PDA

View Full Version : Whistling noise when accelerating

southbank
29-04-2009, 04:29 PM
My local garage changed the oil pump on my A4 1.8T, 02 plate, and since getting it back there is a whistling sound every time I press the accelerator when the car is moving (as opposed to when in neutral), it is very evident when on a quiet road and really annoying. It is like a siren going up in tone and then down, each time the accelarator is used.

Are there any ideas as to the cause and what is needed to sort it?

The mechanic hinted it might be the start of the turbo going but I aint sure.

Thanks

Dark Horse
30-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Certainly sounds like the turbo, does it only kick in when you floor it? Does it go up and down as and when you use the throttle or is it erratic?

churp
30-04-2009, 11:04 AM
split in turbo pipe?? turbo pipe not seated correctly?? its actually more common for a pipe to split than it is a turbo to go. also its also alot cheaper if pipe rather than turbo goes.

southbank
30-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Certainly sounds like the turbo, does it only kick in when you floor it? Does it go up and down as and when you use the throttle or is it erratic?

It is heard as soon as the car starts moving and the whistling sound rises then falls, I would say it is not erratic and it happens I think in all gears. The car is noisier when going faster and it is more difficult to hear the whistling in a higher gear. My foot can be just on the throttle and holding the throttle level in any gear and the tone rises and falls. It seems louder in 1st and 2nd.

Does that help pin it down?