PDA

View Full Version : Brakes and electric windows

AudiA62.5TDI
27-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Good morning.

I have been really impressed by the comments on this forum and hence why I have subscribed.

I purchased a 1998 2.5TDI Avant last weekend with 85k on the clock and a full service history. I paid £5k and driving last week I was very pleased with myself.

Typically, and after driving 500 miles during the week (still smiling and doing a very respectful MPG for a big car) I have started to notice two things which are annoying, but hopefully not too much of a problem. I live in rural glawstershire and a good mechanic is hard to find, so I thought that I might invite any members advice on the following problem.

The brakes are very effective and on my test drive it stopped true and straight doing 50mph in a quite empty car park. However, I have now noticed that when I brake to a stop (not every time, just now and again) there is a single knock coming from what appears to be above both front wheels. The car had the recall, and has had the lower and upper suspension replaced at 60k, although this was in 2004 ( a lovely old couple owned the car and sold it since they were not driving it very much). After the single knock, there is no secondary problem. Just until the next occassion. It happens just before the car comes to a standstill.

The brake pedal sometimes feels a little hard but still brakes. Not sure if the servo is on its way out.

Finally, front electric windows come down quickly enough but rises very slowly. Not sure if this is a matter of lubrication since they are dry (the previous owner said that he relied upon the air conditioning rather than open a window) or if I need a new regulator?

Any advice would be greatly received. I dont want to book the car in until I have some idea of what it could be and as a result of the knock on braking I am using our second car.

I'll keep you posted on any diagnosis, but would really appreciate some guidance.

Regards

jammapic
17-08-2007, 04:29 PM
the windows sound like the motors might be tired, however try lubing them up and see what it does!

Did you ever get a reply about your single knock? I have a similar thing on my Golf!

JP

Peter D
17-08-2007, 05:08 PM
This will probably a inner and upper suspension arm bush that has split. It could be that something is just not torqued up properly but I suspect a bush. Not too expensive to change and will improve handling as well. I assume you mean just one of the windows are slow or all the windows are slow to go up. This could just be the runners are dirty and bone dry. Regards Peter

jammapic
17-08-2007, 05:14 PM
where would i need to look to find this bush that might be split? it can knock on acceleration/braking/ or turning!!!!

Niall76
18-08-2007, 12:47 PM
THe window problem is very common. It's usually dirt. Clean out the rubber runner and lube up with silicon lube. Even just cleaning them up will help a lot. You'll be surprised at the amount of dirt in them.

You say your car had a recall in 2004. Can I ask what exactly for? Just wondering if mine should have been in?

jammapic
18-08-2007, 05:20 PM
turns out the subframe was loose!!! problem solved!

bchang
21-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Good morning.

I have been really impressed by the comments on this forum and hence why I have subscribed.

I purchased a 1998 2.5TDI Avant last weekend with 85k on the clock and a full service history. I paid £5k and driving last week I was very pleased with myself.

Typically, and after driving 500 miles during the week (still smiling and doing a very respectful MPG for a big car) I have started to notice two things which are annoying, but hopefully not too much of a problem. I live in rural glawstershire and a good mechanic is hard to find, so I thought that I might invite any members advice on the following problem.

The brakes are very effective and on my test drive it stopped true and straight doing 50mph in a quite empty car park. However, I have now noticed that when I brake to a stop (not every time, just now and again) there is a single knock coming from what appears to be above both front wheels. The car had the recall, and has had the lower and upper suspension replaced at 60k, although this was in 2004 ( a lovely old couple owned the car and sold it since they were not driving it very much). After the single knock, there is no secondary problem. Just until the next occassion. It happens just before the car comes to a standstill.

The brake pedal sometimes feels a little hard but still brakes. Not sure if the servo is on its way out.

Finally, front electric windows come down quickly enough but rises very slowly. Not sure if this is a matter of lubrication since they are dry (the previous owner said that he relied upon the air conditioning rather than open a window) or if I need a new regulator?

Any advice would be greatly received. I dont want to book the car in until I have some idea of what it could be and as a result of the knock on braking I am using our second car.

I'll keep you posted on any diagnosis, but would really appreciate some guidance.

Regards

I have an audi A6 and had the same problems with my windows, eventually took it to Audi for a fix! i guess the brushes may be worn, regards, Barry Chang