) only has buttons 1&2 to play with!!!! do you have the information for resetting this???? cheers

engineermk
30-04-2009, 04:42 PM
i'd recommend draining some oil asap, running with too much oil can casue issues, the worst one being a damaged catalyst.

Also, any oil will smell if teh engine has been run a long time at high speed and its still warm.

CHAMBO25
30-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Rite then problem now solved!!!! For the people that are having the same problem this is how you do it with the models that only have the trip reset & clock button!!!!!

1, press & hold trip reset button
2,whilst holding the button down turn on the ignition 1 click
3,Release trip reset
4,turn clock button clockwise whilst holding the button in
5,turn off ignition

Outcome........

= three dashes like so ---

turn on ignition & problem solved!!!

works the same for the golf:biglaugh:

CHAMBO25
30-04-2009, 04:49 PM
i'd recommend draining some oil asap, running with too much oil can casue issues, the worst one being a damaged catalyst.

Also, any oil will smell if teh engine has been run a long time at high speed and its still warm.

cheers for the info pal its about 3mm over max daft question but will it really cause damage being this little over????? wont the engine burn off the small amount of extra oil???